Sponsored

'16 Camaro Reviews are starting to hit the sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Well, this is a whole lot of fun.............keep it up and there will be deleted posts and warnings.

Keep it civil.
You might as well stay parked in here....Same you some time from going between thread before cleaning up the mess:D:ford:
Sponsored

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
No not at all. It's just boring. And all you have to hang your hat on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well then wouldn't you only be able to hang your hat on road courses? That's kind of a two way street.

Apparently someone is offended...

Memphis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Well then wouldn't you only be able to hang your hat on road courses? That's kind of a two way street.

I was messing with you. Point is the cars you are comparing were made for the road course. That was their purpose.

If you want to compare a straight line car that underwhelmed then look at he zl1.

The z28 did its job against the competition. It destroyed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Since the Moderator is watching me and I feel the cold forged metal of a ban hammer against my neck... I'll re post this in a more polite way and leave it at that.

The ZL1 was built to be an all around car. It beat it's respective GT500 in the 2012 year model in both the quarter mile and on the track.

Ford puts out a 662 HP GT500 as a response. Good for them. That car is why I like competition. It won in the quarter mile again. However, it was still beatable at the curvy track. I would have bought one if I could have afforded it. I already had a 2012 ZL1 though. I raced one and it laughed as it left me behind. BOTH were/are an amazing car.

The point of all of this, like it or not, is that competition is good. Our arguments and passion for these cars is the reason we have either car in the first place. You can like your Mustang. That's great. I almost bought the 4-banger one for a DD because of how much I liked it when I test drove one. I like them too. That's why I'm here. However, I like Camaro's more for the most part... Unless you want to talk about the refreshed 4th gen... No thanks.

Like it or not, the stock Camaro SS edges out the stock GT performance-wise this year. Last gen? The Mustang GT was king of the quarter mile stock for stock, GT vs. SS every year pretty much... Next year? Who knows. Ford may have something waiting to pounce with the GT. Good. I like competition. We all win with it.

Sponsored

modernbeat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Racecar
'16 car of the year? You've got to be kidding right. Since when does performance alone win something this broad? I used to think maybe MotorTrend wasn't biased, but this just seals the deal for me. This is absurd and only happened because of the Shelby winning PCOTY :frusty:
Don't worry. MT hasn't spoken for me as a consumer for a long time. But when I look at their COTY choices, they obviously don't look at performance. I think it's more about advancements in technology, sales, style, and of course, advertiser dollars!

The list of previous COTY winners from Wikipedia. The PT Cruiser is in there!

2016 Chevrolet Camaro
2015 Volkswagen Golf line-up[15]
2014 Cadillac CTS
2013 Tesla Model S
2012 Volkswagen Passat
2011 Chevrolet Volt[16]
2010 Ford Fusion[17]
2009 Nissan GT-R
2008 Cadillac CTS
2007 Toyota Camry
2006 Honda Civic
2005 Chrysler 300
2004 Toyota Prius
2003 Infiniti G35
2002 Ford Thunderbird
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2000 Lincoln LS
1999 Chrysler 300M
1998 Chevrolet Corvette
1997 Chevrolet Malibu
1996 Dodge Caravan
1995 Chrysler Cirrus
1994 Ford Mustang
1993 Ford Probe GT
1992 Cadillac Seville Touring Sedan
1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic LTZ
1990 Lincoln Town Car
1989 Ford Thunderbird SC
1988 Pontiac Grand Prix
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
1986 Ford Taurus LX
1985 Volkswagen GTI (eligible due to it being built in VW's now-defunct Pennsylvania plant)
1984 Chevrolet Corvette
1983 AMC / Renault Alliance
1982 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1981 Chrysler K Cars, Dodge Aries and Plymouth Reliant
1980 Chevrolet Citation
1979 Buick Riviera S
1978 Chrysler, Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon
1977 Chevrolet Caprice
1976 Chrysler, Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare
1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2
1974 Ford Mustang II
1973 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1972 Citroën SM (an imported vehicle that was selected overall "Car of the Year")
1971 Chevrolet Vega
1970 Ford Torino
1969 Plymouth Road Runner
1968 Pontiac GTO
1967 Mercury Cougar
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado
1965 Pontiac Motor Division
1964 Ford Motor Company (not for the Mustang)
1963 American Motors (AMC) Rambler (all models: American, Classic, and Ambassador)
1962 Buick Special
1961 Pontiac Tempest
1960 Chevrolet Corvair
1959 Pontiac Motor Division
1958 Ford Thunderbird

