Sponsored

Tell me which mustang is for me

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I am completely guessing but would guess the V6 is the more reliable (marginally) out of the two. I only say this because from my understanding it is the older "more proven" engine as I understand. The 5.0 seems to not have many, if any issues though. I can't fully attest to the build of the 86 but I have been very happy with the interior of my EB premium. You can't get the higher trim package with the V6 anymore as far as I know.

I think trying to compare a mustang GT to a Toyota 86 would be very difficult. It would be more so what you were looking for. I had done some research on the Toyota and ended up knocking it off my list simply for the size factor TBH. I just personally wanted a bit bigger car as I am a bit bigger guy at 6 ft, 250. I didn't think I would comfortably fit in the 86, but that is just me. The better comparison to me seems to be the Miata to the 86, in which I would pick the 86. I did get to check out a coworkers and it seemed nice but I did notice it lacked a few "luxury" details my mustang had. I also think the boxer engine in the 86 is cool but from what I can recall it comes with a few quirks of it's own (which I'd guess you are aware of), such as spark plug changes, and it requiring 93 octane. Just some more thoughts. In the end don't let people here or anywhere else make the decision for ya or you may not be happy with it.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I owned a 2013 Scion FR-S for 3 years. Unless you're in your early 20's, I wouldn't get it. Nothing like meeting up with other 86 owners and they're all 10 years younger than you. The car is under powered regardless of how well it handles and the mods available. If you aren't planning to supercharge it, you will lose interest in it. Getting smoked by a minivan from a light isn't exactly awesome when your car looks a lot faster than it is.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I am completely guessing but would guess the V6 is the more reliable (marginally) out of the two. I only say this because from my understanding it is the older "more proven" engine as I understand. The 5.0 seems to not have many, if any issues though. I can't fully attest to the build of the 86 but I have been very happy with the interior of my EB premium. You can't get the higher trim package with the V6 anymore as far as I know.

I think trying to compare a mustang GT to a Toyota 86 would be very difficult. It would be more so what you were looking for. I had done some research on the Toyota and ended up knocking it off my list simply for the size factor TBH. I just personally wanted a bit bigger car as I am a bit bigger guy at 6 ft, 250. I didn't think I would comfortably fit in the 86, but that is just me. The better comparison to me seems to be the Miata to the 86, in which I would pick the 86. I did get to check out a coworkers and it seemed nice but I did notice it lacked a few "luxury" details my mustang had. I also think the boxer engine in the 86 is cool but from what I can recall it comes with a few quirks of it's own (which I'd guess you are aware of), such as spark plug changes, and it requiring 93 octane. Just some more thoughts. In the end don't let people here or anywhere else make the decision for ya or you may not be happy with it.
My line of thoughts is very similar to yours. Plus, I'm also 6ft and all :)

But if I go V6 new, that would be this year opportunity only, right?

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1

As someone who has the details on warranty information, the cyclone and coyote have basically the same reliability. Very few issues on both of them. I would lean towards the GT because the V6 is being discontinued, it's aftermarket potential is less, and the fuel economy difference is not that great. It's the EB that's been the problem child with respect to defective engines.

But the V6 is still a good engine if you cannot spring for the GT.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I owned a 2013 Scion FR-S for 3 years. Unless you're in your early 20's, I wouldn't get it. Nothing like meeting up with other 86 owners and they're all 10 years younger than you. The car is under powered regardless of how well it handles and the mods available. If you aren't planning to supercharge it, you will lose interest in it. Getting smoked by a minivan from a light isn't exactly awesome when your car looks a lot faster than it is.
I agree with what you say. That's the reason I'm at this forum right now :)

Both forums ft86 and this one have recent driver's age polls and they are very similar by the way. With peaks between 20 and 30 yo. My age group is +5% at this forum :) But the polls have one extra filter applied to the results: "participates at forums" which I guess explains some things.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I agree with what you say. That's the reason I'm at this forum right now :)

Both forums ft86 and this one have recent driver's age polls and they are very similar by the way. With peaks between 20 and 30 yo. My age group is +5% at this forum :) But the polls have one extra filter applied to the results: "participates at forums" which I guess explains some things.
Also, I'm 6'6" and I crammed myself into the FR-S. The $500 deposit with no test drive was a gamble because they were all sold as they hit the shores. You'll appreciate the roominess of the Mustang. I know I love the legroom.

