What aftermarket grill should I buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I am lost when it comes to picking out a new grille for my 2016 GT and could use the wisdom of this group. I have a few criteria:

1. No drilling or structural changes required by installation - plug and play only
2. No busy designs or LED lights that make the front too busy - I like a clean look
3. Easy to clean, structurally sound
4. Removes the pony badge because I find it personally too busy and like something subtle like the Bullitt look.

There's three options I'm mulling right now -- the MMD V-Series Grille, the RTR Grille, and a mod from Custom Car Grilles.

MMD V-Series
This is a very race-inspired look. I like the clean lines but there's not a lot of protection for the car internals. Generally has great reviews and I think it would complement the badgeless look I'm going for.

RTR Grille
Great reviews, solid build quality, and a very subtle change from the OEM "fang" design. This is a very clean look without being too outlandish.

Custom Car Grilles
I like the clean look. Would probably get the mesh in glass black to complement the shiny paneling on the backside. It's basically a badgeless look with better airflow. Downside is I need to buy some tools and I've heard that the increased air flow sometimes interferes with open CAI (I have the GT350 CAI).

Thoughts and opinions welcomed. Please let me know what you think and what your experiences are with aftermarket grilles!
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I really can't stand the honeycomb, or the chrome pony, so I went this route....
The Tri-bar is going to be replaced with a Howler badge over winter
DSC_1040.jpg

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
OP a photo of each of each of the grilles you're suggesting might be helpful in getting folks to vote

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Honeycomb mesh in flat...did the work myself. Really not hard just take your time.
New Front 3.jpg

OP
OP
Aurum

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The custom car mesh route is super compelling. Is the mounting with the super glue really that solid? I'm afraid of it coming loose and having to redo it.

I'm also trying to figure out if I like the OEM fang angles or the RTR angle.

Super hard decision. :(

Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The custom car mesh route is super compelling. Is the mounting with the super glue really that solid? I'm afraid of it coming loose and having to redo it.

I'm also trying to figure out if I like the OEM fang angles or the RTR angle.

Super hard decision. :(
Mine hasn't come loose yet.....drove it all summer... I would suggest not only using the Goop that comes with it but I also used Flexseal. Goop is really strong but its hard to get between the mesh and the grill(plus its real runny at first). Make sure the Mesh is as flat against the grill as possible and fill in any gaps with flex seal. Most of all just take your time and don't rush it. I rushed some and had to fix a few spots.

EDIT: Also opening your grill will really increase airflow under the hood. I installed working vents in mine at the same time and I still get hood movement now at speed(think Mexico speeds) so keep that in mind.

OP
OP
Aurum

Aurum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Is the
EDIT: Also opening your grill will really increase airflow under the hood. I installed working vents in mine at the same time and I still get hood movement now at speed(think Mexico speeds) so keep that in mind.
I'm a little worried about the added airflow with my GT350 open CAI and added drag. Anything to be concerned about from your experience?

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
I like the CS grille. Very clean and no fangs.
40065B83-8041-46DF-A33D-62686406EFA8.jpeg

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I love the Dusold Designs grille. Out of your choices I would probably go RTR

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is the

I'm a little worried about the added airflow with my GT350 open CAI and added drag. Anything to be concerned about from your experience?
I have the Steeda Open CAI and havnt noticed any issues. The only thing I have is some hood movement at speeds now with the vastly increased airflow. I do have 100% working vents installed as well and still get some movement so you may need to adjust your hood latch and bumpers to stabilize it...or not..just depends on what it set at from the factory.

Sponsored