Sponsored

2015 Mustang Weight Gain

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Take it for what it's worth, but I heard from a source that despite the recent rumors, the 2015 Mustang may gain weight.

I do not know an exact figure (I have been told around 100 pounds) but they were pretty adamant.

Just telling everyone not to get hopes up too high. The rumor mill has a way of setting people up.
Sponsored

Prodigy

I never totally bought into the 400 pound lighter rumor but gain weight ? ?

That would really be suicide against the competition. I have a hard time believing this.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Ford has a pretty decent record for weight loss, I would be surprised if the Mustang was the only Ford vehicle to not lose some weight...

The 2013 Fusion increased it's wheelbase from 107 (Mustang) to 112 (Camaro), and the base cars weigh exactly the same. Height, track, width and length also all increased in 2013 but still, Ford's weight saving techniques are unmatched (and stolen). If Ford can increase the size of the Fusion and the size of nearly everything else (interior, suspension, wheel/tire, Ecoboost and more) and not gain a pound, it looks good to me.

The 2013 Fusion w/ automatic weighs 3425lbs... the 2012 Fusion w/ automatic weighed 3475lbs... a 50lb loss...

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Ford has a pretty decent record for weight loss, I would be surprised if the Mustang was the only Ford vehicle to not lose some weight...
This.

Before even considering a lighter 6th gen Camaro in the pipeline, and a lighter Challenger replacement -- Ford has already communicated its goals of shedding significant weight off of its ENTIRE line-up to meet fuel economy requirements.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
Take it for what it's worth, but I heard from a source that despite the recent rumors, the 2015 Mustang may gain weight.

I do not know an exact figure (I have been told around 100 pounds) but they were pretty adamant.

Just telling everyone not to get hopes up too high. The rumor mill has a way of setting people up.
Where would the extra weight gain come from?

The car definitely doesnt' look bigger.... even if it is the same size, where would the 100 pounds increase be from.... IRS?

Base weight should even be further helped by the I4 so it can't be the engine. They won't go backwards in using heavier materials either.

Sponsored

Mriley

Man these rumors are all over the freakin map. How do you go from 400 pounds lighter to 100 pounds heavier?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Ford go on record that they had a weight loss goal of a few hundred pounds for the S550 or am I making this up.

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Maybe they will bring back pushrods engines, hub caps and full size spare. Appropriate Internet abbreviation insert here for laughter

Also I agree with the pill agreeing with himself

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Man these rumors are all over the freakin map. How do you go from 400 pounds lighter to 100 pounds heavier?

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt Ford go on record that they had a weight loss goal of a few hundred pounds for the S550 or am I making this up.
Ford never really went on record, there have been a few jabs during media Q&A about the 200lbs in 2011 sometime. However, Ford has stated that a 10% reduction will be seen before 2016 across the lineup. Now, 10% of the Mustang's 3620lbs is about 365lbs of weight reduction....

Again, think Mustang as a whole and NOT just our V8's... A 10% weight reduction in base models is doable or at least very close... The new F150 hit the 10% mark at a 700lbs reduction... I expect Ford to continue to reduce weight over the next 10 years.

I don't think we will be seeing too many changes in wheelbase and track n the Mustang from here on out... Unless it downsizes from the 107/63.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I gotta say that if the car gains weight that's a deal breaker for me. It doesn't seem like it would gain weight judging by the evidence of existing models from the brand, however.

Sponsored

pistolpete

i'm not buying it.

this is a whole new platform that isn't relying on a 10 year old chassis. they've had a lot of time to develop this.

also keep in mind they have to lose at least some weight because as always happens, the car will put on some pounds during the platform life cycle. new features, safety regulations, etc.
if they don't give themselves some leeway the car will be over 4k pounds by 2018 or 2024.

Diggitydog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GHIG GT Vert
Deal breaker if the Mustang gets heavier. Forget it, I just don't believe that it will get heavier.

OP
OP

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Yes all this is true, but modified from a 4-door platform that is fundamentally heavier. I won't say it is a sure thing since I do not have personal knowledge, just what I have heard. As a result I feel it is prudent to moderate expectations a tad. There is a lot of safety equipment, components and new features that will make it tough. See the C7 vette as an example.

Melino

The 13-14's are the heaviest Mustangs ever made. It's time to hit the reset button on the weight like they did after the 71-73's. These aren't muscle cars anymore, they should be shooting for more sports car size and weight.

If they can't find a way to at least keep it the same with CAFE and the next-gen camaro/challenger all set to lose a large amount of pounds then Ford engineers need to all be fired. That would be a disgrace.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
I'm not buying it either.

This was a pretty significant goal for Ford, even if it was never specifically stated that way. A couple of years ago, I had a good 20 minute one on one conversation with Steve Ling...Global Product Marketing Strategy Manager at Ford. At THAT time, he told me that IRS was still up in air ( about a 50 - 50 chance ) because of it's weight and Ford's goal to REDUCE the weight of the Gen6 Mustang. Apparently they have resolved the weight issue in one way or another, because we know we're going to see IRS in the Gen6. I am hearing from reliable sources that it's a reduction of 300+ lbs. Also hearing that the Shelby nameplate is done, though I'm not quite sure it that means forever, the near future or just 2015. I didn't get the chance to ask for clarification on that.
Sponsored