Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Turbocharging is the way to go - I think Ford is done working with superchargers, it's kind of a half-ass aftermarket approach to making more power.

I want to see the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost in the GT500. If they want to chase the Hellcat market and want another heavy, uninspired supercharged boat like the last GT500 for all the old geezers that's fine, but won't interest me in the slightest bit.
Turbo is the way to go and Ford has committed to it.

However no need to castrate the gt500 with a 6 banger to get turbos.

They can just as easily develop an ecoboost v8, voodoo or coyote.

A turbo v6 svo would be cool just to show the world what ford can do with 6 cylinders.

But the gt500 is the top dog. It gets the FI v8.

No need to cut cylinders. Why? This car is about power. Yes a 4 or 6 cylinder will make big power with turbos. But the v8 will make much MORE.

The new platform has all kinds of structural integrity and it has potential for serious weight loss as well. Whatever t'eright advantage the 6 banger has will not have a huge impact and the power differential in terms of peak power and under the curve will be noticeable.

It's cool that the new GT has a turbo v6 in order to fit a particular race class and the car looks like it was sculpted around the engine.

But the Mustsng akready has a hot rod new v8 in the gt350. No need to go backwards.

Can a turbo v6 out power the voodoo. Sure. Look at the GT. But that would just be leaving power on the table when they can turbocharge the v8 and blow the v6 away.
Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
I'm still curious about this "Ecobeast" that Ford trademarked recently, before the show.

It was assumed it would have something to do with the Raptor, but nothing Ecobeast came up at the show.

So what is Ecobeast? If the GT's V6 is the most powerful Ecoboost V6 and that, too, was not given Ecobeast branding, then I deduce that it's an 8.

The V6 is enough for the GT because it's power density is sufficient in this vehicle whose focus is power to weight ratio, said to be right up there. The focus isn't outright power.

In a vehicle like the much heavier Mustang GT500, who's locked in a power war with manufacturers of muscle/pony cars, the focus and intent is outright power and nose-bleeding acceleration. Handling comes second, unlike the GT350.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I
So what is Ecobeast? If the GT's V6 is the most powerful Ecoboost V6 and that, too, was not given Ecobeast branding, then I deduce that it's an 8.
I agree and I hope you're right :)

Copperhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500 / 2011 Raptor
Wouldn't it be nice if it was an engine option for the GT and Raptor further down the road?

Skullbussa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT-R
It's cool that the new GT has a turbo v6 in order to fit a particular race class and the car looks like it was sculpted around the engine.

But the Mustsng akready has a hot rod new v8 in the gt350. No need to go backwards.

Can a turbo v6 out power the voodoo. Sure. Look at the GT. But that would just be leaving power on the table when they can turbocharge the v8 and blow the v6 away.
I just don't think we're going to ever see a turbocharged Voodoo (from the factory). I really hope I am wrong but I don't think Ford would sink all the R&D into an engine that would only ever go into one vehicle (it won't fit into the Ford GT).

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Well... If (and this is a big IF), the 3.5 TT engine is permitted in GT or higher, I wouldn't mind a "Competition GT500" AND, a TT 5.0 for the crazy R stuff.

...GT500 and GT500KR?????

91z28350

Obsessed with Horse Power
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JAMES
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT500 - 837 RWHP AND COUNTING
God i hope they don't put a v6 in the GT 500. TT or not. Now a ttv8 with an auto? Yes please and twice on Sunday!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I just don't think we're going to ever see a turbocharged Voodoo (from the factory). I really hope I am wrong but I don't think Ford would sink all the R&D into an engine that would only ever go into one vehicle (it won't fit into the Ford GT).
Respectfully disagree.

If ford spent all that money to develop the voodoo, it makes even more sense that it doesn't just go into the 350.

It's likeky a new PLATFORMS that will make it into the mustang GT before too long.

But makes all the more sense to boost it and put in the 500.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Respectfully disagree.

If ford spent all that money to develop the voodoo, it makes even more sense that it doesn't just go into the 350.

It's likeky a new PLATFORMS that will make it into the mustang GT before too long.

But makes all the more sense to boost it and put in the 500.
Maybe but they used the Condor 2 years in the GT500. Granted it was a redesign of an older engine but still Ford has been known to do 2 year runs.

