Sponsored

Rumor - The GT500 thread

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Why don't they call new things new names? The car industry is probably almost as bad as Hollywood at this point with all the 'remakes'.
It's just a new version of the same car, so it gets the same name. Helps maintain continuity. Why call the S550 a Mustang? Why call the new supercar the Ford GT? It's less about marketing and money and more about maintaining that history, nostalgia, and giving instant recognition to the mission of the vehicle.

IMO.

-T
Sponsored

Maxflo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Truck
THe potential of any other of Ford's options commented in this thread in absolutely no way has more potential than a well designed 6.2/429. It is simply impossible. Physics actually states the there is in fact no replacement to displacement, all things being alike.

Doc Holliday

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 GT500
THe potential of any other of Ford's options commented in this thread in absolutely no way has more potential than a well designed 6.2/429. It is simply impossible. Physics actually states the there is in fact no replacement to displacement, all things being alike.
You said naturally aspirated in your original post. A NA 429 is not likely to outperform a twin turbo or supercharged 5.x V8. But yes, if you add boost to both, the 429 should dominate.

Maxflo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Truck
Well that is true. And what Id like to see is the NA version. But my bad, I was referring to "ultimate" potential. Aftermarket FI and all

X

mustangletback

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 droptop mustang
I thought about putting that down as my "wishful thinking." It would be purely for nostalgic purposes. And it could sound nasty. Otherwise any of the other proposed power plants would most likely outperform it. But it would definitely peg the cool meter for me.
What I'd like to see won't happen.

DOHC, N/A, Aluminum block 6.2 bored up to 429.
650-700HP.

THAT's my engine there.
i agree,but more power is needed,429 with 775hp,750tq,and a 7 speed.no automatic.:ford::thumbsup::cheers:

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Potential for power on an engine dyno, yes. But not the best potential for anything in a car - other than maybe tire smoke.

It's not lighter, it's not smaller, so any kind of serious use will be better with a different powertrain. Unless you are putting it in a dragster or putting slicks on the car, then it has more potential for a 1/4 mile. But not more potential in a straight line anywhere else. Even for a top speed effort I expect you'd be better off with a smaller engine in a more aerodynamic car. Definitely not better around corners.

Maxflo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Truck
Hahaha dude.

Tire smoke? The gt350r comes with 315 rears, you think thats not enough? Maybe they can even put wider...?
If the engine is NA, like I sugested, it would be no problem. If you are referring the full potential of the engine, you can also get pretty high HP either with a coyote TT or v6 TT so your same rule for slicks or whatever applies.

As for corners, ford has a car for that, its the gt350/r, that gt500 is a GT car, it only needs to be good enough on the twisties. Also an NA full aluminum 6.2 would maybe be pretty close in weight to a coyote with 2 nice turbos and their plumbing and intercooler or a big supercharger on top.

Lastly, we are alking again about the gt500, so aerodinamics are mostly set, like the case for the 350. maybe something here and there, but the engine bay space is set, its not like ford would change it because they would put a 1cylinder engine in it. At maximum it would be empty space. Plus in the case of a supercharger, the hood has to stay high for obbious reasons.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hahaha dude.

Tire smoke? The gt350r comes with 315 rears, you think thats not enough? Maybe they can even put wider...?
If the engine is NA, like I sugested, it would be no problem. If you are referring the full potential of the engine, you can also get pretty high HP either with a coyote TT or v6 TT so your same rule for slicks or whatever applies.

As for corners, ford has a car for that, its the gt350/r, that gt500 is a GT car, it only needs to be good enough on the twisties. Also an NA full aluminum 6.2 would maybe be pretty close in weight to a coyote with 2 nice turbos and their plumbing and intercooler or a big supercharger on top.

