Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
The original 1965-66 Shelby Mustangs were GT350's. The whole purpose of their production initially was for homologation into a road racing series where they successfully competed against Corvettes, Jaguar E-type, and other makes of sports cars. They were equipped with 289 ci small blocks. These cars were designed for road course racing, and they did this very well. There is a ton of interesting reading on this subject available in print and on the net.

The GT500 was later developed and released in 1967. In contrast to the GT350, it was not developed for any specific racing class. It came with a 428 ci engine (some debate whether the FE engines were big blocks or 'medium' blocks, but that's another discussion) and came with enhanced creature comforts, like leather and an otherwise upgraded interior. GT350's starting later followed the trend of the GT500 with more attention to comfort and became less of a "street-legal race car."

So in essence, the original GT350 was a stripped out race car designed for road course racing, and the GT500 was a powerful, comfortable street cruiser.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
100% sure they will use the 3.5 V6 TT from the Ford GT. Ford will cut all V8s from their cars by 2020. It's the way of the future, don't cry about it.
Oh, but I will cry about it! Whilst I have no doubt the 3.5 V6 TT in the new GT will be an amazing engine (and it's NOT the same as the 3.5 V6 TT in the rest of the line up, it's a race car engine - just in case some aren't aware)......I want.......no, I DEMAND that GT500 uses a blown V8.

The end doesn't have to be nigh for the V8. As has been said, downsize it, if needs be (4.0-4.7 litres)......but it's needs that badass V8 soundtrack.

Don't underestimate people-power. Remember when the Probe was going to be the new Mustang? Enough people said "NO WAY" that Ford listened.

Let's hope they are listening (and reading) now.

:)

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Oh, but I will cry about it! Whilst I have no doubt the 3.5 V6 TT in the new GT will be an amazing engine (and it's NOT the same as the 3.5 V6 TT in the rest of the line up, it's a race car engine - just in case some aren't aware)......I want.......no, I DEMAND that GT500 uses a blown V8.

The end doesn't have to be nigh for the V8. As has been said, downsize it, if needs be (4.0-4.7 litres)......but it's needs that badass V8 soundtrack.

Don't underestimate people-power. Remember when the Probe was going to be the new Mustang? Enough people said "NO WAY" that Ford listened.

Let's hope they are listening (and reading) now.

:)
Not only the soundtrack. But the greater upgrade potential as well.

I do believe the car that spun out on the Nurburgring was a 6 cylinder. The exhaust note sounded lame and some things just seemed off about it.

Hopefully they realized that just wasn't a good idea.

Sure the v6 in the GT is great...for that car.

But just because the engine in the previous GT went into the gt500 was the same doesn't mean it has to follow here.

Ford has stated their specific reason for this engine choice in the new GT n

Now if they were LYING about it, that's not going to bode well for people trusting Ford in the mark fields era. It may help sell a few cars at first. But then people will become wary.

The gt500 is supposed to be the power plant upgrade over the boss/350. A v6 would be a downgrade over the 5.2.

Sure turbos can put the power over the 5.2, but that's only because the latter is NA.

TURBO THE 5.2 and it's not only far more powerful, sounds better, etc., but it has greater potential for the enthusiast post purchase/post warranty.

I'm all for a ttv6 in the Mustsng-in an altogether different model to compete with different competitors.

But that car should be placed under the 350 and 500.

The big boys need the v8 and forward thinking about chassis/suspension, transmission, weight, possible AWD options, etc.

The MUSTANG is an enthusiast car.
No better way to kill enthusiasm than to neuter the thing. Turbo or no turbo, a 600 or 700 hp v6 isn't as powerful or as enthusiasm inspiring as a v8 with the same -or more realistically - much more power.

And speaking of the soundtrack... All this attention given to the gt350 exhaust making sure the flat crank still sounds like an "American" v8 only to dump the dying dog sounding 6 in the top model?

Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
100% sure they will use the 3.5 V6 TT from the Ford GT. Ford will cut all V8s from their cars by 2020. It's the way of the future, don't cry about it.

You should write articles for HorsePowerKings. :lol:

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
:eyebulge:

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I think if the FPC has shown us anything, it's as long as the fleet MPG is meeting targets, there is still room to play.

I would only be truly worried about a V8 leaving when the internal combustion engine is just no longer viable.

