Tell me which mustang is for me

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys for the information. You are very knowledgeable.

The funny thing about my situation is that what I really want right now firstplace is - sell my current car. I just fixed it, tired of DIY and dealer fixing it. No more. I just do not trust it anymore and would not take it onto any critical trip. Not very prepared for this financially, but... well, have to pay for my mistake.

Mustang and FRS are the only cars I can look at at the moment.

As I mentioned above I rented AT Mustang for several days on a business trip and really liked it. That's even better than a test drive... starting it in the morning, runing errands, occasional spirited drive, parking it, loading luggage, returning to the car the next day... Now, I was very busy that time and didn't care to pop the hood and check what engine it was... But I think it must've been the V6, since I fueled it with regular and there were no signs of "premium only" anywhere in sight... The car had ~25k on it and felt like pretty well built vehicle with no rattles or any other annoyances. I liked the steering, the way AT worked etc. Even had a chance to check brakes in an emergency stop. My only rant was - the roofline for passengers in the back was low. They are not really even covered with the roof, but the glass.

So, I owe myself and you guys a testdrive of a MT V6. I'm manual guy, but if does not feel right, can pick the AT for a Mustang (but not the FRS).

I can afford GT... GT is nice, but I would not buy current DI V8, and hate '18 all electronic dash... I mean, we all are staring LCD screens at our laptops, tvs and mobile phones all day long these days.... so give me some material objects in sight... Any hope the dash would be optional?

And yes, I LIKE THAT GRABBER BLUE COLOR! :)

I wish white stripes were available for v6.
Current V8 is not DI. It's port injection. '18 V8 is port and direct injection. '18 fancy dash would be on premium trims only.
Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Current V8 is not DI. It's port injection. '18 V8 is port and direct injection. '18 fancy dash would be on premium trims only.
Hm... sounds like I didn't research well enough. Both - good news :)

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
If you like the V6, the one to get you can't get new anymore: manual with the 3.55 axle. They had it available with the 051A package in 2015, available without the 051A in 2016, but not at all for 2017. The manual, 3.55 V6 is definitely good fun.
I understand that 3.55 would accelerate faster... how much? Is it about fractions of seconds, or is it about some other annoyance?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I understand that 3.55 would accelerate faster... how much? Is it about fractions of seconds, or is it about some other annoyance?
Well, it puts 13% more torque to the wheels. You have to shift a little more but it should be a couple tenths faster to 60 and in the quarter. It also FEELS quite a bit quicker all the time, even when you're not timing. I've driven both with the manual and the 3.55 makes the engine. It loves to rev and comes alive above 4000 rpm, so you want the gearing matched to it.

The GT power curve feels similar except a lot more everywhere.

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
And yes, I LIKE THAT GRABBER BLUE COLOR! :)

I wish white stripes were available for v6.
Could always add some
https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2015-17-mustang-graphix.html

I put flat black hash stripes on guard.

3:55 will get you into the power band quicker and feel quicker but really only be .1-.2 seconds on the stop watch. Will lower mpg's by a little bit.

NOTE: if you do get a V6 first mod should be an OEM GT cat-back exhaust. It bolts on the V6 without any modification. Really improves the sound and can be had for very cheap. Sourced mine for $50

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Could always add some
https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2015-17-mustang-graphix.html

I put flat black hash stripes on guard.

3:55 will get you into the power band quicker and feel quicker but really only be .1-.2 seconds on the stop watch. Will lower mpg's by a little bit.

NOTE: if you do get a V6 first mod should be an OEM GT cat-back exhaust. It bolts on the V6 without any modification. Really improves the sound and can be had for very cheap. Sourced mine for $50

Where did you get your GT Exhaust?

gov cheese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7 051A Guard
Where did you get your GT Exhaust?
Posted in my regional forum on this site. Most GT owners just want to get that huge cat-back out of their garage. Have even seen people post them up for free as long as you pick them up. Happy hunting, now i am looking for OEM four piston base GT brakes.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1