2015 V6 vs Ecoboost

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T/Auto/50-yr/FRT
I have a 2011/6/auto and a 2015/2.3T/auto.... like them both, but the 2.3T is a bit more fun on the street with it's huge torque down low and especially with the premium "drive modes".
Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
V6 if you like to rev it to the redline. Ecoboost if you like to short shift.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I test drove all three,
GT pp auto Recaros
Eco Man non PP
V6 Man

Admittedly the V8 sounded and went the best, Can get scary fast in a hertbeat! though I found the Recaros not as comfortable as the stock seats. The PP suspension was a bit harsh and the brakes grabby, A bit hard modulate on the street without some practice but I'm sure they would be amazing on the track. I thought the Auto was superb though I prefer a Manual, I just couldn't really afford the GT and I think it would make a perfect second car just not a daily driver (My opinion I'm sure people on here will dd a pp gt all day without complaint.)

The V6 felt nice especially when reving it, it really comes alive over 3.5k Manual was nice and light and felt good.

The Eco has Immediate torque at like 2k, enough to overwhelm the 235 all seasons on the slightly damp roads that day, you need to drive it like a diesel and stay a gear higher than you would normally. Without the noise it didn't 'feel' as fast as the V6 until you look at the speedo. if you short shift into 3rd at slow speed and hammer it you get a bit of lag and then boom....I have to admit that sold me. In traffic when you go to overtake it really comes into it's own.
Both suspensions were a little bit on the soft side though. I felt like a bit more rolling in the V6, maybe because it had more miles? As a daily driver though they absorbed bumps extremely well and the car never felt unsettled. Perfect for putting lots of miles in the rear view mirror.

The manual felt notchier in the Eco than the V6 and the clutch was a bit heavier. I guess they are the same transmission, so again I chalked that up to the ECO having 50 miles on it and the V6 about 600.

I liked the feel of the stock seats more than the Recaros, The stock seats in the v6 and ECO felt great and didn't lack in support while cornering at extra legal speeds.

If you have the money and a second car and want a fast car get the GT, if you can comfortably afford the payments, insurance and gas and don't get the GT to save money, the regret will keep you from ever truly enjoying the ECO or V6.

So If you don't have the money for a GT.

If you need a daily driver, my advice is to save on the PP and Recaros, Great on a track car, not needed on a DD. I found the Brakes perfectly capable on the street and able to get abs to activate on command plus much easier to modulate than the massive stoppers on the GT PP.

There is more Drama in the V6 with noise and revs when you wring it, and it is a willing dance partner at an unbeatable price in this segment. As said above if you don't plan on modifying it this is the one to get, The stock 3.15 gears are way too tall for this engine IMHO so see if you can get the shorter rear end, it should suit the revvy nature of the V6 much better.

The Boost and performance in the eco won me over, I actually liked the noise though that seems to be peoples biggest complaint. You can basically stay in third around town unless you come to a complete halt, it has that much torque and the turbo spools quick. The torque is there from like 2.5k till 5.5k and you can just ride it.

Finally I set cruise on the highway at 75mph and let it sit for a while and was seeing 34 mpg! Once i put my foot down though I was seeing low teens but it felt great.

Since I plan on modding my car and the ECO takes to mods like a duck to water, sips fuel when I drive Mrs Daisy, (honestly that's like 80% of the time) and goes like hell when I want it, and I love the feel of a Turbo engine, the ECO was perfect for me, especially as it was barely over 1k more than the V6.

Honestly, you can not go wrong with either, BUT you will get more bang for the buck with the ECO

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
I was still writing when you posted this, it is actually a very good summary of what I said:cheers:

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
are you referring to the fact that the eco power band ends a little early?

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
LOL or the flip side of that coin. If you like to feel a lot of torque down low vs. feeling the need to wind a motor to redline to feel all of it's torque.:D

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
GT

But between the Eco and V6.....V6. It may cost more to get power from initially, but in the long run the V6 will have more power potential because you would be starting from a larger displacement motor. A twin turbo V6 would be an Eco-destroyer if properly built.

