Sponsored

58+% Power gain on just 8psi of ProCharger Supercharger Boost....

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Coupe 2.3L High Performance + HP + 6M
Well I did look at prices of low mileage junk yard motors before I went this route and they can be found in the $1000 to $1500 range, which IMO is pretty cheap.

We ordered the RAM HDX clutch and steel flywheel so hopefully we will get this car back on the road soon.
The cheap replacement motors is also a plus for the V6 over the EcoBoost and GT. Rebuilding one with these parts would be good http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...page=product_info&cPath=28_39&products_id=649 if ProCharging the car. It would be ultra reliable at 450-500hp, I would think.

I was very happy with those Ram items on my 2012 Mustang V6. I'm sure you will be happy. Make sure you get the bolts you need for the flywheel. Looking forward to hearing how they work out for you.
Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
I'm guessing the a normal GT flywheel will fit with a GT pressure plate. The issue is that the throw out bearing will be too far away. The RAM HDX clutch/pressure plate kit has a spacer to move the throw out bearing closer to the pressure plate.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
Intresting!

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
Something to think about when having a ProCharger on the V6 is the extra weight it puts on the car. It adds about 75 lbs and puts it in the worst place at the front and top of the motor. You now basically have the weight of the V8 but now with higher center of gravity. I noticed this on my 2012 V6 right away. To help get the handling and ride back; I put adjustable Koni shocks and I was going to do adjustable Eibach front and rear sway bars (sold it before I got to that mod). Also, the extra weight would certainly make me upgrade the brakes to the 4 piston ones of the GT which is easy to do but does increase weight a bit too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Something to think about when having a ProCharger on the V6 is the extra weight it puts on the car. It adds about 100lbs and puts it in the worst place at the front and top of the motor. You now basically have the weight of the V8 but now with higher center of gravity. I noticed this on my 2012 V6 right away. To help get the handling and ride back; I put adjustable Koni shocks and I was going to do adjustable Eibach front and rear sway bars (sold it before I got to that mod).
This system doesn't weight 100lbs... the entire shipping weight including packaging is less then that amount. (actually the Corvette system, which has a larger intercooler, more brackets, etc. is 97 lbs.

The ~ 75 lbs, is far far far over looked by the amount of power created by the system. :) Heck some drivers of these cars vary by more then that amount, or when as passenger is added to the car. :)

No matter if its a stick, or an auto... these cars are wicked fun to drive after the blower. Trust me I know, I have driven a few of them now, and its actually hard for me to give the cars back. Just a total blast to drive!

Sponsored

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
This system doesn't weight 100lbs... the entire shipping weight including packaging is less then that amount. (actually the Corvette system, which has a larger intercooler, more brackets, etc. is 97 lbs.

The ~ 75 lbs, is far far far over looked by the amount of power created by the system. :) Heck some drivers of these cars vary by more then that amount, or when as passenger is added to the car. :)

No matter if its a stick, or an auto... these cars are wicked fun to drive after the blower. Trust me I know, I have driven a few of them now, and its actually hard for me to give the cars back. Just a total blast to drive!
Thank you for clarification though I did say about 100lbs, not exactly 100lbs. I will correct my post to the new number which still doesn't alter the reason for the post about how handling is affected.

I hope you can answer some further questions.

1. What might you suggest would be the cause of my 2012 Mustang V6 with the stock ProCharger kit for having a Rod bend with low mileage after about 7-8 months?

2. Shouldn't you recommend those with the manual transmission V6's replace their dual mass flywheel and clutch as surely the stock is not up to the power? Certainly on the 2011-14 but does the 2015-16 need it?

3. Should the drive shaft on the V6's be replaced as well? Certainly on the 2011-14 but does the 2015-16 need it?

I sold my 2012 Mustang V6 with the ProCharger and would consider doing the ProCharger to my 2015 Mustang V6 but I'm concerned about reliability of my engine and drive train.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Thank you for clarification though I did say about 100lbs, not exactly 100lbs. I will correct my post to the new number which still doesn't alter the reason for the post about how handling is affected.
I can't understand how a person could even measure the difference in handling at that weight change. (let alone feel it). Considering a 1 or 2 psi variation in tire pressure would have drastically different effects then that 50-70 lbs.

Again, adding a passenger to the car alters the handling drastically more then a supercharger would. But anyways...

I hope you can answer some further questions.

1. What might you suggest would be the cause of my 2012 Mustang V6 with the stock ProCharger kit for having a Rod bend with low mileage after about 7-8 months?
Since I have literally no details on your situation I would say....

1) If it was custom tuned, it likely had to much spark advance, or to much boost.

2) If it was low boost, and tuned correctly, then maybe you fell victim to just a very substandard part from Ford. (it happens, hence why they have a warranty, weird parts fail for weird reasons

3) I don't think I have ever heard of a rod failure like that in about the last 7 years, so I would have loved to see that rod.

4) Injector hung open, due to fuel debris... filled cly full of fuel, and you hydrolocked that piston, which bent the rod.

5) Water ingestion from something like a meth system that stayed on, or a custom intake that drew air from the fender, but also water as well.

But you see, really who knows. Since I have no details on your situation, I have no way to answer specific questions.

2. Shouldn't you recommend those with the manual transmission V6's replace their dual mass flywheel and clutch as surely the stock is not up to the power? Certainly on the 2011-14 but does the 2015-16 need it?

3. Should the drive shaft on the V6's be replaced as well? Certainly on the 2011-14 but does the 2015-16 need it?

I sold my 2012 Mustang V6 with the ProCharger and would consider doing the ProCharger to my 2015 Mustang V6 but I'm concerned about reliability of my engine and drive train.
The early cars 2011-14 we always recommend upgraded driveshaft.
We also DO NOT remove any factory speed limiters for liability reasons.

