Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
Just my 2 cent (you can give me change back after my comment) But do you thing they are going to have a Mustang GT500 out horse powered a several hundred thousand dollar 2017 Ford GT? I doubt is. I think Ford let the cat out of the bag with the 2017 Ford GT and the direction Ford is going with the eco ttV6. One last thing, we all know that Corvette is GM's real performance car, they will never let the Camaro real out shine a Vette, and Ford will not let a GT500 out gun the new GT40 (or what ever they are calling it now) Now for my change:rant:
a 800 hp mustang will not out gun a 600hp ford GT

so only for internet warriors is it a concern

i do not see any connection between the two cars with regard to HP ratings

My prediction is Ford GT at 650 hp and GT500 at about 675hp to 700hp. I think they will leave it less than the hellcat. Gt500 will beat the hellcat in all tests with less HP due to superior weight, traction, tire and suspension

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

My prediction is Ford GT at 650 hp and GT500 at about 675hp to 700hp. I think they will leave it less than the hellcat. Gt500 will beat the hellcat in all tests with less HP due to superior weight, traction, tire and suspension
I agree with you that the Mustang can have more power than the Ford GT without "out shining" it or causing any sales problems for the Ford GT. The two cars are so different.

I hope the Mustang gets at least 100 more HP than the Hellcat. Factory tires don't really matter, as they are relatively inexpensive to replace. What does matter is a big HP number. That is really key for the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger market IMO.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT

My 3 cents...LOL..a little dreamy but I just ran 6 miles so I'm amped up a little...
I would like a GT350 for the track, which I am selling my current car for that purpose, and I would like to buy another special in 3 or 4 years with the GT EB6 motor, maybe a MACH-1 or Bullitt, or a TTV8 GT500 at 800HP+

I can see a 2019 MACH-1 coming around late 2018....50 years anny.
We also need a 50 year 2018 Bullitt for late 2017...that would be perfect - a great road handling stang with the EB6 from the GT set at 620 HP, and maybe 400-600lbs lighter than a Hell Cat using the GT350-R Weight reduction work (which I think will become standard as the MPG requirements go up, and maybe Aluminum doors, roof, and trunk...wishing a little! )

That's it, it's settled, a 2018 Bullitt, 620HP EB6, 3500 lbs with all options, Quick shift Auto/paddle shift, Magneto shocks for comfort, sport, race modes, more of a driver than a racer, but fully capable, AND stripped down. Manual locks, windows, racing seats, maybe a 1 speaker radio. Thin rubber mat for the floor board, ash tray so it can smell like a 60's car, and comfy racing seats with vinyl covers over padding and saddle blanket inserts for the full retro deal, but done classy to look and feel good. Wide rear tires for traction and lighter narrow front tires for just enough handling but keeping weight to the minimum, maybe even ultralight rear brakes.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I agree with you that the Mustang can have more power than the Ford GT without "out shining" it or causing any sales problems for the Ford GT. The two cars are so different.

I hope the Mustang gets at least 100 more HP than the Hellcat. Factory tires don't really matter, as they are relatively inexpensive to replace. What does matter is a big HP number. That is really key for the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger market IMO.
I agree on the power and your right about the GT Sales.

The people buying the GT probably aren't buying a Mustang, unless it's model #1 of a Shelby or something very unique. It's two different conversations.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I say the 2017 GT500 will start around $59,995. They will likely shoot for a Twin Turbo V8 and I imagine 800hp would stop the show.

The 2018 GT500KR package will be an upgrade similar to the GT350's R. I think King of the Road is fitting for an 800hp, MRC, CC this and that...

Sure, it's a $71,995 dollar GT500 but, it is the King of the Road...

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I say the 2017 GT500 will start around $59,995. They will likely shoot for a Twin Turbo V8 and I imagine 800hp would stop the show.

The 2018 GT500KR package will be an upgrade similar to the GT350's R. I think King of the Road is fitting for an 800hp, MRC, CC this and that...

Sure, it's a $71,995 dollar GT500 but, it is the King of the Road...
I hope so, I really hope so!