Major annoyances with the car: Crickets (HPFP lubrication issue), cam seals leaking on the sides with oil. Think the second issue was fixed later on with better sealing. Another reason why I won't go for a first year model again.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
2 years and 30k miles into a full bolt on Ecoboost, tuned less than 24 hours after delivery daily driven on the German Autobahn, I have yet to ever find out what this fabled "extra maintenance" for the Ecoboost actually is. But so since people's opinions mean enough to you to merit asking what car you should be driving, you should get a GT350R. It the other only way you can ensure no other Mustang can pull up next to you and question your manhood. At least until the gt500.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
[MENTION=16952]Glenn G[/MENTION] I am with you there. The only issue I have had was the front engine cover oil "ooze" that I got fixed under warranty with no issues. I think that could have happened to any car and did not seem to be a major issue considering the dealership told me I could drive it no problem the week between when they diagnosed it and fixed it.
[MENTION=30351]accel[/MENTION] This would be the last year for a new V6 as far as I know. If you can afford the V8 I dont see any reason for you to settle on a V6 though. Just b/c power is available doesn't mean you have to use it. Also you can't get leather and such in the V6 but if you are looking at a toyota 86 it doesn't seem like leather and interior upgrades matter much to you since I believe it doesn't have much of that either. Since you are also not short I think you'd appreciate the mustang much more than the 86 any way you spec'd it. Fairly certain most of the manufacturer qualities you are looking for would be fairly equal across the two cars.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
I had a BRZ. I did a UEL header and a flex fuel tune and made About 240hp. The car was extremely fun and faster than v6 mustangs by a good bit. I pulled on my coworker's 14 v6 auto with zero issues whatsoever. If you are between an 86 and a v6 mustang go 86 every time. It feels like a go kart on steroids on the street. So much fun.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I do not buy mustang to race other muscle car owners at streets.
I'm not in my teens.

I came to a conclusion that I like cars that are nicely done, reasonably reliable.
Have reasonable handling. Have reasonable power. Not the most power available. Appropriate at autocross grid.

So, between V6 and V8 versions I'd preffer the one that has better long term reliability.

My other candidate is Toyota 86 fyi :) I do have twisty roads around....
Both will be very reliable engines for a very long time.

If you go for a GT PP you won't be wanting for more. Handles well, rides well, and very appropriate at the autocross grid while being comfortable enough for the cross-country road trip. The engine will make you smile and laugh.

Sponsored

bay584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
[MENTION=30351]accel[/MENTION] Living in San Jose, I often wish I had a ecoboost. Better MPG and cheaper insurance. Its not like I can stretch my GT's legs stoplight to stoplight. Also these cars feel a bit big in this compact parking city

Even a good exhaust note, doesn't replace the practical part of my brain.

But I do look forward to every on ramp without traffic on it...

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Btw, one of early CD reviews had info that engine sound at Mustang was augmented by stereo system. Is this correct?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, one of early CD reviews had info that engine sound at Mustang was augmented by stereo system. Is this correct?
The Ecoboost is, yes. IMO it sounds better without it, but still sounds weird in a car that looks like the S550. I liked driving the Ecoboost, for the most part, and it handles great, but my brain was struggling with that sound in a car that looks as it does. In a hot hatch, sure, fine. In a gorgeous sports coupe....:shrug:

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
@accel Living in San Jose, I often wish I had a ecoboost. Better MPG and cheaper insurance. Its not like I can stretch my GT's legs stoplight to stoplight. Also these cars feel a bit big in this compact parking city

But I do look forward to every on ramp without traffic on it...
I'm from SJ as well :cheers:

I was deciding between a nicely loaded EB (Premium, PP) or a base GT, both were priced about the same. For me, the GT costs $15/mo more to insure than an EB and about $30 more per month for gas. So in total it's about $45/mo more to drive a GT over an EB. Totally worth it and if I did get an EB or V6, I would seriously regretted not getting the GT. I learned my lesson getting an IS250, wish I would have gotten the IS350.

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The EB is a great car. I have a lot of fun in mine. Boost is addicting.

It is, however, not a car for the thin skinned. If you need to validate your purchase on the opinions of others, you're going to have a bad time in an EB Mustang.
Sponsored