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Congrats to GM for making a great car that raises the bar of the Pony car segment. Will be interesting to see how Ford responds. Hopefully by putting some of the GT350 suspension setup components in the standard car. Great to see the U.S. MFRs making such great cars and ones that still cater to the person who appreciates a bit of driving fun.

-T

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Congrats to GM for making a great car that raises the bar of the Pony car segment. Will be interesting to see how Ford responds. Hopefully by putting some of the GT350 suspension setup components in the standard car. Great to see the U.S. MFRs making such great cars and ones that still cater to the person who appreciates a bit of driving fun.

-T
Here, here:cheers:

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
Don't worry. MT hasn't spoken for me as a consumer for a long time. But when I look at their COTY choices, they obviously don't look at performance. I think it's more about advancements in technology, sales, style, and of course, advertiser dollars!

The list of previous COTY winners from Wikipedia. The PT Cruiser is in there!
CTS-V,Camaro,GTR,Tesla Model S,Corvette,Mustang,GTI... Nope. No performance at all there. :p

But I do agree... PT Cruiser is a questionable one.

Sponsored

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS

-T
Well said!

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
The ZL1 was built to be an all around car. It beat it's respective GT500 in the 2012 year model in both the quarter mile and on the track.

Ford puts out a 662 HP GT500 as a response. Good for them. That car is why I like competition. It won in the quarter mile again. However, it was still beatable at the curvy track.
The '12 ZL1 and the '13 GT500 were announced at the same time (the Camaro faithful cried bitterly about the timing of the GT500 announcement) and sold in the same model year, so comparing the '12 ZL1 to the '12 GT500 is not correct. It isn't Ford's fault that Chevy was aiming at the previous model and missed the mark completely.

As for being beatable on the track, this comparison always made me smile.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Nortons_Pics/media/GT500vsZL1_zps1c7d76be.jpg.html

tldr; The ZL1 wasn't a bad car if you're a Camaro guy, but all it really had going for it IMHO was the MRC.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST

-T
That would be nice to see, but MagneRide is one of the 2 major selling points of the GT350. As much as I would like to see it, I don't see it on the GT any time soon.

Notice that Chevy didn't offer it on the SS until the ZL1 was gone.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
That would be nice to see, but MagneRide is one of the 2 major selling points of the GT350. As much as I would like to see it, I don't see it on the GT any time soon.

Notice that Chevy didn't offer it on the SS until the ZL1 was gone.
The 6th gen ZL1 is going to have it as well, I am sure.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
The '12 ZL1 and the '13 GT500 were announced at the same time (the Camaro faithful cried bitterly about the timing of the GT500 announcement) and sold in the same model year, so comparing the '12 ZL1 to the '12 GT500 is not correct. It isn't Ford's fault that Chevy was aiming at the previous model and missed the mark completely.

As for being beatable on the track, this comparison always made me smile.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/Nortons_Pics/media/GT500vsZL1_zps1c7d76be.jpg.html

tldr; The ZL1 wasn't a bad car if you're a Camaro guy, but all it really had going for it IMHO was the MRC.
Neither were a bad car. I clearly stated that the following year model GT500 was the winner in a straight line (which your picture link verifies). It didn't miss the mark that it was aiming for which was to beat the current 2012 GT500. It did that just fine. Ford just happened to be ready for a deafening immediate response once Chevy announced the ZL1. Good on them. Once again, I would have bought both if I could have afforded it. Competition is why either exist. That was my point. I'm done arguing about it for now.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.