Flat Plane Drifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTB- a 50th anniversary Shelby GT500 vert-;)
Excerpt on Jamal Hameedi's recent comments about the 5.2 FPC usage

MT: On to Ford GT -- was there ever any talk of it having the 5.2-liter V-8 or was it 3.5-liter from the very start?
JH: “We did a kind of decision matrix early -- pros and cons. There were a lot of different architectures studied, but this engine is clearly superior for everything that a car like the GT needs -- in terms of power and torque per kilogram, power and torque per liter, package… you know the car is a fuselage design so it just dives in, so the package is extremely tight.”

MT: It’s kind of mind-blowing then. Why even do the 5.2-liter V-8 if not for a car like the Ford GT?
JH: “It’s the perfect engine for the GT350.”

MT: But just one vehicle? One model? That’s it? It doesn’t go anywhere else?
JH: “If I was a GT350 customer, I would love that. I’ve got an exclusive engine that no one else has."
MT: But then Raptor and the Ford GT share the same engine?
JH: “No, those two engines are very different. The Ford GT’s is a DP (Daytona Protype) engine -- with a dry sump, big turbos -- it’s a significantly different engine.
MT: Will it go racing?
JH: “We’re not talking about it at this time.”
MT: Just curious, did you see our renderings of the Ford GT? How did we do?
JH: “Yes I did and well, ahhh… I like ours.”
MT: Thank you, that’s a very nice way of putting it. So, what of the rumored mid-engine Corvette? That’s an obvious competit-
JH: “Bring it.”
MT: OK, OK. So will this perform in the category of the hypercar -- LaFerrari, McLaren P1, Porsche 918 -- or the level below -- Ferrari 458, Audi R8, etc?
JH: “It’s not a hypercar. It won’t be more than a million bucks either. I can tell you that.”
MT: Ok, congratulations and thanks for the time.
JH: “Exciting times for Ford -- we’re all in. No one else has this kind of lineup in the world."

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/1501_ford...en_who_made_them_a_reality.html#ixzz3PkJUPg6Z

Sponsored

Cruzinaround

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2011 GT Premium, 2012 BMW M3, Etc Etc
I'm still curious about this "Ecobeast" that Ford trademarked recently, before the show.

It was assumed it would have something to do with the Raptor, but nothing Ecobeast came up at the show.

The V6 is enough for the GT because it's power density is sufficient in this vehicle whose focus is power to weight ratio, said to be right up there. The focus isn't outright power.

In a vehicle like the much heavier Mustang GT500, who's locked in a power war with manufacturers of muscle/pony cars, the focus and intent is outright power and nose-bleeding acceleration. Handling comes second, unlike the GT350.
If I were to guess about this "Ecobeast" and just throw my best wish out there.

I would take the Trinity and twin turbo that then convert it into a dry sump application to allow for more under the hood clearance and shoehorn into the S550. Dry-Sumping it would also help to distribute the center of gravity and help with weight distribution to aid in creating a GT500 variant based on the s550 platform that can still share much of the underpinnings of a GT350. Push the power envelope of this power plant well into the Bugatti territory and just go for it.

That would even apply with the VooDoo engine. Either way it would be outside the box thinking in keeping with their innovations push from the new Ford Performance division.

It would also fall right in line with having to retool the manufacturing plant where the Trinity used to be assembled. As an assembly plant they are likely already prepared for a refresh for a resurrected Pheonix type project that could reboot a Dry-sump Trinity process for another specialty application.

Then from the ashes of the Trinity.....

The Pheonix will rise again.

We all can dream.

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
V8 Twin Turbo Voodoo would make a great engine for the GT. Just say no to a V6. It would be blasphemy, for this kind of car. Open the bonnet and see a V6!. Don't do it. Want to see this car Devastate those other super cars with looks alone. :headbang:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
V8 Twin Turbo Voodoo would make a great engine for the GT. Just say no to a V6. It would be blasphemy, for this kind of car. Open the bonnet and see a V6!. Don't do it. Want to see this car Devastate those other super cars with looks alone. :headbang:

It's a race engine. It was put there to compete, not look cool.

(Talking about the GT Supercar)

Tom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Daily Driver
Yes I know that. I was talking about the cars looks not the engine in last sentence, read it again.( No disrespect intended). I stated that I thought a Turbo charged VooDoo would be a good choice for the GT, but we are going to have to wait to see what comes down the pike. We could all be wrong. Who knows. I do remember the Buick Regale Turbo v6 and with some mods It was a very good Drag strip car, in it's day. :ford:

Last edited:

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2

I agree too...leave the corner carving to the GT350R and the horse:headbang: power war to the GT500
Sponsored