Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I dont believe Ford sees a reason to have the most HP on the block, specifically since it will not make the Mustang anymore capable on the street or track.
I know it isn't an 100% indicator, but what did Ford do with the last GT500? Did they go down in power, or did they produce a car with more power than the competitors?
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The F150 has had a 6-cylinder from the beginning. No idea how you think that is relevant.

When Ford tried to make the Mustang FWD, it became the probe. The RWD Mustang lived on. You don't need to convince me the advantages of AWD, it is Ford that decided the Mustang is a front engine RWD coupe/vert.

Not really what we are talking about.

The probe was to be a Mustang REPLACEMENT. with fwd offering no tangible advantage.

The entire car would have been radically changed, from exterior hallmarks to engine choices. That didn't make sense and never will.

Awd makes immediate sense. And it adds obvious benefit to the Mustang. Just as IRS did.

The probe would have been the death of mustang. Awd just makes it BETTER.

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Charger Scat Pack
I agree, it won't really make it perform much better, but it's big for marketing…remember, it's all about the money, and look how much limelight and press the Hellcat is getting, gotta think Ford wants a piece of that.

Would Ford really be content with Fiat taking that crown? I don't think so. I agree in that is will go down in displacement! But I think they'll def seek to take the HP title from Hellcat. It's too easy not to.

I dont believe Ford sees a reason to have the most HP on the block, specifically since it will not make the Mustang anymore capable on the street or track.
4.0 TT from Audi down from v10
4.4 TT from BMW down from the v10
3.0 TT M3 down from 4.0
5.5 TT from MB down from the 6.2 and 6.0/6.5 TT
3.9 TT from Ferrari down from 4.5

Are some examples along with the Ford examples in my last post. Lighter and smaller motors with forced induction in order to gain performance rather than mass horsepower. Yes they could go more than 700, but do to that the mass and lack of balance in the chasis the performance would not increase. I think Ford found that point with the 13/14 GT500 and the HC just prove the point further.

In order to go farther with overall performance one needs to lose weight and improve balance without losing power. Which is what the manufacturer are creating going forward.
If Ford can create a low to mid 4L TT platform the same weight as the N/A 5L they would have something special!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
What are the chances of a TT V-8 based off of the new 2.7/3.5 platform? DOHC 60 degree 5 liter V-8 with FI sounds very promising. Being able to share components with the 2nd gen 3.5 should keep cost down. The far more narrow 60 degree V layout should help with packaging those Turbos. Opinions?

TOPdeadCENTER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 GT500 SVTPP
What are the chances of a TT V-8 based off of the new 2.7/3.5 platform? DOHC 60 degree 5 liter V-8 with FI sounds very promising. Being able to share components with the 2nd gen 3.5 should keep cost down. The far more narrow 60 degree V layout should help with packaging those Turbos. Opinions?
Slightly off topic but adding 2 cylinders to the end of a 60 degree v6 has been done before. I think the previous taurus SHO V8 was 60 degree. There are some balance issues inherent in the design, but the engineers have demonstrated that balance issues are not an insurmountable challenge (FPC as an example).

I think it would only be necessary rather than the existing 5.0 coyote block with turbos if the engine bay space was too restrictive. However, I doubt the designers of the S550 platform failed to leave enough room for turbos. I would bet these platforms are very well thought out for future upgrades.

Any tuners out there care to comment on space for turbos with the Coyote?

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Remember that the Turbos will most likely be placed close to the exhaust just like the 2.7/3.5 engines. This is why I brought this up. All the Turbo kits that I've seen mount them out front.

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
When Jamal says "The GT350 has good bones", I believe it may be worth considering the next offering from SVT will be a GT350 variant using the GT350 platform.

It may not be called "GT500", even though it might basically fill that slot in Ford's line up.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Wasn't there speculation suggesting the GT will get over 700hp? Even if the GT500 has more than the GT it will still be close to double the weight. It could 1000hp and still won't come near it.

The more I think about it the more I believe Ford would slot the V6 EB in the Shelby... hope to God I'm wrong. Engineering the Voodoo to a TT289 would be one hairy unit.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
There are other reasons as to why they put and EB V6 in the GT, and one of them was size constraint.
If the GT500 does make an appearance, I think it would more likely be a variant of the Voodoo engine, whether it be a super high revving monster, or just a little bit of boost, I don't know. But I don't see Ford doing all this development in the Voodoo for just one special car.
My vote is on a TT Voodoo, with smallish state of the art turbos for incredible response and zero lag whilst still reaching very decent horsepower.

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
KERS anyone?

Sponsored

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
There are other reasons as to why they put and EB V6 in the GT, and one of them was size constraint.
If the GT500 does make an appearance, I think it would more likely be a variant of the Voodoo engine, whether it be a super high revving monster, or just a little bit of boost, I don't know. But I don't see Ford doing all this development in the Voodoo for just one special car.
My vote is on a TT Voodoo, with smallish state of the art turbos for incredible response and zero lag whilst still reaching very decent horsepower.
Lack of room is why I say a super charger will be used. There is no room for a TT Voodo in my opinion.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Whilst that is true, what is their reason for not using a V8 in the Raptor?

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Whilst that is true, what is their reason for not using a V8 in the Raptor?
I can only presume it has something to do with motorsport regulations in the category their aiming to race in. I believe torque was more important for this vehicle rather than horsepower, and the EBV6 has a lot of it!
Throw in a little CAFE in their and i think that is the most logical response.
Also, just because they advertised their EBV6 in it, i wouldn't completely rule out an optional V8 at extra cost perhaps.

on d bit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jk
I agree, it won't really make it perform much better, but it's big for marketing…remember, it's all about the money, and look how much limelight and press the Hellcat is getting, gotta think Ford wants a piece of that.

Would Ford really be content with Fiat taking that crown? I don't think so. I agree in that is will go down in displacement! But I think they'll def seek to take the HP title from Hellcat. It's too easy not to.
I don't feel they need to or want to. Just because they can means nothing if it can't handle or perform like a modern vehicle. They may, yes but really who want a 4k or 4.2k lb car with 700+hp? I would much rather have a 3.5k lb 600hp car such as the z06 or zr1.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I don't feel they need to or want to. Just because they can means nothing if it can't handle or perform like a modern vehicle. They may, yes but really who want a 4k or 4.2k lb car with 700+hp? I would much rather have a 3.5k lb 600hp car such as the z06 or zr1.
Considering demand for the Hellcats has far outstripped supply and capacity...I'd say tons of people want a 4k lb car with 700hp.
Sponsored