Oh, and you can throw the 10-speed auto into the package :)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

supersnake94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
Here is my two cents on a possible 2018 GT500

Ecoboost V8 (stringent emission and CAFE standards would negate a supercharger and look more towards turbos)
Displacement: 5.0 or a reworked 4.6 4V DOHC with TI-VCT and Direct Injection
Horsepower: 675-700+
Transmissions: 6-7 speed manual with rev matching or 10 speed automatic dual clutch with rev matching
325 MM rear tires
Magnaride Suspension
Top Speed: 205+ MPH
MSRP: $60,000

spectremotorsports

Consultant
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
"Emma" 17 GT/PP Grabber Blue/Black roof
I think the GT500 will be an EcoBoost, not only to keep in step with their current marketing thrust, but because it will be easier to get more power out of a smaller displacement V8 with turbos than with a supercharger. The only question here is packaging, and what it will take to shoe-horn the turbo(s) into the engine bay.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they introduce it as a '17 MY, since that coincides with the 50th anniversary of the GT500.
My guess would be something like the mclaren motor or the new 4.0 AMG motor. Small displacement, Huge Power.

Sponsored

TOPdeadCENTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 SVTPP
First time post here. I've been wondering if FordPerformance has a trick up its sleeve that none of us are considering. All Wheel Drive GT500. We all know that the super high horsepower cars are traction limited. Even my measly 550hp GT500 struggles in the real world to gain traction with tires that look as close to slicks as possible. Why not go AWD? Maybe thats why they widened the front track on the GT350 to make extra room up front for it.
Google Ken Block Hoonicorn RTR. Ford may already be working on the development with this beast. Notice how wide the front track is? AWD would be a 0-60 game changer. Fords affordable version of Nissan's GTR (which beats other cars with much more horsepower). Think what the GTR would do with 700+!

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
They touted the Hellcat as doing 10.8 three times yet the Hellcat hasn't even gotten close to that. They are all stuck in the mid 11's and magazines don't quote GT500 times on drag radials.
Hellcats have been hitting 10's on DR's for a while now. The fastest yet for a stock engine Hellcat was 10.73 (I think) with DR's and an upgraded driveshaft since Hellcats on sticky tires have been twisting the stock 2 piece units in half.

The Hellcat was always quoted as doing 10.8 on DR's and 11.2's on street tires.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
First time post here. I've been wondering if FordPerformance has a trick up its sleeve that none of us are considering. All Wheel Drive GT500. We all know that the super high horsepower cars are traction limited. Even my measly 550hp GT500 struggles in the real world to gain traction with tires that look as close to slicks as possible. Why not go AWD? Maybe thats why they widened the front track on the GT350 to make extra room up front for it.
Google Ken Block Hoonicorn RTR. Ford may already be working on the development with this beast. Notice how wide the front track is? AWD would be a 0-60 game changer. Fords affordable version of Nissan's GTR (which beats other cars with much more horsepower). Think what the GTR would do with 700+!
Uber exotic modern hybrid with 200HP Electric front drive wheels w/ 800HP TTV8 pushing from the back. 1000HP combined.

On second thought maybe a Luxury Lincoln based on the S550 but stretched with bigger doors would do well with something crazy like that.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Hellcats have been hitting 10's on DR's for a while now. The fastest yet for a stock engine Hellcat was 10.73 (I think) with DR's and an upgraded driveshaft since Hellcats on sticky tires have been twisting the stock 2 piece units in half.

The Hellcat was always quoted as doing 10.8 on DR's and 11.2's on street tires.

All this is bullshit(not you 1320). If you are going to quote modified times as stock then you should be doing that for every car. The GT500 would be a helluva lot quicker than the 11.5 it gets quoted as. Ranger has run 10.8's in stock C6Z06's down to the original run flats.

TOPdeadCENTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 SVTPP
Uber exotic modern hybrid with 200HP Electric front drive wheels w/ 800HP TTV8 pushing from the back. 1000HP combined.

On second thought maybe a Luxury Lincoln based on the S550 but stretched with bigger doors would do well with something crazy like that.
Wouldn't need to be Uber exotic. My understanding ford already has some sophisticated AWD systems with more in development.
Sponsored