Sponsored

2018 GT 10 Speed AUTO Owners Review

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Great review. The A10 seems to operates exactly like my A6, but with 4 more gears. I don't miss the manual either, with the A6. The A10 sure does seem to shift a lot. The digital dash is cool.
Sponsored

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to understand, is the consensus that the 2018 GT 10 speed (auto), faster overall, than a 2017 GT (auto)?

Thanks

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yes. Considerably faster than a 15-17 auto.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Yeah it's strange. Some people absolutely love the new 10 speed but I've read a few reviews where they didn't care for it at all. Definitely need to drive one for myself.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Hey, thanks for the great video. If I end up in another mustang, will be the A10 for sure.

Not to derail this thread, but since you had an '15 ecoboost prior, can you comment on the hood when viewed from the drivers seat? Does it still look like it is a football field long or does the fact it has been dropped a bit make a difference?

Sponsored

15GTBEN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SRT Hellcat A8, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Has the M6 been tested yet? I know the A8 was far superior than the M6 in the alpha Camaro in terms of acceleration, I don't see why we'd expect a different outcome here.
I don't know about superior. It's quicker from a dig and has the advantage in the 1/4mile and 60 ft but not from a roll against someone that can properly shift.
The tremec 6m also seems to be more reliable and stout than the a8.
There have been many complaints of flaky issues with the a8. The slow responding paddle shifts (like in the stangs A6) dull the experience in sport mode.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Knasir -

Great, honest and thorough “real” synopsis of the new 2018 10 speed auto!

BTW where in S.Jersey are you?

Best of luck with the ride!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't know about superior. It's quicker from a dig and has the advantage in the 1/4mile and 60 ft but not from a roll against someone that can properly shift.
The tremec 6m also seems to be more reliable and stout than the a8.
There have been many complaints of flaky issues with the a8. The slow responding paddle shifts (like in the stangs A6) dull the experience in sport mode.
That 8 speed seems to hvae a mind of its own. In a bad way too. I hate the fact that it will only bang shifts fast if you're rompin' on it.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
A10 option is the only thing that would make me consider an '18, as the A6 with standard 3.15's rarely keeps someone in the correct power band (and going paddles is slooowww).

But I got a great deal on my '16, so with across the board price increases on the new model I do not see an '18 in my near future.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Go to 13:00 in the first video.

Anyone else notice how QUICK the trans downshifted when he punched it? Seemed almost instant. No hesitation AT ALL.

He was cruising in traffic in 7th at 40mph. He mashed the go pedal and the digit instantly switched to '3' and the car pulled to 65mph 6500rpm. Wow.

Amazing.
Actually, it went 8 - 7 - 3 as he squeezed into it. So I wonder if other people might find such "two-stage" forced downshifts at least mildly annoying. I might be a whole lot more able to appreciate this A10 if there wasn't any 'A' about its shifting.

Norm

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Seriously, that wasn't quick enough for you? The car went from gas mileage mode to Giddy-up almost instantly.

When I do that with my 6R80, it be like "What? You talkin' to ME?" :lol:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Seriously, that wasn't quick enough for you? The car went from gas mileage mode to Giddy-up almost instantly.
The speed with which an automatic can get that kind of a forced downshift done doesn't do anything for me, probably because I just don't drive like that (instantly going from cruise to race). Ever.

I can usually see a enough in advance of when I'm going to want a lower gear to be able to get into it by the time I actually need it.

Maybe the difference is like the difference between street driving as a slower version of road course driving and street driving as the cruising you'd do going from one impromptu rolling-start drag race to the next one. If that makes any sense.

When I do that with my 6R80, it be like "What? You talkin' to ME?" :lol:
Trust me, I do understand this and I can sympathize. Even though it wouldn't make any difference in my own driving because I'd have already dropped it down into a more appropriate gear for whatever the situation was. Might have to re-learn the timing for rev-matching those commanded AT downshifts though.

Norm

lucasmelobr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Auto
I had manuals for many years, went with A6 with my 2016GT, no regrets.
When in traffic, throw it in "D".
When road racing, I use the "S" mode with paddles and never miss a shift while keeping my hands at the wheel.
There is a reason all supercars(including F1) have gone "auto" with paddles for a long time. It's just faster. In addition, I don't have to worry about power/clutch.

I do wonder how the A10 will do with power adders due to the shorter gears.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I had manuals for many years, went with A6 with my 2016GT, no regrets.
When in traffic, throw it in "D".
When road racing, I use the "S" mode with paddles and never miss a shift while keeping my hands at the wheel.
There is a reason all supercars(including F1) have gone "auto" with paddles for a long time. It's just faster. In addition, I don't have to worry about power/clutch.

I do wonder how the A10 will do with power adders due to the shorter gears.
Same here.
Is there anything in the press about the A10 overheating under track conditions?

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
... I don't miss the manual either, with the A6.
I do miss the manual over the A6, A10 would solve that ...
Sponsored