Sponsored

Yet Another Gem From Tune+

bludrgn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Yet another gem from [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION]

So another engine that Tune+ refused to reinforce was sent to another shop to be disassembled and corrected. When the shop pulled the head, this is what they found.

If you look at the areas circled in the pictures, Tune+/Adam Brunson didn't drill relief holes into the CSS brace where the head gasket rivets would sit. There's no way the head would properly seal like this. You can even see the impression in the block/CSS brace where the head gasket rivet pressed against it when they torqued the head down.

I haven't torn my engine down as yet but I can practically guarantee it's the same way. It explains why once the engine saw some load on the dyno from the bigger turbo, coolant ended up in the combustion chamber. It wasn't the tune. It wasn't the dyno. It was the shoddy assembly work done by Tune+. Unless of course Adam is going to say that this is also somehow the customer's fault.

This flaw is likely present in every flawed engine that Adam has sold.

Time to recall and fix all those engines you sold [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION]

http://imgur.com/a/VjgNG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Obviously you did not empty your catch can (sarcasm)

I cant get your pictures to load.

Edit - works in chrome browser. Thank you.

JSCOTT0812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
From what I've noticed; there aren't too many people happy with these built engines. It's pretty unfortunate because I would have loved to order one.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I haven't torn my engine down as yet but I can practically guarantee it's the same way.
I might have torn my engine down before posting. But that is me... I like to make sure I'm 100% on point, just in case.

Then again, you might have saved someone from a potentially bad purchase by posting soon as you "smelled" something.

Sorry this happened to you...

Blyman93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang (Black)
Well this is unfortunate news. I never enjoy seeing unhappy developments with the platform. I'm going MAP engine anyways when time comes but hopefully this is more of an isolated incident..

Also the pictures aren't loading

Sponsored

OP
OP
bludrgn

bludrgn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Well this is unfortunate news. I never enjoy seeing unhappy developments with the platform. I'm going MAP engine anyways when time comes but hopefully this is more of an isolated incident..

Fixed the link. Should work now.

JSCOTT0812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT

I do believe these engines that are sold by tune+ are machined by MAP to Tune+ specs using recommended parts. And unless more people come out with issues that are similar you have to assume it is an isolated incident. I'm sure Adam will chime in sooner rather than later judging by the content of these posts though.

Also, I don't have time to find the link but, there was someone that spent over 15k at MAP for engine upgrades and didn't get anything close to expectations in return. I'm not even sure if he ended up with a 100% running engine. It's been a while but that did happen as well.

People can hate on others for swapping to GTs but at the end of the day, if you pour anything close to 20k into this car performance wise you should get at least 650hp, IMO.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Another gem from Ron Henry a self proclaimed tuning expert, now an engine building expert. This post is going to address two issues which will be outlined separately.

First Issue: Headgasket retaining rivets (actually not a rivet at all in fact it is a dimple die added to hold the headgasket together) being compressed into the added CSS - Cylinder Support System on our Focus RS and Ecoboost Mustang built engines.

The head side has a small mark from the face side of the retaining rivet, you will notice in the pictures posted that the outline is just the edge of the "rivet". If you look on the CSS side, which the CSS is added to all the NON-SEALING areas of the factory engine (coolant jackets around cylinder) you will see the indentation of the mule side of the "rivet". The rivet is completely flatted and "absorbed" by the CSS.

Again, this is in a non-sealing low area. There are sealing rings that are higher than the flattened "rivet" on the head gasket to seal all the important areas.

Yes, I will agree that there are better solutions but with the factory headgasket being the only option (until recently) this is what we have tested and used for over a year now on engines making 400-650whp.

Anyone that has our engine currently installed in their vehicle and is afraid that this is a problem can easily remove their running, making power with no issues, non-blown headgasket, TUNE+ engine and send it into me (I'll pay the freight). Or you can drive your car down and I will remove the head and install whatever modified headgasket you bring with you, free of charge. But, why pretend fix something that isn't a problem?

Second issue: Ron stating his engine blew a headgasket soon as he got into some load. Actually Ron didn't break his engine in to our recommended process (posted here, and was critiqued), self tuned it, then cracked his block. Again this was discussed in yet another thread of Ron trying to throw us under the bus. He just can't get over the fact that his self-tuned engine cracked on the side. Again it didn't blow a head gasket, it cracked, anyone that wants to look into this can easily look up Ron's old post which had datalogs from his tune and showed conditions for extremely high cylinder pressures which resulted in the head lifting and pulling on the block threads.

So far, to date, all engines that we have shipped out have been installed in vehicles and are running driving, and making power just fine. Only engine to date to have an issue has been Ron Henry's and his was self tuned, and again, I repeat, it did not blow a headgasket it cracked the block from cylinder pressure.

Jason Justi - Made near 600whp on an said engine configuration, made a ton of passes at the track, and going strong to this day.

Josh Beasley - Making over 500whp and is currently the fastest MT Ecoboost Mustang in the world - No Issues and many passes at the track and dyno.

Nathan Bickman - GTX3076R GEN 2 - 30psi, E85, Street Tuned - No issues, running strong.

Ken Compton - Been dailying his car for near 6 months now and has a 9174EFR on his car, with E85, again.. no issues.

The list goes on.... and on....

