bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking at the aluminator block but then there are also people who have been on a regular block and have not had issues if everything else is put in place. I was told I should want the higher compression of a gen 3 over a gen 2. Could build one but for the 2500 price difference, that an oil cooler set up, GT500 oil pan and more.
Yeah if you are tuned sure 12:1 should be better. I was looking into Aluminator mostly because better components and with 11:1 I wouldn't need to get rid of the FP3 tune (not that this is a big deal ) and you are doing cams as well. Also if doing cams consider doing stiffer valve springs.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
But who knows…if I hit a 20 leg parlay today on Fan Duel you guys might see me with a new GT4 engine by next week lol.

Gotta make some light in a time of darkness.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I was running 93 tune. Have been for years. I didn’t want to swap to different fuel because of the extra maintenance required. I don’t have the oil balancing lines. My mechanic said that could’ve helped.
Great info. The balancing lines are on my list to knock out this summer when the car is down for a few months.

My read on them is some say they work, some say they don't. Personally, for the price, it seems like an easy decision to install them. Kind of a pain to get to, but if it saves an engine...

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Great info. The balancing lines are on my list to knock out this summer when the car is down for a few months.

My read on them is some say they work, some say they don't. Personally, for the price, it seems like an easy decision to install them. Kind of a pain to get to, but if it saves an engine...
Consider they are not added on a GT4 motor so most likely they don't do big benefit.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Consider they are not added on a GT4 motor so most likely they don't do big benefit.
It’s on the FP350S which I would believe is more similar to our motor than a GT4

Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Yea agree. It was on my list of things to do eventually. I feel like it’s one of those things that will just make you feel a bit better about your car lol whether or not it is beneficial.
We don’t need a 5 car garage with 2 post lift but it makes you feel a bit better about your residence. Same logic ya know lol.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Welp. Life has its challenges. Looks like I’ll be sidelined for some time this year. Took car for a P0316 and P0308 code. Thought it was spark plug fix. Mechanic did compression test on 8 and came back 80psi. Cracked/broken ring land. Talked to Shaun at AED. New engine is needed. Talked to mechanic on a plan.

Gen 3 block
Gen 2 heads
350 ported IM
Gt500 oil pan and pump kit
47lb injector to run e85
L&M intake only cams(MAYBE)

Shaun said I should’ve switched to a race fuel tune or e85. Cylinder 8 gets very hot. At 30k mi on the car I didn’t expect to be in this position. Really sucks after doing everything I did this summer. Drove the car for the first time in 5 months after fixing the transmission issues. No summit Point on Friday for me.

Oh well. Such is life. Will update with the other progress and results on the other stuff I did
This sucks, sorry to hear =/. Hopefully you'll have it back up better than ever soon.

I've never heard of this being a problem so now I'm a little concerned for my own too. Are there other things that help mitigate this? I saw someone mention the oil balancing lines.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
This sucks, sorry to hear =/. Hopefully you'll have it back up better than ever soon.

I've never heard of this being a problem so now I'm a little concerned for my own too. Are there other things that help mitigate this? I saw someone mention the oil balancing lines.
Yea I’ve been thinking how I could’ve avoided this. My shift point is pretty low given the capability of what it can be. Shaun said I can go to 7700 but I shift at 7300 for heat management. I did hear/read that road Atlanta is hard on engines. But detonation occurred and the way to prevent that is e85. I just didn’t want to have to switch between tunes and lug several gallons of it for a track day. I’ll probably do an e85 tune and 100 or 110 tune so if I run out of e85 I can switch to race fuel.

cylinder 8 is known to get hot but damn…I’ve NEVER had CHT issues on track. Once it gets to 235 I back off.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
And honestly it could be lack of maintenance on my part. I track my car and am still on original plugs from when I bought the car. I should’ve changed them more often. Some people say once a year. My mechanic said they were gapped out of spec and were toast

Sponsored

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Yea I’ve been thinking how I could’ve avoided this. My shift point is pretty low given the capability of what it can be. Shaun said I can go to 7700 but I shift at 7300 for heat management. I did hear/read that road Atlanta is hard on engines. But detonation occurred and the way to prevent that is e85. I just didn’t want to have to switch between tunes and lug several gallons of it for a track day. I’ll probably do an e85 tune and 100 or 110 tune so if I run out of e85 I can switch to race fuel.

cylinder 8 is known to get hot but damn…I’ve NEVER had CHT issues on track. Once it gets to 235 I back off.
Sorry to hear this happened man! You're build thread has given me tons of advice with tracking mustangs!

I usually set off once the cylinder temps reach 225 though! 235 is only 10 degrees away from where the engine starts to pull timing.

MrMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 23 Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
CHT is from above cylinder 4, correct?

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Sorry to hear this happened man! You're build thread has given me tons of advice with tracking mustangs!

I usually set off once the cylinder temps reach 225 though! 235 is only 10 degrees away from where the engine starts to pull timing.
Sorry I misspoke. I just checked my datalogs. Car never went above 210. I don’t think I ever venture off in the 220s. I shift lower and I run 60% water plus water wetter. Also have a heat shield underneath the manifold.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Sorry I misspoke. I just checked my datalogs. Car never went above 210. I don’t think I ever venture off in the 220s. I shift lower and I run 60% water plus water wetter. Also have a heat shield underneath the manifold.
In your logs, was that your coolant temp or cylinder head temp? I know in my data logs it does not record cylinder head temp (I thought it was CHT in the logs but it's not a selectable data point with what I use for whatever reason). My coolant gets around 210, but my CHT definitely gets up to 235 from the gauge cluster on hot days where I have to start backing off.