Hancock

The Camaro Protagonist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro 2SS A8
http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-is-stupid-quick-does-0-to-1730503112
The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS Is Stupid Quick, Does 0 To 60 In 4 Seconds

Changing your own gears adds a 0.3 second penalty for being a thinking, feeling, gear-changing human instead of some cold, calculating, gear-swapping robot.

Mustang GT PP is around 4.5 sec. Camaro (in manual transmission) 4.3. Camaro may still feel faster with more torque off the line but its only marginally faster at speed.
What about 60-120?

OP
OP

Mustang5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt
Fastest car I've been in was my car before I rode in a c7 z06 this weekend...that was light speed lol

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What about 60-120?
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/road_tests/2015-ford-mustang-gt
0-60 mph: 4.5 seconds
1/4 mile: 12.9 seconds @ 112 mph

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...conds-is-doable-for-the-automatic-102008.html

the 8L90 Hydra-Matic automatic proved that it's faster than the estimate, but the 6-speed manual isn’t too shabby either. Hot Rod managed to post a 12.40-second run with the 1SS 6-speed manual.

As a brief reminder, the Camaro 1SS costs $37,295, making it that more costly over a Mustang GT.

45lbPlate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'88 Mustang
Many thanks!

Overall I think mustang wins in looks and the SS wins in performance (pre boost). Hope you guys enjoy my mini review and I'll post up more when I drive the car a bit more.
Mustang5.0, thanks for posting your personal experience with both cars. You seem to echo what I've read recently in magazines articles that have compared the two cars.

Does anyone else find it disappointing that Ford seemed to drop the ball on this latest 5.0 in the handling and sound department? I understand that some manufacturer like Chevy is always going to come out a year later with a more powerful car by dropping a big motor inside, but handling has always been where the Mustang one-up'ed the camaro. Even the reviews that compared the s550 to the old 2014 camero 1LE said that the mustang handling was a let-down after driving the 1LE camaro....and that was when the Mustang was the lighterweight car with the newest suspension and independent rear suspension to boot!

And exhaust...who doesn't want a deep, powerful, sounding exhaust when they are buying a 400+ hp car? In my opinion, there is no reason that Ford should come in second on sound to the camaro.

I guess it just feels like this time around the Chevy guys seem to "get" what the modern muscle car market wants more than Ford right now. I find this extra disappointing because I feel like Ford has the best looking car hands-down! and yet, the last I heard, mustang sales were trailing the camaro and that just shouldn't be happening when you have a product as good looking as the s550 Mustang.

What do you guys think?

(also, most of the deficiencies in sound and handling could be easily remedied with the addition of a "performance package" that upgraded the suspension and exhaust.)

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Mustang5.0, thanks for posting your personal experience with both cars. You seem to echo what I've read recently in magazines articles that have compared the two cars.

Does anyone else find it disappointing that Ford seemed to drop the ball on this latest 5.0 in the handling and sound department? I understand that some manufacturer like Chevy is always going to come out a year later with a more powerful car by dropping a big motor inside, but handling has always been where the Mustang one-up'ed the camaro. Even the reviews that compared the s550 to the old 2014 camero 1LE said that the mustang handling was a let-down after driving the 1LE camaro....and that was when the Mustang was the lighterweight car with the newest suspension and independent rear suspension to boot!

And exhaust...who doesn't want a deep, powerful, sounding exhaust when they are buying a 400+ hp car? In my opinion, there is no reason that Ford should come in second on sound to the camaro.

I guess it just feels like this time around the Chevy guys seem to "get" what the modern muscle car market wants more than Ford right now. I find this extra disappointing because I feel like Ford has the best looking car hands-down! and yet, the last I heard, mustang sales were trailing the camaro and that just shouldn't be happening when you have a product as good looking as the s550 Mustang.

What do you guys think?

(also, most of the deficiencies in sound and handling could be easily remedied with the addition of a "performance package" that upgraded the suspension and exhaust.)
I wouldn't quite call it a disappointment on Ford's part because in the end they are going more for the market at large and not so much the hardcore motorweek crowd. Although I will say that Ford should introduce a more aggressively tuned performance pack GT to do battle with the camaro ss for the people that want that. So far Ford's gamble is paying off because thus far the s550 is selling pretty damn well http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=8780:)

Sponsored

Hancock

The Camaro Protagonist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro 2SS A8
I don't like how cramped the interior felt. and the visibility was horrendous. I have to agree that it's faster. I would be disappointed if the car wasn't. After all it has a bigger engine.
So higher displacement engines are better or worse than smaller displacement engines? What about higher revving overhead cams? Aren't those types of engines superior, making more hp/liter. Are you a ricer?

If the LT1 is making it's hp and torque curve and getting better fuel economy than similar hp but smaller displacement engines while taking up less physical space and weighing less, what exactly is the problem here?

Maybe just say the Camaro should win because it has a better power to weight ratio? Because crying that the other car is faster because its engine has more cubic inches is what crybabies do. :)

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
http://jalopnik.com/the-2016-chevrolet-camaro-ss-is-stupid-quick-does-0-to-1730503112
The 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS Is Stupid Quick, Does 0 To 60 In 4 Seconds

Changing your own gears adds a 0.3 second penalty for being a thinking, feeling, gear-changing human instead of some cold, calculating, gear-swapping robot.

Mustang GT PP is around 4.5 sec. Camaro (in manual transmission) 4.3. Camaro may still feel faster with more torque off the line but its only marginally faster at speed.
Stupid quick :lol::lol: the mustang, ss, scat pack, hellcat, gt500, viper, z06 etc are all laughably slow.

Last edited:

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline

What do you guys think?

Well your sources suck and you have now lost all credibility.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't quite call it a disappointment on Ford's part because in the end they are going more for the market at large and not so much the hardcore motorweek crowd. Although I will say that Ford should introduce a more aggressively tuned performance pack GT to do battle with the camaro ss for the people that want that. So far Ford's gamble is paying off because thus far the s550 is selling pretty damn well http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=8780:)
Ford understands that a huge base of its customers do not care about the few tenths difference to the Camaro. What Ford has been extremely successful in doing with the S550 is bringing in new customers who have never or would never have bought a Mustang previously (I'm one of them). This was a goal from the outset, and they knew it would need to be a relatively significant departure from the previous generation to do so. The styling, level of refinement and price point make it easy.

You can get a great looking, V8, RWD sports coupe for just over $32,000. Meanwhile, it's closest rival is over $37,000. The objective performance difference between the two is not something you can (or should try to) exploit on the street - the place where 99% of the miles driven by these cars is. Ford and GM are in this to make money. As much as many of their leaders love cars, it's all about that. The higher ATP for the Camaro is not enough to offset the ~40% sales volume gap in terms of profit. The Camaro/ATS plant sounds like it's a bit underutilized (read: high cost), whereas Flat Rock also produces the Fusion and MKZ, and soon to be the Continental.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.