corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I do miss the manual over the A6, A10 would solve that ...
How so?

I'm honestly curious why you think it'd drive any differently (except for doing more shifting).

Norm
Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
How so?

I'm honestly curious why you think it'd drive any differently (except for doing more shifting).

Norm
The A10's "more shifting" is the answer why it would drive any differently.

It keeps you in the power band, that's huge.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Isn't all that extra shifting going to feel "too busy" in normal driving? People already dislike constant 'hunting' between gears in transmissions with as few as 4 forward gears (feels like the AT can't make up its mind).

Trust me, I know what the theoretical advantage is (I might even be able to give you a number for that). But are you really going to notice "being kept in the power band" anywhere except at the track of your choice? How do you know?

ps, it's still going to feel about the same to get it moving from a full stop.

Norm

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
For ultimate performance from an Auto the 10 speed is superior, but the videos I've watched really show a lot of shifting going on. Enough to bother me.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
How many people are going to crash fiddling with all this whiz bang stuff while driving?

Distracted driving overload?

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Early reports on the Mustang specific A10 is that it is a gem, no "busyness/hunting" detected.

And believe me, if you did compute the theoretical performance advantage of keeping a high rpm engine engine in the power band ... it would be more than noticeable.

lastly, there will be no comparison getting it moving from a full stop under load.

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
For ultimate performance from an Auto the 10 speed is superior, but the videos I've watched really show a lot of shifting going on. Enough to bother me.
"Seeing" shifts is not what's important, what one actually feels/experiences in the driver's seat is what matters.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Early reports on the Mustang specific A10 is that it is a gem, no "busyness/hunting" detected.
But will people interpret all those 'extra' upshifts as "too busy"?

And believe me, if you did compute the theoretical performance advantage of keeping a high rpm engine engine in the power band ... it would be more than noticeable.
I know that. I understand gear spacing quite well, from using transmissions where the gear spacings were good, some where the gear spacings weren't so good, and some where some spacings were good and others weren't. That's why I made the exception for use at the track (the only places where it would/should matter).

What I'm mainly saying is that "staying in the powerband" is utterly irrelevant in normal street driving. You barely get up to the bottom of it unless you've got an empty road ahead of you. Even then, it's at most only going to be for 3 quick shifts before you're back to cruise mode. Street driving, remember.

lastly, there will be no comparison getting it moving from a full stop under load.
You're not going to be doing anything more or anything different than what you already do with a 6A or a 5A or an 8A. I'm talking about your part in the process. Sticking your right foot into it and letting up as you reach your intended speed isn't going to change just because the transmission's got a few more gears to choose from.

Norm

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
[MENTION=14511]Knasir84[/MENTION], in normal driving is true that gears are 1 3 5 7?
thanks for the input...

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
"Seeing" shifts is not what's important, what one actually feels/experiences in the driver's seat is what matters.
This ↑↑↑

The catch is if you don't feel any of the shifts at all, it'll be like driving a car with a CVT (kind of numb). But if you clearly feel them all is a 10A going to seem to be too busy, are you going to feel that it's insisting on short-shifting?

I can imagine that 10 closely spaced gears is past the point where manually commanding them all (up and down as on a road course or canyon run) might be more than what many drivers are going to be able to keep up with.

Norm

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
A10 option is the only thing that would make me consider an '18, as the A6 with standard 3.15's rarely keeps someone in the correct power band (and going paddles is slooowww).
Tune fixes all this.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Ford engineers such as Carl Widmann (chief engineer for Mustang) have made it clear that the 10A will skip one or more gears going up and down under normal driving circumstances such as light load.

How many gears do you guys typically use in your canyon runs or road courses? Certainly not all 6. Probably 3 or maybe 4. The 10A probably will only have 1 or 2 more ratios that are relevant to a particular road or track depending on the speed range. With closer ratios I suspect that some "need" to shift will go away because the 10A will have a ratio that works for some corners and the short straights after them.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ford engineers such as Carl Widmann (chief engineer for Mustang) have made it clear that the 10A will skip one or more gears going up and down under normal driving circumstances such as light load.
Thanks, Dick. Hard to imagine they'd insist on using every gear in sequence under those conditions when the gear spacing would probably involve barely a 20% drop in revs in many cases.

Norm

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
TO SHIFT OR NOT TO SHIFT THAT IS THE QUESTION

When ordering my 2018 I really kicked around in my mind. Should I go Auto or Stick. My last car a 2015 GT Premium was auto and it was and is a great car. The Auto made it a no brainer in traffic and around town.............But there was always something missing, I really missed being able to control speed and power when I wanted it. I missed the feel of changing gears and pulling away when I wanted. (Actual physical control) and then there was the" COOL FACTOR" of having the raw power of the engine screaming and someone looking over and see you changing gears. I do not and for the most part will not race my car. But changing gears when you want is the coolist thing you can do. just ask Bill Tumas of CJ Pony Parts his 2018 is 6peed with the 3:73 gears. That just may tell you something. I have driven stick shift my entire life and I love changing gears. But that's just me. Enjoy your rides Gentlemen.
Sponsored