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
I think if the FPC has shown us anything, it's as long as the fleet MPG is meeting targets, there is still room to play.

I would only be truly worried about a V8 leaving when the internal combustion engine is just no longer viable.
I would tend to agree with these statement's. :ford:

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
Turbo is the way to go and Ford has committed to it.

However no need to castrate the gt500 with a 6 banger to get turbos.

They can just as easily develop an ecoboost v8, voodoo or coyote.

A turbo v6 svo would be cool just to show the world what ford can do with 6 cylinders.

But the gt500 is the top dog. It gets the FI v8.

No need to cut cylinders. Why? This car is about power. Yes a 4 or 6 cylinder will make big power with turbos. But the v8 will make much MORE.

The new platform has all kinds of structural integrity and it has potential for serious weight loss as well. Whatever t'eright advantage the 6 banger has will not have a huge impact and the power differential in terms of peak power and under the curve will be noticeable.

It's cool that the new GT has a turbo v6 in order to fit a particular race class and the car looks like it was sculpted around the engine.

But the Mustsng akready has a hot rod new v8 in the gt350. No need to go backwards.

Can a turbo v6 out power the voodoo. Sure. Look at the GT. But that would just be leaving power on the table when they can turbocharge the v8 and blow the v6 away.
Just my 2 cent (you can give me change back after my comment) But do you thing they are going to have a Mustang GT500 out horse powered a several hundred thousand dollar 2017 Ford GT? I doubt is. I think Ford let the cat out of the bag with the 2017 Ford GT and the direction Ford is going with the eco ttV6. One last thing, we all know that Corvette is GM's real performance car, they will never let the Camaro real out shine a Vette, and Ford will not let a GT500 out gun the new GT40 (or what ever they are calling it now) Now for my change:rant:

IGJoe2192

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automobile
GT500 may have more power than the GT but it wont have a better power to weight ratio. More HP doesn't always mean more performance.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Just my 2 cent (you can give me change back after my comment) But do you thing they are going to have a Mustang GT500 out horse powered a several hundred thousand dollar 2017 Ford GT? I doubt is. I think Ford let the cat out of the bag with the 2017 Ford GT and the direction Ford is going with the eco ttV6. One last thing, we all know that Corvette is GM's real performance car, they will never let the Camaro real out shine a Vette, and Ford will not let a GT500 out gun the new GT40 (or what ever they are calling it now) Now for my change:rant:

The absolute truth of the matter is...

It depends on timing.

If the gt500 isn't out for a couple of years then yes. I see it having more power than the GT.

It's happened before with the gt500kr.

The new GT may be a limited run like the first one.

If it's not, then there are future iterations and power trains to consider.

Already the GT is "outhorsepowered"by a dodge sedan. And that's just wrong. So...

But if we are just talking the Ford stable, there is historic precedent that a gt500 released later does indeed have more power.

Even if they are available at the same time, you are talking different classes. The mustang is much larger and heavier than the GT. The GT is light, tiny, unique, and is an obvious purpose built exotic. Peak power may not be the main thing. But raw speed.

But I believe the 500 will be out right after the first run of new GTs is sold through.

And it should have more cylinders and more power.

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
I hope you are right.. I was a mopar guy, but that has changed with the GT350...who wants a boat, and least Ford with the heavy GT500 still attempted to make it go around corners.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I hope you are right.. I was a mopar guy, but that has changed with the GT350...who wants a boat, and least Ford with the heavy GT500 still attempted to make it go around corners.
I hope so too.

If not, I may just go sit in a corner and cry... Kinda like I did when Ben affleck was chosen to be the next batman... But I got over it and I'm sure I'd get over an emasculated gt500 too. It would just take longer. Lol

I used to drive s 1971 barracuda. Lots of fun. I was excited when the new challenger first came out as it looks very similar. But... Then I saw how heavy. And then the Camaro came out and the mustang quit playing around with wimpy engines.

Hopefully dodge gets smart real quick and comes out with a new ponycar that actually puts a scare into the other two. Love to see that.

But it sure looks like ford is hungry for dead serious performsnce now. With engines, suspension, exotic materials, etc. they aren't messing around. Good times.

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
Thought you guy's might like A Pic. or two, of these 67 GT500's for inspiration.

Last edited:

DJGold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 2015 V6 Manual (3.55 diff)