Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
I need to take it out.

I have 4 vehicles with a manual.

95 Cobra with cable operated clutch is heaviest.
05 GT with Mccleod clutch is next heaviest.
07 Tacoma with vague as hell clutch.
15 GT PP which is so light it feels like it isnt there.

Drove my 95 and 05 last week and the feel is so much better. Hope in the 15 and instantly feel retarded.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, I think the spring changes the pedal feedback as it moves rather than a progressive more natural feel.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Clutch Spring Removal

Thought I'd post AGAIN in this thread just for the heck of it. My 2015 was the first manual that I'd driven in 20 years. I thought it was me! I couldn't let out the clutch in first and second with out bucking or ridding the dang thing.

Then I saw the "Clutch Spring Removal" thread post on the forum, and removed mine before I had 500 moles on the car. What a DIFFERENCE! It was great! I could drive the car the way it should be driven. BUT! I ended up just FREAKING hating the manual, rowing through the gears from light to light, stop to stop, took all the joy out of it.

I ended up terminating the clutch spring and the entire clutch apparatus all together with extreme prejudice, by selling the 2015 Mustang GT back to the dealer and ordering a 2016 Premium GT with auto. :clap2:

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Okay, I just bit the bullet.

I was having a really tough time engaging first or second smoothly, particularly when already in motion or at low speeds. Even upshifting was a bit tricky.

This has been annoying to me because I've not regularly driven an AT vehicle for over a decade and dammit, I know how to operate a clutch.

Thus, with 500 miles on my GT, the clutch spring came out.

First impression: Hm. Heavier pedal.
Second impression, once the vehicle was on motion: Okay, clutch spring is not going back in. It is WAY more linear and consistent now!

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Someone save me from reading through all 54 pages of this on tapatalk please. If this has already been covered I apologize. But I used to have a 370Z and this was a popular free MOD on those as well. However you had to deal with .25 to .5" of dead pedal at the top with the spring removed. I hated that just about as much as having the spring installed. But luckily someone in the 370Z community found a spring in the exact same size it just had only about 25% of the force as the factory one. He sourced them in bulk bc that's all they could be purchased at and he sold them to forum members individually shipping regular mail making about a $1 a spring for his trouble. Anyone do that here yet? When I got my 13 GT I just left the spring and got used to the clutch. So when I got my 15 GT it was just more of the same pedal feel but was already used it. So never bothered. But recently I have seen many give great reviews from removing the spring but not many mention any dead pedal at the top afterwards. Is this a non issue on the s550 with the spring out?

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Someone save me from reading through all 54 pages of this on tapatalk please. If this has already been covered I apologize. But I used to have a 370Z and this was a popular free MOD on those as well. However you had to deal with .25 to .5" of dead pedal at the top with the spring removed. I hated that just about as much as having the spring installed. But luckily someone in the 370Z community found a spring in the exact same size it just had only about 25% of the force as the factory one. He sourced them in bulk bc that's all they could be purchased at and he sold them to forum members individually shipping regular mail making about a $1 a spring for his trouble. Anyone do that here yet? When I got my 13 GT I just left the spring and got used to the clutch. So when I got my 15 GT it was just more of the same pedal feel but was already used it. So never bothered. But recently I have seen many give great reviews from removing the spring but not many mention any dead pedal at the top afterwards. Is this a non issue on the s550 with the spring out?
some have sourced a different spring for the s550 as well. Ive read some complain about a slight dead space too.

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Comp Orange. 65 Fastback ,T5, 302
It was me. Any small block ford valve spring will fit... I think. I used one out of an old set of 351w heads and it works great. It's in this thread somewhere

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I don't have any dead space on mine.

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Did this last night to my car. No apparent dead areas in travel, feels much better. No regrets, and I am always a fan a reducing component complexity and weight.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Did this last night to my car. No apparent dead areas in travel, feels much better. No RAGRETS, and I am always a fan a reducing component complexity and weight.
Fixed!

Well now the dead space at the top of the pedal seems pretty hit or miss. I guess I'll give it a try myself this weekend and find out.

Hopefully this is how I'll feel too!
a0dbfab09b3e136a9e6a743162bc1690.jpg

AutoX_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack - Black
Just removed the spring last night and i wish i had done this the first week i owned the car! Clutch pedal is the perfect amount of pressure now with a linear friction point. Feels exactly like my Old WS6 T/A did.

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
That's a cool car.

GTPP people have you noticed a reduction in the thumping of the MT 82 since removing the clutch spring.

I don't hear it nearly as much.
I just pulled the clutch spring yesterday. I don't recall hearing the thump since then but I don't recall NOT hearing it. TBH I doubt that the clutch spring has anything to do with that.
Sponsored