Lastly, we are alking again about the gt500, so aerodinamics are mostly set, like the case for the 350. maybe something here and there, but the engine bay space is set, its not like ford would change it because they would put a 1cylinder engine in it. At maximum it would be empty space. Plus in the case of a supercharger, the hood has to stay high for obbious reasons.
Ford got 600 hp out of the 3.5 liter V6. You think 5 liters with twin turbos won't be able to make enough power to smoke 315 rears in a front engine car - at any legal speed? :)

Maxflo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Truck
Exactly, you are making my point. They can and willgive us a platform that will be a tyre smoker no matter what.

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
What are the pros/cons of having the turbos all the way down there? Surely turbo lag would be terrible?

2013-ford-mustang-gt-cobra-jet-concept-engine-display.jpg
That is one Pretty motor!

Some would depend on the size of the turbos. Wrap them up to keep the heat in (a hot turbo is a happy turbo), give them some ball bearings (faster spool up) and they'll be fine.

I actually think that's a nice design that would work well because it would help to contain the heat in the engine bay. I think that they'd benefit by making the ducts in the hood functional.

If you look at the STS (rear mount turbos), they can get by with little lag, once again, if sized properly, and they're a lot further back than those are.
There plenty of cars out there using these that make over 650+ rwhp and move out just fine.

Just my .02 and you get what you pay for. :)

Sorry for the hijack and I agree with everyone's GT500 wishes, but the car might be cost prohibitive with all of these goodies. Cool, but expensive!

Sponsored

adrift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mercedes Benz GLK
Well, my first wish is NO TURBOS PLEASE! Superchargers I don't mind as much because they are not in the exhaust.

IMO the tradition is that the GT500 is the 'big number' and the GT350 is the 'lil number' due first to motor size. So I would expect the GT500 to have more cubic inches.

I also hope it has a convertible option, as that's the one reason I might choose it over the GT350.

So my wish:
-no turbos
-faster 1/4 & 0-60 than any c'maro or dodge
-droptop
-looks as cool as the GT350

Without the droptop, I'd choose either the 8000-rpm GT350 or the GT Convertible.

Flat Plane Drifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTB- a 50th anniversary Shelby GT500 vert-;)
Here's what a Shelby SP Region director posted back in August 2014.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We took a tour of Watson Racing last week on a trip to Dearborn. Surprisingly, they came right out and confirmed the GT350 AND that they would be responsible for a VIN'd R model. Also confirmed that its a flat crank NA, and since they produced the BOSS S, I can only assume they have a race only version down the line as well.

I notice a few of you have mentioned the Trinity. The bombshell of the trip came when I heard the Romeo engine plant was closed off to tours because the plant was working on Voodoo and a NEW big block to replace the 5.8 -and said as if that information was just common knowledge.

I've heard rumors, and I usually don't throw much weight into their content. But this would make sense if Ford does decide to throw a Mach 1 or Boss 429 at the Hellcat."

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I do recall hearing that rumour before, probably around the time you've indicated (August '14).

Whilst I'd LOVE that to be true, I'm surprised the rumour died....if there was any truth to it.

We know, or at least believe Trinity is dead. I guess the same comment could have been made about Condor (5.4).......but that wouldn't have meant something bigger and better was coming. So, could Trinity morph into something new? Dave P did state Trinity would fit "with work" or words to that effect :)

Last edited:

Flat Plane Drifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTB- a 50th anniversary Shelby GT500 vert-;)
I do recall hearing that rumour before, probably around the time you've indicated (August '14).

Whilst I'd LOVE that to be true, I'm surprised the rumour died....if there was any truth to it.

We know, or at least believe Trinity is dead. I guess the same comment could have been made about Condor (5.4).......but that wouldn't have meant something bigger and better was coming. So, could Trinity morph into something new? Dave P did state Trinity would fit "with work" or words to that effect :)
Actually, what I've been hearing backs up what he said about a bigger motor/Trinity replacement.

Cool thing is, IMHO, is that the rest of what he said was dead on. :)

Supposedly a GT 500 mule. Taken in 09/14 IIRC.
image.jpg
Sponsored