Another list I would like to keep track of is how many engines Ron is going to go through. First engine, got about 2 days in with the Syvecs and chucked a rod out the side of the block. Second engine, drove perfect, commented on how buttery smooth it was with the cams we installed and such. Got on the dyno 4 pulls later 27psi peak, and 22° timing peak, cracked the block. Sounds like someone needs to stop trying to be different and go with what works....

Last edited:

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I do believe these engines that are sold by tune+ are machined by MAP to Tune+ specs using recommended parts. And unless more people come out with issues that are similar you have to assume it is an isolated incident. I'm sure Adam will chime in sooner rather than later judging by the content of these posts though.

Also, I don't have time to find the link but, there was someone that spent over 15k at MAP for engine upgrades and didn't get anything close to expectations in return. I'm not even sure if he ended up with a 100% running engine. It's been a while but that did happen as well.

People can hate on others for swapping to GTs but at the end of the day, if you pour anything close to 20k into this car performance wise you should get at least 650hp, IMO.
Incorrect. MAP's facility is used but we have our engines built by one of our own.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
From what I've noticed; there aren't too many people happy with these built engines. It's pretty unfortunate because I would have loved to order one.
Oh yea? Who would that be seeing as all engines are accounted for and each customer is surely happy.

Sponsored

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Just FYI, this is a Focus RS customer that is only here to slander my business. Just more for me to document.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Daaaaaaaannnnnnnnng

menaecoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost mustang black PP pack
Another gem from Ron Henry a self proclaimed tuning expert, now an engine building expert. This post is going to address two issues which will be outlined separately.

First Issue: Headgasket retaining rivets (actually not a rivet at all in fact it is a dimple die added to hold the headgasket together) being compressed into the added CSS - Cylinder Support System on our Focus RS and Ecoboost Mustang built engines.

The head side has a small mark from the face side of the retaining rivet, you will notice in the pictures posted that the outline is just the edge of the "rivet". If you look on the CSS side, which the CSS is added to all the NON-SEALING areas of the factory engine (coolant jackets around cylinder) you will see the indentation of the mule side of the "rivet". The rivet is completely flatted and "absorbed" by the CSS.

Again, this is in a non-sealing low area. There are sealing rings that are higher than the flattened "rivet" on the head gasket to seal all the important areas.

Yes, I will agree that there are better solutions but with the factory headgasket being the only option (until recently) this is what we have tested and used for over a year now on engines making 400-650whp.

Anyone that has our engine currently installed in their vehicle and is afraid that this is a problem can easily remove their running, making power with no issues, non-blown headgasket, TUNE+ engine and send it into me (I'll pay the freight). Or you can drive your car down and I will remove the head and install whatever modified headgasket you bring with you, free of charge. But, why pretend fix something that isn't a problem?

Second issue: Ron stating his engine blew a headgasket soon as he got into some load. Actually Ron didn't break his engine in to our recommended process (posted here, and was critiqued), self tuned it, then cracked his block. Again this was discussed in yet another thread of Ron trying to throw us under the bus. He just can't get over the fact that his self-tuned engine cracked on the side. Again it didn't blow a head gasket, it cracked, anyone that wants to look into this can easily look up Ron's old post which had datalogs from his tune and showed conditions for extremely high cylinder pressures which resulted in the head lifting and pulling on the block threads.

So far, to date, all engines that we have shipped out have been installed in vehicles and are running driving, and making power just fine. Only engine to date to have an issue has been Ron Henry's and his was self tuned, and again, I repeat, it did not blow a headgasket it cracked the block from cylinder pressure.

Jason Justi - Made near 600whp on an said engine configuration, made a ton of passes at the track, and going strong to this day.

Josh Beasley - Making over 500whp and is currently the fastest MT Ecoboost Mustang in the world - No Issues and many passes at the track and dyno.

Nathan Bickman - GTX3076R GEN 2 - 30psi, E85, Street Tuned - No issues, running strong.

Ken Compton - Been dailying his car for near 6 months now and has a 9174EFR on his car, with E85, again.. no issues.

The list goes on.... and on....

Another list I would like to keep track of is how many engines Ron is going to go through. First engine, got about 2 days in with the Syvecs and chucked a rod out the side of the block. Second engine, drove perfect, commented on how buttery smooth it was with the cams we installed and such. Got on the dyno 4 pulls later 27psi peak, and 22° timing peak, cracked the block. Sounds like someone needs to stop trying to be different and go with what works....
self tuned.. lost some credibilty with that move.

nolezack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM Performance Pack
:popcorn:

Well that escalated quickly.. lol.

JSCOTT0812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Oh yea? Who would that be seeing as all engines are accounted for and each customer is surely happy.
I wasn't only referring to your engines Adam. By "these engines" I meant built engines and experiences with companies like MAP.

Ken Compton's experience with MAP (https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordMustangEcoBoost/permalink/1146008175444589/) was a very expensive one that didn't yield the results that were expected if I remember correctly? I know you got him taken care of though...

As for Nathan's build, he is once again pouring more money into it to get to get to the numbers he was told he would have by getting the engine, fueling, and other upgrades from you.

I can't really speak too much for the others you listed other than the misc. problems I saw along the way. In fact, I said that the OP has to assume that it is an isolated incident with regards to the "problems" he noted with his engine.

And I apologize for assuming that your builds are put together by MAP. I should have said machined and assembled AT MAP, I guess. When I called them about a month ago to get more information on the services they could offer they were a pretty close match to those laid out on your website so I made that assumption.

I won't be posting anymore on this, for it does not contribute to the thread but I did want to add some clarity to my original post.
Sponsored