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
But between the Eco and V6.....V6. It may cost more to get power from initially, but in the long run the V6 will have more power potential because you would be starting from a larger displacement motor. A twin turbo V6 would be an Eco-destroyer if properly built.
With that logic go with the V8. :cool:

It's all about performance per dollar.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
It's difficult to really say that though. Disregarding tire costs (equal between both cars), the Ecoboost costs $3000 to hit low-mid 11s (MAPerformance P1.5 package + race fuel). The V6 will be $5-6000 at least for a super, if/when those ever make it to market. I haven't even seen discussion regarding a turbo kit from a supplier. Larger displacement will help once it does have forced induction though, but only once you want to run sub 10s. Everything above that and it really doesn't matter, the costs will be more in favor of the Ecoboost.

The naturally aspirated V6 doesn't have the basic mod potential of a turbo engine, and doesn't have the natural power or the rev potential of the 5.0L. If you buy a V6 for performance, you're choosing the most difficult path to hit your target. The only real justification I could see for it would be the sound.

Sponsored

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T/Auto/50-yr/FRT
For many years, the 6 has not been respected by the 8 crowd. Modding a six for power was not a very cost-effective or common occurrence. Now with the turbo-4 (not for the first time by Ford), a new highly mod-friendly performance engine has rejoined the lineup. Having a 6 and a 2.3T, I can definitely feel the difference in driving personality....... the 2.3T has great torque down low for spirited driving on public roads without having to downshift to get the revs up all the time (6 needs more revs than the 2.3T to perform as well). If you want high-revving performance, you need to go with the 8 or mildly modding the 2.3T (like tune/exhaust).

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Honestly you will spend more bucks for the BANG , Seriously I am up to $ 42000.00 already and I am still waiting on Progressive Springs from Steeda .

I should have gotten that Magnetic with Saddle GT I would be even about now !

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I have the v6 and there are some pros and cons.

Pros: very wallet friendly, mpg is good i get about 18 city, insurance is cheap, decent rumble, decent acceleration.

Cons: you willregret not getting a v8, people might insult you for not getting the gt and if you are as weakminded as me, you are already planning to trade up sometime in the next year.

Ive never driven the EB but it seems to be the future of the stang and will probably replace the v6. The turbo seems very nice but i like the feel and sound of the v6.
Overall i think if you truly want a muscle car feel, dont settle ffor less, try to get a deal for the base GT for 32k if u can find one. If not the id say take the v6, its like the baby muscle car lol.

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
...Cons: you willregret not getting a v8, people might insult you for not getting the gt and if you are as weakminded as me, you are already planning to trade up sometime in the next year.
:confused: Bummer you feel this way. Do you think you would feel this way if you never stepped foot onto this forum?

Personally, I am coming from smaller engines so the v6 is a step up. I wasn't willing to drop the extra dough for a few more horses, so the 8 was never on the table. I look at like shopping for a home. The houses that aren't in my budget I won't even look at. If I did, of course I would like them and be tempted by them. I have eyes that are bigger than my stomach! Hey, enjoy your 6 banger while you have it!

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
:confused: Bummer you feel this way. Do you think you would feel this way if you never stepped foot onto this forum?

Personally, I am coming from smaller engines so the v6 is a step up. I wasn't willing to drop the extra dough for a few more horses, so the 8 was never on the table. I look at like shopping for a home. The houses that aren't in my budget I won't even look at. If I did, of course I would like them and be tempted by them. I have eyes that are bigger than my stomach! Hey, enjoy your 6 banger while you have it!
I think the peer pressure on the forum gets to a lot of people on here. It probably goes something like this. Has a relatively non-performance oriented car, buys new Mustang V6, loves it, decides to learn more about it by joining forum, sees posts saying he HAS to have a V8, believes it, regrets purchase, doesn't like car, trades car for GT, rinse and repeat. Not saying this regarding OP, just in general. Personally, if the car was worth buying then it is worth keeping.
Sponsored