Tell me which mustang is for me

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Isn't the last gen too computerized? I didn't like multiple driving and steering mode selections. Things like that might be prohibitively difficult to repair if go bad.
No more so than the previous gen. The only difference between the one with all the driving modes and without would be the switches and the programming in the central electronics. Everything is computer controlled these days, so don't think that less options to you means less complexity in the car.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well I learned the theory behind DI engines hard way. IMO, right now only Toyota has pretty clean solution to the problem. Also, I will make mistake by not learning ftom my prev. mistakes.
Well if you like the 18 design, the Coyote will have PFI and DI, just what like you refered to with Toyota.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
I come from the world of BMWs. The GT was a great enough car to have me get rid of my BMW and stick with this.

The ecoboost is a good engine, but nothing beats the coyote. The N54 on my 335I was close in terms of power and performance, but the reliability was terrible.

I highly recommend you test drive one. These cars are MUCH improved from the old americans of yore. The interior of my 26K ecoboost had me questioning why my F30 was approximately double the price. The number of compliments I've gotten on this car have far exceeded any BMW. And the performance/dollar is hard to beat. Not to mention the much lower cost of ownership compared to BMW.

I'm very very happy with my GT and my second S550.

My recommendation: if you're going to get one of these go two ways: 1. get a V6, base, no options. The V6 is a good engine with a good sound and at a low cost. 2. go for the GT, get performance pack/premium pack. Go hard or go home.

It does help that I get A-plan discounts on this car.

Rangore

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've recently bought my first Mustang. It's a GT Premium with 20" wheels, and 6 speed manual. It's been a blast to drive. It's a more firm ride than my previous car (Camaro 2SS). It also had 20" wheels. Both cars were great fun, but I'm thinking I like the Mustang a little more. Before getting this Mustang I drove a 2016 Camaro 2SS. It was a much smoother car than my Mustang.

So...I'd say go spend a few hours in the driver's seats.

You won't get a true answer for you on a forum of any sorts.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Well if you like the 18 design, the Coyote will have PFI and DI, just what like you refered to with Toyota.
That's interesting

Sponsored

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I come from the world of BMWs. The GT was a great enough car to have me get rid of my BMW and stick with this.

The ecoboost is a good engine, but nothing beats the coyote. The N54 on my 335I was close in terms of power and performance, but the reliability was terrible.

I highly recommend you test drive one. These cars are MUCH improved from the old americans of yore. The interior of my 26K ecoboost had me questioning why my F30 was approximately double the price. The number of compliments I've gotten on this car have far exceeded any BMW. And the performance/dollar is hard to beat. Not to mention the much lower cost of ownership compared to BMW.

I'm very very happy with my GT and my second S550.

My recommendation: if you're going to get one of these go two ways: 1. get a V6, base, no options. The V6 is a good engine with a good sound and at a low cost. 2. go for the GT, get performance pack/premium pack. Go hard or go home.

It does help that I get A-plan discounts on this car.
Well, I m looking at the right direction to step from bmw e90 :)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That's interesting
Indeed it is. I much prefer the look of the 15-17 but that's just me. From a performance and options perspective the 18 is really great.

bahasad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Premium, 14 BMW F30 Stage 1
Well, I m looking at the right direction to step from bmw e90 :)
Couple of things to compare with the E90 (i had a 335i, my sister still has a 328i):

- the E90 is far more nimble. I find this to be a much bigger car in terms of feel. It handles well for its size, but the E90 is a small nimble car. This feels like a GT car in comparison
- the E90 fells well put together. I had mine until 80k miles, and my sisters has 130k miles. they feel like they're built very well
- power: i had an 07 335i with an MHD tune, and its close but still a ways from the GT. And the power delivery is different. The Coyote V8 is a very free-revving, powerful engine versus the N54 which was torquey. Coyote feels similar to the N52 except double the power. And with the aftermarket, the coyote is much better.
- interior comfort wise, I would say the mustang is better.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
Get the Grand Tourer, without a doubt!
Why mess around if this is going to be your first Mustang?
Give it a chance to make a good impression on you. :ford:

Last edited:
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang EB PP, 2016 Buick Verano
I've had my '15 Ecoboost since January 2017 and I love it. Great gas mileage and enough power to put a smile on my face. Only upgrades so far are snow tires for the rough Michigan winters and road.

Sponsored

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
i would go all out for a GT performance pack premium. It's really the best way to experience the car.

That said, if you're coming from a BMW and Japanese cars, this mustang will not be nearly as well put together. It's mainly panel and interior fit and finish that will be lacking. My 15 GT pp premium squeaked and rattled like a mofo with less than 10k miles on the clock. I've since killed all but one squeak and rattle, so it's not hard or expensive at all to fix, just annoying.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
[MENTION=30351]accel[/MENTION] not sure how much power your used to. I test drove a V6 and then an EB (both manual). Ended up walking away with the EB. And haven't looked back since. I just had a loaner V6 auto for a few days and was miserable. I honestly did not find it to be nearly as fun of a car to drive. Not hating on it as it still got me to work everyday in comfort and some style, the auto transmission just made the v6 a feel slow even though it definitely wasn't.

I was also very anti EB when I first started looking at mustangs but then the more research I did the more I saw pros far out weighing cons. I wouldn't necessarily count it out from your search. By no means am I trying to say it's the best, but if the GT is a bit out of your market like it was for me then I think the EB is the next best option. I find with manual I have never felt the need for more power on public roads. Other more experienced sports car drivers will probably say otherwise but I came from a 2005 4 cylinder escāpé, and 2000 v6 mustang before that. Only thing I feel I am missing is the exhaust note which I compensated for by putting a BOV adapter on so I have a more tuner-esque​ car sound now instead mustang car sound, which I personally enjoy (to each their own).

If the GT is a viable option for you, then pull the trigger. The mustang is a great car. They wouldn't have made it for the last 53 years if it wasn't. Getting a GT puts you in the largest customer base which also gives you the largest mod base if that's your thing. It's the most expensive Stang for a reason.

OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I do not buy mustang to race other muscle car owners at streets.
I'm not in my teens.

I came to a conclusion that I like cars that are nicely done, reasonably reliable.
Have reasonable handling. Have reasonable power. Not the most power available. Appropriate at autocross grid.

So, between V6 and V8 versions I'd preffer the one that has better long term reliability.

My other candidate is Toyota 86 fyi :) I do have twisty roads around....

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I do not buy mustang to race other muscle car owners at streets.
I'm not in my teens.

I came to a conclusion that I like cars that are nicely done, reasonably reliable.
Have reasonable handling. Have reasonable power. Not the most power available. Appropriate at autocross grid.

So, between V6 and V8 versions I'd preffer the one that has better long term reliability.

My other candidate is Toyota 86 fyi :) I do have twisty roads around....
They are both reliable in the long term. You can't go wrong with either engine. Nobody can make the final decision on this forum for you except you. The best advice is to go test drive both back to back. Then think about it and figure out which one fits your life better. With the current gen Mustang, it's a win win man. I mean getting to look at that body all the time. Lol.

Don't get the FR-Z. I guarantee you will want to mod it for more power right away.