Sponsored

Clutch Spring Removal to Aid in Linear Pressure

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I did check with Ford 3 to 4 months ago and you could not get just the spring setup, just the whole pedal assembly which was about $100. Maybe that has changed.
:doh:
Sponsored

thabrownieviking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Performance pack 6 speed
I broke part of one of the ears on mine and I did put in back in with the broken side facing the passenger side and it still works fine.

I did check with Ford 3 to 4 months ago and you could not get just the spring setup, just the whole pedal assembly which was about $100. Maybe that has changed.
Oh boy haha, I think mine might be too broken to work I'll check it out though. That's kind of stupid if you have to buy the entire pedal assembly for one little part.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
Just removed it earlier today when I got home from work, and broke off a piece during removal, which I'm not happy about in case I want to put it back.

Tomorrow morning's commute is when I'll be able to tell if it was worth it or not. From a quick 2 minute drive after removal it felt significantly heavier (closer to my S197) but engagement is linear and predictable which is more important to me. I can get re-used to the heavier clutch, and hopefully my shifts will be smoother now.
My 2010 is much heavier. Without the spring, this one feels perfect to me.

I love the clutch and the shifting action...I'm trying to learn to live with the thud. I am going to drive another GT Saturday to see if it is like mine. I notice it's much worse with the windows down (which I won't be doing much of in the scheme of things) but have been riding with them down since I got it (mostly) as the weather has been perfect.

It should sound worse with the windows up, but 'tis not the case. :crazy: Thankfully, I guess.

113, do you notice the thud?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the clutch and the shifting action...I'm trying to learn to live with the thud. I am going to drive another GT Saturday to see if it is like mine. I notice it's much worse with the windows down (which I won't be doing much of in the scheme of things) but have been riding with them down since I got it (mostly) as the weather has been perfect.
The only time I hear a slight thud in my GT is if I'm not smooth on the clutch pedal and engage the clutch real abruptly. It sends a shock down the driveline and that's when the thud occurs - something in the driveline is reacting to a shock input. When I shift smoothly, the whole driveline is pretty quiet.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Mine does it anytime I unload the drive train when cruising around at slow speeds. It's normal, every manual I've ever driven has done it.

Sponsored

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
The only time I hear a slight thud in my GT is if I'm not smooth on the clutch pedal and engage the clutch real abruptly. It sends a shock down the driveline and that's when the thud occurs - something in the driveline is reacting to a shock input. When I shift smoothly, the whole driveline is pretty quiet.
Mine does it anytime I unload the drive train when cruising around at slow speeds. It's normal, every manual I've ever driven has done it.
Mine must be doing something different than yours. I have had 11 manual vehicles in the past 30 years and none of them has made this sound. Sounds like the thump a subwoofer makes when turning on/off except a lot louder. And it has not a thing to do with technique. Going to see the dealer tomorrow.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine must be doing something different than yours. I have had 11 manual vehicles in the past 30 years and none of them has made this sound. Sounds like the thump a subwoofer makes when turning on/off except a lot louder. And it has not a thing to do with technique. Going to see the dealer tomorrow.
You have the PP with the Torsen differential, so it could be a Torsen thing going on.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
+1. Mine does this too.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Non PP car and mine has never "thudded" once. The PP car I test drove did do it though but it didn't seem to bother me but then again driving it day in and day out it could but I doubt it.

WeinerDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT/PP
I drove a non-PP '16 today at the dealer and it did NOT do what mine does. I could barely and I mean barely hear it and only because I'm so attuned to it. Made an appt with the service dept for Monday.

BTW, I drove two other PP cars and a non-PP before ordering mine and didn't notice it...

Sponsored

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Clutch Spring Removal Review

Hi guys, so I have the 5.0GT with PP pack and from the day I bought the car I could not feel a consistency with the clutch because there is no feel at all (very light). I read on the forum removing the spring will bring more feel to the clutch and after doing so I couldn't agree more!!!! The car has transformed I feel like I can control it so much better and shift alot smoother. It actually feels like a real clutch now and I feel like a real driver instead of guessing and messing up. Highly recommend removing the spring even before driving out of the dealership, just push in the clutch and pull it out with your hand (pliers were useless). Don't think Im gonna be putting that spring in like ever haha. My pleasure of driving a manual is finally restored again!

Reactions: 113

MultiMediaWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Magnetic
I agree 100%. I just pulled my spring out over the weekend and it really made a huge difference. My shifting is so smooth that a passenger couldn't tell that it's a manual. The only problem was that I drove so much the day I removed my spring that my left leg was sore the next day.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
True it is like 50 percent heavier, but at lights i leave it in neutral with handbrake, helps alot

MultiMediaWill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Magnetic
True it is like 50 percent heavier, but at lights i leave it in neutral with handbrake, helps alot
Same. I throw it in neutral and use the foot brake.

Qyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 10A
First time driving manual and want to try removing the spring, but i don't want to break anything during the removal. What part should i be worry about breaking? anyone got any pics of the part that breaks during removal?
Sponsored