XPEL, 3M, Other PPF, NO PPF, CQuartz???

How will you be protecting your GT350?

• XPEL PPF

Votes: 95 46.3%
  • 3M PPF

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Other PPF

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • No PPF (Natural paint - protected with traditional wax or polymer)

Votes: 49 23.9%
  • CQuartz or other ceramic type paint sealants (please specify)

Votes: 49 23.9%

• Total voters

derand

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.derand.com
First Name
Derand
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, C8, R8 V10 Gated, Golf R APR, 19 GT350
Thanks Jayson! Ah, yes, haha. I guess I forgot to mention what they actually covered. This is what I got done. According to the installer, this will avoid most chips. He said, out of all his clients the only ones who do the entire car are the ones who track like every weekend. You can't see any seems in those pics. I know where the seems are and I can't see them. The rear fender seem goes from the door handle body chine and angles down to the fender.

16' Ford GT350R - Complete Headlights
16' Ford GT350R - Complete Hood
16' Ford GT350R - Complete Front Fenders
16' Ford GT350R - Front Bumper
16' Ford GT350R - Complete Rockers
16' Ford GT350R - Lower Doors
16' Ford GT350R - Partial Rear Fender Impact Area
16' Ford GT350R - Partial Rear Wheel Impact Area

** 3M ProSeries Film **
Great pictures.
Sponsored

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
I was reading through this thread again and am having an installer in St Louis put on Xpel ultimate in a couple of weeks. I plan on having full front bumper and fenders, full hood, backs of side mirrors, head lights, a-pillars, rockers and lower doors and rear quarter behind wheels up to the body seam. Questions: Did any of you have the hood vent removed when doing the hood? Is it hard to take out?
Is there any area that you didn't cover that you now wish you had? Thanks,
Dave

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I'm pretty sure he removed my hood vent and anywhere else he needed to make it look good. I can honestly say the only places I can see seems are some curves around the most extreme bumper curves where he needs to cut the film so it can make the curve and not bunch up and look like poo.

I've never had XPEL, and this is the first time I've had film, but the Pro Series stuff looks and feels amazing. As I said previously, if you can find an installer who's worked with 3M and has his method down, he's prolly gonna like it better. My installer...all his cars are covered with 3M Pro Series. He also charges the same price for both products, and I believe the 3M material is more expensive.

I'm not saying not to get the XPEL, just passing on what info I've gathered.

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
for anyone else considering this, I had the same dilemma. I did Xpel from the windshield forward, mirrors, and areas behind the tires. The installer cut the xpel so it goes up to the stripes and between the stripes but not over the stripes. This leaves the stripes unprotected but alleviates any issues caused by xpel over the stripes. If I look from a foot away, I can see a small seam where the xpel stops and the stripes start. I'm certain nobody else will ever notice and I know the car is protected.

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I haven't driven my R enough to know if there are areas I wish I'd covered. It went into storage for the winter 500km after I got it.

I'm still thinking I wished I did the roof, but the guys said not really required.

Sponsored

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
I'm pretty sure he removed my hood vent and anywhere else he needed to make it look good. I can honestly say the only places I can see seems are some curves around the most extreme bumper curves where he needs to cut the film so it can make the curve and not bunch up and look like poo.

I've never had XPEL, and this is the first time I've had film, but the Pro Series stuff looks and feels amazing. As I said previously, if you can find an installer who's worked with 3M and has his method down, he's prolly gonna like it better. My installer...all his cars are covered with 3M Pro Series. He also charges the same price for both products, and I believe the 3M material is more expensive.

I'm not saying not to get the XPEL, just passing on what info I've gathered.
Thanks - I don't have stripes, so no issues I need to deal with there. The installer is very good. I've used him with other cars and his shop is very good. He does a lot of Corvette's and Porsches, but will work on anything.
http://clearautobra.com/

Praehotec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 mustang, 2017 GT350R
I posted this in the other PPF thread, but I am not sure which thread is more appropriate....I am seeking some advice on PPF. I spoke to two installers near me (both seem well-rated in the Houston area, as far as I can tell).

One of them wants to remove the headlights, air vent coverings, etc. to wrap the coating as seamlessly as possible. They use XPEL.

The other will wrap edges as available, and can remove easily removable areas if possible to wrap, but will likely not remove everything, and just run the PPF up to the edges of the vents, etc.. They use Suntek.

I obviously want the best job possible, but am a little uncomfortable with what sounds (to me) like practically disassembling the exterior of the car. Anyone have any advice or opinions? Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Well, good question and valid concerns. I however can't help at this time as my R is in storage and I'm not 100% sure if things like vents were removed from my car, if he didn't he did an amazing job because I didn't see any noticeable seems. My car comes out the end of April, so I can't update you all if you can wait.

R

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
I posted this in the other PPF thread, but I am not sure which thread is more appropriate....I am seeking some advice on PPF. I spoke to two installers near me (both seem well-rated in the Houston area, as far as I can tell).

One of them wants to remove the headlights, air vent coverings, etc. to wrap the coating as seamlessly as possible. They use XPEL.

The other will wrap edges as available, and can remove easily removable areas if possible to wrap, but will likely not remove everything, and just run the PPF up to the edges of the vents, etc.. They use Suntek.

I obviously want the best job possible, but am a little uncomfortable with what sounds (to me) like practically disassembling the exterior of the car. Anyone have any advice or opinions? Thanks in advance!
anytime the factory "items" are removed than that quality factory install and seal is gone. i am not a fan of letting a detailer or PPF installer remove parts from my performance car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Yup, this is my original thread. Got 3M Pro Series on my 2017 and it has held up remarkably well. It has saved my paint multiple times from rock chips to flying soda cans on the highway (literally).

Full front hood and fenders, bumper, rocker panel, partial back quarter panels (impact area in front of the back wheels) — this area has many impacts highly recommended.

I will get people arguing with me but I’ve come to the conclusion that people who tell you not to get PPF have never had it or have had someone do a shitty job. I just bought a golf r for a daily driver (and for winter driving) and yes, it’s going straight to the ppf guy before I even drive it.

Just find someone good and not crazy expensive (the prices can get insane)

Watch this savagegeese video it’s quite amazing to watch these guys work. Trust me when it’s done right it’s better than new. It adds a depth that’s hard to describe other than it looks like your car is fluid.

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Oh, I also have cQuartz Finest on top of the paint where there’s no film and on top of the film.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had Xpel on my GT350 in the high impact areas. If I had it to do again I would do the entire car... or at least more of it. The rear quarters in front of the rear tires is the area that got hit the worst that I didn't protect the first time around. The other thing is I would prefer to have larger panels fully covered rather than partial coverage because then the edges of the film would be less obvious.

OP
OP
CanadianHorseMan

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
I had Xpel on my GT350 in the high impact areas. If I had it to do again I would do the entire car... or at least more of it. The rear quarters in front of the rear tires is the area that got hit the worst that I didn't protect the first time around. The other thing is I would prefer to have larger panels fully covered rather than partial coverage because then the edges of the film would be less obvious.
Yup. Toatally agree. Rear quarters in front of the rear wheel are the worst by far. I'd say even worse than the front bumper (unless you often tailgate or track your car within close proximity to the driver in front).

I would never do partial hood or partial front fenders...doesn't really look great and it will always be the spot where you didn't cover that gets the chip.

Get someone experienced and they will know what to cover. All chips on my car have hit the PPF except one just above one of the rear wheels (where its not covered) -- very small and was probably thrown up from someone passing me.

R