Sponsored

2015 Mustang Weight Gain

HTownStang

Since we are entertaining this idea, I'll bite. It's not impossible wherever this bit of info came from, that someone saw "50th anniversary Mustang" or "2014.5" with some specs including curb weight and did the math themselves assuming it was a stock S550 Mustang (in whatever trim).

And it wouldn't be hard to pack on 1-200lbs with a special collector's edition, depending on how "special" it really is. Who knows if this is going to be a base, GT or something more. Give it a wide-body kit, 22" wheels, supercharger, upgraded suspension and brakes, and you have more than enough added weight. Much like the '13 Super Snake weighs in at 4K pounds, about 150lbs above the standard GT500. It doesn't have to cost the same or be anywhere close to the power of one, but point is adding weight would be easy with some upgrades.
A S/C 2014.5 would make sense to me if these are very limited number collector's items. Since it seems most people believe a big blower won't fit the hood clearance of the S550 and that the next gen performance variants will be using smaller naturally aspirated engines it would be a nice way to send off the S197.
Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Says you? Or someone at Ford?

I'm sure I can speak for most when I say people are getting tired of this back and forth. If you guys dropping numbers are unable or unwilling to share more than that then there is no reason to believe any of it.
Trust him.

JGillis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus SHO
Since we are entertaining this idea, I'll bite. It's not impossible wherever this bit of info came from, that someone saw "50th anniversary Mustang" or "2014.5" with some specs including curb weight and did the math themselves assuming it was a stock S550 Mustang (in whatever trim).

And it wouldn't be hard to pack on 1-200lbs with a special collector's edition, depending on how "special" it really is. Who knows if this is going to be a base, GT or something more. Give it a wide-body kit, 22" wheels, supercharger, upgraded suspension and brakes, and you have more than enough added weight. Much like the '13 Super Snake weighs in at 4K pounds, about 150lbs above the standard GT500. It doesn't have to cost the same or be anywhere close to the power of one, but point is adding weight would be easy with some upgrades.
I think this will be similar to the Iacocca 45th Anniversary which is also known as the 2009 1/2 Mustang. I believe it also put on about 100 lbs over the 2009 4.6L V8 .

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think this will be similar to the Iacocca 45th Anniversary which is also known as the 2009 1/2 Mustang. I believe it also put on about 100 lbs over the 2009 4.6L V8 .
Whilst I'd love to see an "Iacocca" inspired '14.5, I really can't see us getting anything with bespoke bodywork. The Iacocca 45th wasn't an official Ford offering (as I'm sure you know)..........but it would be cool.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Not usually my first instinct with random dudes on the internet.

I hope he's right but info dropping hit-and-runs is a little played out online, don't ya think?
I've known him for a while. He's a credible source, that's all I'll say.

DrRadar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT
Once the facts start coming out, it'll all make sense. I'll leave it at that.
Overboost has been speaking as if he knows that it will be heavier (privy to inside information), but when we see the new car, it will make sense and it will be good.

So, It seems there are only a couple of possibilities:
1) it will be heavier, but those pounds buy something worth much more than the weight. clearly we must be getting a twin turbo V8 with HP north of 500 on the standard GT. Or maybe we get a through-the-road hybrid with the same coyote plus about 50HP of electric on the front wheels (I would really love that). Or something else on that level to make us happy to eat the extra pounds.
2) When crazy rumors about the mustang losing 400 lbs started to circulate, Ford started a disinformation campaign saying it will actually gain weight, so everyone will be happy rather than disappointed when it comes in 150lbs lighter. Overboost is part of said campaign...

If it is really gaining weight and we don't have something truly awesome to justify it, I think Ford is going to have a problem. I am ready to upgrade my '08 GT. I'm expecting to buy a '15 GT when they come out, but it won't take too much disappointment at the big reveal to make me spend the extra $$ on a Stingray.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
1) TT V8..... GT? :lol: That's quite the wet dream you have there. Maybe one day in a SVT product, if it ever happens.

2) Ford hasn't said anything about anything. That's the one thing that hasn't changed. Having forum members spread false rumors seems to be working just fine without their help.

Sponsored

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Overboost has been speaking as if he knows that it will be heavier (privy to inside information), but when we see the new car, it will make sense and it will be good.

So, It seems there are only a couple of possibilities:
1) it will be heavier, but those pounds buy something worth much more than the weight. clearly we must be getting a twin turbo V8 with HP north of 500 on the standard GT. Or maybe we get a through-the-road hybrid with the same coyote plus about 50HP of electric on the front wheels (I would really love that). Or something else on that level to make us happy to eat the extra pounds.
2) When crazy rumors about the mustang losing 400 lbs started to circulate, Ford started a disinformation campaign saying it will actually gain weight, so everyone will be happy rather than disappointed when it comes in 150lbs lighter. Overboost is part of said campaign...

If it is really gaining weight and we don't have something truly awesome to justify it, I think Ford is going to have a problem. I am ready to upgrade my '08 GT. I'm expecting to buy a '15 GT when they come out, but it won't take too much disappointment at the big reveal to make me spend the extra $$ on a Stingray.
No to both counts.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
We're gonna play this game until the car is unveiled. No one is going to tip their sources because it's not worth anyone losing their jobs.

PremiumT

It's all good to me, part of the fun is discussing the speculation. Whoever is right or wrong, I thnk we're all here for friendly debate and to learn more about the S550.

Speaking for myself, I'm glad this whole issue came up. If weight does get put on, at least it won't come as a total punch in the gut to us all (or will it?) since we have it on the table right now. I still have hopes Ford will deliver one way or another....
Sponsored