Sponsored

93 Tune - car feels slower.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm on a Livernois Flex tune in which I run E70 in the summer and 93 in the winter. I just switched back to 93 last week and I cannot believe how much slower the car feels especially in the lower RPM's .. Night and Day! Can't wait to get back to E!
Sponsored

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
The tune should feel faster even with 93 since the stock tune is based on 87 octane. With good 93 you should be able to get atleast 3 degrees of advanced timing over the stock tune in mid range power. Atleast I did, but I also have a few more mods than just a CAI. Very noticeable difference compared to stock for me. Sounds like you either have terrible gas or the tuner possibly didn't bother to change any timing and just adjusted the MAF curve for the intake. If that's the case you won't feel much difference at all but it should not feel slower. Stock tune is so sluggish. My 2 cent

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Get a Ford performance tune and power pack... Had a 21 GT and it was incredibly lazy with it even when using quality gas. Honestly felt like it would lose to a 6 cylinder Camry. Biggest waste of money ever.
While I've had my own problems with that tune, I still saw a small improvement in performance even with the 5 degrees of knock it would have all the time šŸ˜‚

I suspect you had the same thing, knock city. It definitely ruins things.

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
All I can say is my car is mostly stock, just a CAI and Catback. The 93 tune on my car made a noticeable difference, particularly with low end torque. Although, my car is a manual. And yes, I have flashes it back to stock and then to the tune again just to double check. Pulls .uch stronger and more instantaneously in every gear than without the tune.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
All I can say is my car is mostly stock, just a CAI and Catback. The 93 tune on my car made a noticeable difference, particularly with low end torque. Although, my car is a manual. And yes, I have flashes it back to stock and then to the tune again just to double check. Pulls .uch stronger and more instantaneously in every gear than without the tune.
Street rolls or track pulls from a dig?

OP
OP
newmoon

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
Thank you for all of the responses. I have asked the tuner to please review the logs and tune one more time. I'm a bit nervous though as they also sent an E85 tune and I was getting ready to load the tune and noticed it was for another mustang model (wrong car), I don't think that would have ended well had I not noticed and loaded it.

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This might be a stretch, but what weather is he driving it in? I have a 93oct performance tune and my car feels the most aggressive in acceleration and power in 60Ā°F-64Ā°F. Anything in the 50Ā° or 70Ā°+ makes it feel like the acceleration and performance is is slacking.

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
While I've had my own problems with that tune, I still saw a small improvement in performance even with the 5 degrees of knock it would have all the time šŸ˜‚

I suspect you had the same thing, knock city. It definitely ruins things.
Yep. Ultimately it just wasn't worth the hassle. It's a shame since they advertised such a positive gain across the board that my car just wasn't able to take advantage of in reality.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Iā€™m going to try and make it out to the drag strip tomorrow and see how my car performs on the Lund 93 tune for the first time ever. Granted the temperatures are much cooler now than when I last ran the car on E85 in 90+ degree temps, but weā€™ll see what happens.

Sponsored

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Be aware that a "trick" tuners will use is to make the throttle touchier (ie. more responsive). You may be feeling that.

I hate a lazy throttle so I've got a SprintBooster which has 18 levels of adjustability so I told my tuner to not touch the throttle tables.

BlueThunder16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Be aware that a "trick" tuners will use is to make the throttle touchier (ie. more responsive). You may be feeling that.

I hate a lazy throttle so I've got a SprintBooster which has 18 levels of adjustability so I told my tuner to not touch the throttle tables.
Yes, very aware of that. But I feel like if that was the case with my car, the throttle would be touchier in say the first 50% of the pedal travel, for example, and then die off after that. But my throttle feels pretty linear now and it just keeps pulling throughout the duration of all the gears in comparison to the way it originally felt. Even in 5th or 6th I don't necessarily have to downshift anymore to do a moderate pass like before. And I'm definitely chirping gears now when doing a pull, where before that wouldn't always happen. I'm pretty confident it's making more power based on all those factors. But, that being said, I haven't dynoed it to confirm power gains, nor do I plan to.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Just noticed you've got a 2016 ... when i had my 2016 it was the same. The newer 2018+ Coyotes aren't getting the gains the Gen2 Coyotes got.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Iā€™ve been wondering about this too. I recently made two fill-ups on 93 while on my Flex tune during a 500 mile road trip and the car did feel slower. In addition, it had some pops on occasion between shifts. I havenā€™t ran the car on my dedicated 93 tune since the tuning process with Lund 3 1/2 years ago, so I donā€™t know if there would be a huge difference between the 93 tune and the Flex tune. What I can say is, whether Iā€™m running on the Flex tune or E85R tune, the car definitely feels much crisper and quicker with E85 in the tank.
Your car SHOULD feel and BE much faster with E70+ in the tank versus 93 on a proper tune. It's worth at LEAST 50 hp on an NA set-up and 75-100or more on forced induction set-ups.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Your car SHOULD feel and BE much faster with E70+ in the tank versus 93 on a proper tune. It's worth at LEAST 50 hp on an NA set-up and 75-100or more on forced induction set-ups.
Exactly! Unfortunately, Iā€˜m stuck with 3/4 of a tank of 93, so I figured Iā€™d go ahead and see what itā€™ll do on the 93 since Iā€™ve never had a chance to try it out at the track.
Sponsored