Sponsored

2016 Mustang changes?

Jason Richardson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
'

I didn't include every minute detail of changes. Just a view at major I think we'd be interested in for 2016 changeover.

I agree on the lighted visor mirrors. My 2011 does not have them and I think it's crazy. Even my 2006 Focus had lighted visor mirrors, my 1998 SHO, etc. Not sure why the earlier models didn't have them. If they can put them on a $18k focus I'm sure they could have put them on the 'Stang back in the day.
Guys don't apply make up? :p
Sponsored

Streetcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coupes, cobras etc. had them all
My 2016 prediction --> Sync3, new exterior color options, Performance Package fitted with auto transmission, new rear spoiler, and different rims - color & appearance.

With the GT350 coming, doubt much emphasis of HP gains on the 5.0
I think you nailed it

Kjw86ca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS
I think you nailed it
I agree! I think this is it.

If people are waiting for color changes only, I'd say order now. If you are waiting for Sync 3, I think it's a good possibility it will be available. MyFord Touch swept through the Ford system pretty quickly when it debuted a few years ago. Waiting for 2016 will maybe get you a few new colors, different wheel options, and maybe Sync 3.

McCarthy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Would friggin love the 2.7TT to be put in, and hopefully some sort of very good automatic, such as the amazing 8 speed ZF Gearbox.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's interesting how many people think history wont repeat itself. Ford tends to add quite a bit to be honest each year the Mustang is on sale, even when redesigns happen. It seems we forget really quickly! What makes you think they wont do the same this year?

A little history lesson:

1994: Complete redesign, car debuts with 5.0L V8
1995 and 1996: Introduction of low option / high performance GT "S" model, new engines, Ford debuts 4.6L V8 mid-year 1995 as 1996 offering

2005: Complete redesign
2006: GT performance parts now available on V6 models (The “Pony Package” featured GT-inspired suspension, larger wheels and tires, and a custom grille with fog lamps and Pony emblems.) Also introduced in 2006 was the special-edition Ford Shelby GT-H.
2007: Introduction of GT500 and GT/CS Model
2008: Introduction of Shelby GT and GT500KR
2009: Minor Changes, introduction of glass roof

2010: Complete redesign, debut with 4.6L V8 (power bump and all!) and carryover V6
2011: Introduction of 5.0L and 3.7L, debut of BOSS 302 as 2012 model
2012: The 2012 model was relatively unchanged. For the most part, the car is exactly the same as its 2011 counterpart. In addition to a new exterior color option, Lava Red Metallic, and the deletion of Sterling Gray Metallic

2013: Refresh. Ford introduced a new Ford Shelby GT500 Mustang powered by an aluminum 5.8-liter supercharged V8 producing 662 horsepower and 631 lb.-ft. of torque. Meanwhile, the GT Mustang saw its power increased to 420 horsepower. An optional six-speed SelectShift Automatic transmission was made available, and drivers were able to access Ford’s Track Apps system via a 4.2-inch LCD Screen built into the dash.
2014: The 2014 model year Mustang, the last of the generation, featured a few exterior color changes, and a few package updates. There were no interior updates to the car, and there are no functional equipment changes.
In addition, the special-edition Boss 302 Mustang did not return

2015: Complete redesign
2016: ...?
Wasn't the 2010 S197's 4.6L just the carryover of the Bullitt's? The Coyote was all but confirmed. There's no indication of any outright new powertrains for the S550 at this point. I was under the impression that it's been setup for improvements like direct injection, but why would they ditch such an accomplished motor so quickly? It's received a host of improvements already.

I don't see any serious hardware changes coming anytime in the next year or two, save for maybe a new auto trans.

Sponsored

SWLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think If GM bumps up the camaro HP a decent bit then ford will do the same, but who knows what will happen there.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
I hope they offer the Performance Pack with the auto in 16 since they don't have to worry about stepping on the LE.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
QNX powers the Chrysler and Cadillac systems. Both are universally panned by the critics, more so than even MFT. Why is everyone so sure that Sync 3 will be a great thing?

I see it as moving away from Microsoft because . . . that's just a good idea. I assume MFT software costs Ford a bundle and QNX will be a lot less expensive.

Follow the money.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I think it will at least be a faster and more responsive system due to the hardware upgrades. Much faster CPU, more memory, etc... It should be nice. That said, I'm perfectly happy with MFT.

Sponsored

midnite9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 GT
Wasn't the 2010 S197's 4.6L just the carryover of the Bullitt's? The Coyote was all but confirmed. There's no indication of any outright new powertrains for the S550 at this point. I was under the impression that it's been setup for improvements like direct injection, but why would they ditch such an accomplished motor so quickly? It's received a host of improvements already.

I don't see any serious hardware changes coming anytime in the next year or two, save for maybe a new auto trans.
It was definitely no secret in 2010 that new engines for both the V6 and V8 models were coming, which is why I never understood why people bought a 2010 lol

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Wasn't the 2010 S197's 4.6L just the carryover of the Bullitt's?
Yes, it was.

As others said, changes for 2016 will be minimal, probably mostly paint and wheel choices.

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
QNX powers the Chrysler and Cadillac systems. Both are universally panned by the critics, more so than even MFT. Why is everyone so sure that Sync 3 will be a great thing?

I see it as moving away from Microsoft because . . . that's just a good idea. I assume MFT software costs Ford a bundle and QNX will be a lot less expensive.

Follow the money.
It doesn't matter if QNX-powered systems suck in other car brands. QNX provides a reliable real-time operating system that the software developers must build upon. It depends on Ford's engineers to make sure it is good. If Chrysler and Cadillac systems suck, then their software engineers suck, not QNX. Hopefully Ford does a better job with the QNX platform.

The Microsoft OS (Windows CE), is a sucky platform in general for cars. It was a mistake to go with them. BMW tried Microsoft with an early 7 series over 10 years ago, and quickly scrapped them.

I have recent model BMW with a QNX-based system too (BMW ConnectedDrive). (see http://www.qnx.com/news/pr_4458_1.html) It works really well and I like it MUCH better than the current MFT, which I have tested on a rental recently.

Streetcar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coupes, cobras etc. had them all
When will info be released and when will the 16 cars hit the lot?

elstangman

Threads
Reaction score
What about a Mach 1, I would love to see them bring back that car again. Had a 2003 loved it.
Sponsored