Sponsored

Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

Stang201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Convertible
Did you put the broken side facing the passenger side? I would think to prevent it from sliding left (off) you would want the intact side on the drivers side.
Sponsored

Wayne K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Did you put the broken side facing the passenger side? I would think to prevent it from sliding left (off) you would want the intact side on the drivers side.
That is the way I did it.

Stang201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Removal and use of valve spring

I removed my clutch spring yesterday and immediately felt a difference. It did not feel much heavier to push down but it did feel as if the travel distance was less. I have since taken the approach of another member and used a stretched out valve spring in place of the stock spring. I just installed this today and will test it for a day or so before posting my final thoughts. Stock spring is def gone for good, just a matter of whether I use the valve spring in its place or remove the assembly completely.

Stang201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So after trying the valve spring in place of the stock spring, I have decided that complete removal is the best approach. Feels so much more natural and I can actually predict the "grab" point. After going over it with a mechanic friend, we concluded that there is really no way that removal can affect the TOB or wear the clutch prematurely. For those who are concerned think about this, the spring is at its relaxed state when the clutch is to the floor, meaning that when your foot is not on the clutch, the spring is actually trying to push the clutch down. With the spring assembly in, and your foot resting on the clutch, there are now two forces pushing down on the pedal (your foot and the spring) which would likely be worse than just the weight of your foot resting on it. Therefore, removal of the spring is probably better for the clutch and TOB as you are removing downward pressure. Also, I did not actually notice any difference in the weight of the clutch and neither did my friend. Hope this helps those of you concerned about wearing out the TOB or clutch. JUST REMOVE IT.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
So after trying the valve spring in place of the stock spring, I have decided that complete removal is the best approach. Feels so much more natural and I can actually predict the "grab" point. After going over it with a mechanic friend, we concluded that there is really no way that removal can affect the TOB or wear the clutch prematurely. For those who are concerned think about this, the spring is at its relaxed state when the clutch is to the floor, meaning that when your foot is not on the clutch, the spring is actually trying to push the clutch down. With the spring assembly in, and your foot resting on the clutch, there are now two forces pushing down on the pedal (your foot and the spring) which would likely be worse than just the weight of your foot resting on it. Therefore, removal of the spring is probably better for the clutch and TOB as you are removing downward pressure. Also, I did not actually notice any difference in the weight of the clutch and neither did my friend. Hope this helps those of you concerned about wearing out the TOB or clutch. JUST REMOVE IT.
Fail. Your friend is not a good mechanic. The pivot point of the spring is towards the middle of travel which means that the spring is pushing the pedal up at the beginning and down at the end of the travel. It switches from 'hindering' to 'helping' at the pivot point right near the clutch engagement which is why it feels so funny.

Sponsored

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
Fail. Your friend is not a good mechanic. The pivot point of the spring is towards the middle of travel which means that the spring is pushing the pedal up at the beginning and down at the end of the travel. It switches from 'hindering' to 'helping' at the pivot point right near the clutch engagement which is why it feels so funny.
This.

Stang201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree to disagree. I look at the motion of the assembly and see the spring go from compressed to relaxed in one motion. If the spring (due to positioning) gets compressed initially then goes to relaxed, it is so slight that it is not noticeable by the naked eye. I would venture to say that if your explanation is correct, the hindering/helping pivot point is maybe 10% into the pedal press, not in the middle. Either way the spring is staying out.

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
Agree to disagree. I look at the motion of the assembly and see the spring go from compressed to relaxed in one motion.
No it's not. Look at the video:

And if you're still not convinced re-read this thread and pay attention to people's feedback about the fact that the pedal does not retract all the way after spring removal!

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
And if you're still not convinced re-read this thread and pay attention to people's feedback about the fact that the pedal does not retract all the way after spring removal!
+1 ... the mechanism is more complicated than some "mechanics" can understand.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I will take mine out when Ford says it's unnecessary. When it's something like a sound tube I get that, but monkeying around with pedal movement (apparently few of us understand, myself included) is a roll of the dice.

Wayne K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I will take mine out when Ford says it's unnecessary. When it's something like a sound tube I get that, but monkeying around with pedal movement (apparently few of us understand, myself included) is a roll of the dice.

It would be nice if someone from Ford would chime in and give us an answer as what we can expect if the devise is removed.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
When I was still in Fordland (Dearborn), MI, I got to speak to someone responsible for the clutch and transmission design/testing for this car. He was very interested in my feedback about the clutch spring removal and basically said that the spring is there to meet the Global requirements for lower pedal efforts. Never once mentioned anything to worry about. Again, the weight of the pedal itself is not remotely enough to hydraulically actuate the clutch and put any pressure on the TOB.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
It's a simple spring, not rocket surgery. Ford's effort to lighten the clutch pedal comes with some nasty side affects.

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
Removed spring yesterday. I had forgotten what a difference this made is pedal feel.
I had done the same thing to my 2012 GT.

The spring will NOT be going back on !!
Sponsored