We have not seen a drive shaft failure in any of the 2015 BETA test cars that we have had, nor do we remove the speed limiters. (it seems when people do that, is when the real trouble starts)

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
I can't understand how a person could even measure the difference in handling at that weight change. (let alone feel it). Considering a 1 or 2 psi variation in tire pressure would have drastically different effects then that 50-70 lbs.

Again, adding a passenger to the car alters the handling drastically more then a supercharger would. But anyways...

Since I have literally no details on your situation I would say....

1) If it was custom tuned, it likely had to much spark advance, or to much boost.

2) If it was low boost, and tuned correctly, then maybe you fell victim to just a very substandard part from Ford. (it happens, hence why they have a warranty, weird parts fail for weird reasons

3) I don't think I have ever heard of a rod failure like that in about the last 7 years, so I would have loved to see that rod.

4) Injector hung open, due to fuel debris... filled cly full of fuel, and you hydrolocked that piston, which bent the rod.

5) Water ingestion from something like a meth system that stayed on, or a custom intake that drew air from the fender, but also water as well.

But you see, really who knows. Since I have no details on your situation, I have no way to answer specific questions.

The early cars 2011-14 we always recommend upgraded driveshaft.
We also DO NOT remove any factory speed limiters for liability reasons.

We have not seen a drive shaft failure in any of the 2015 BETA test cars that we have had, nor do we remove the speed limiters. (it seems when people do that, is when the real trouble starts)

Perhaps you are from the Drag Racing type person? I'm the road race track person (I have been on the real race track with 1 of my Lotus cars and Civic Type R) and I was very surprised to feel this difference right way with going round corners fast on the street. But anyways lets move on.

My kit was all stock with no meth. The only tune the car ever had was the ones your tech support sent me because it wouldn't even start with the stock tune that was supplied. I did data logging back and forth. Eventually, the car was running fine. It was a couple of months later after I sold that car when the issue showed up with not running right. The new owner said he didn't change anything and ran the highest quality fuel always. The new owner just put in a used engine and said it is running fine now. I'm going to try and find out more information and what he did with the old engine. He hasn't got back to me yet on that.

You answered the driveshaft question but you didn't mention anything about the clutch and flywheel?

I ask these questions because I'm interested for the future with my 2015 and others on this forum. I sure wish the $Cdn was on par with the $US as it was when I bought my kit for my 2012 Mustang V6. A 30% increase because of currency sure is tough for Canadians.

OP
OP
ProChargerTECH

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Perhaps you are from the Drag Racing type person? I'm the road race track person (I have been on the real race track with 1 of my Lotus cars and Civic Type R) and I was very surprised to feel this difference right way with going round corners fast on the street. But anyways lets move on.

My kit was all stock with no meth. The only tune the car ever had was the ones your tech support sent me because it wouldn't even start with the stock tune that was supplied. I did data logging back and forth. Eventually, the car was running fine. It was a couple of months later after I sold that car when the issue showed up with not running right. The new owner said he didn't change anything and ran the highest quality fuel always. The new owner just put in a used engine and said it is running fine now. I'm going to try and find out more information and what he did with the old engine. He hasn't got back to me yet on that.

You answered the driveshaft question but you didn't mention anything about the clutch and flywheel?

I ask these questions because I'm interested for the future with my 2015 and others on this forum. I sure wish the $Cdn was on par with the $US as it was when I bought my kit for my 2012 Mustang V6. A 30% increase because of currency sure is tough for Canadians.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

The engine was 100% fine when you had the car....
You sold it, and who knows what the new owner did with it.

Its pretty simple to add timing with that programmer, so I have seen people try and globally add 6 degrees of timing to the cars, then ask us "why did it blow up"... and I can see the file that they added the timing to.

I doubt you will ever get the "real" story as to what happened. However I can say that the V6's have been one of the most reliable motors we sell systems for. They are VERY underrated motors as far as the amount of power they can handle. So my guess is who ever you sold the car to, buggered up something really bad, or got some really really really bad gas.

I did answer the question about the clutch. We have had no issues, however a good clutch is always recommended when using something like a supercharger. But again, just depends on how the customer is using it. Driving it with street tires, it will likely live a long life... put slicks on it, and I am sure its game over.

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
Reading through the ProCharger installation instructions, I see no Spal Rad fan required for the 2015 kit, yeah! It was annoying to have that on my 2012 V6..

Sponsored

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
It isn't the clutch that goes, it's the dual mass flywheel. The clutch and pressure plate looked good when my flywheel died. I should have my car back today to try my new RAM flywheel and clutch.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
awesome! I cant wait to hear how is it with the non-lame flywheel

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
It isn't the clutch that goes, it's the dual mass flywheel. The clutch and pressure plate looked good when my flywheel died. I should have my car back today to try my new RAM flywheel and clutch.
It has always been the crappy Dual Mass Flywheel that went on the 2011-14 V6's but the clutch issue is it's clamping capability for the extra performance from the ProCharger. The Ram clutch you bought is rated for 450hp but what is the stock one rated for? We will probably never know?. It was my hope since they are new part numbers for the 2015 V6's flywheel and clutch that they improved it them.

fordguys550

yep..."just" a V6
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 6spd
well, id broke my flywheel with a few bolt ons....sooo.....and I know another guy whos 15 broke too

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
well, id broke my flywheel with a few bolt ons....sooo.....and I know another guy whos 15 broke too
I assume replaced under warranty.
Sponsored