Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
So I've been out of town all week and get back to the airport at 11:00 pm to find about 10 inches of snow on my car. That's funny there wasn't any snow when I got there. Imagine that. The airport parking lot had been plowed and thankfully they didn't get within 3 feet of my car. I know this because that's how far the snow was still intact behind my bumper. So I'm thinking I got this. Just back out of the space once I got the windows cleared off enough to drive.

I should mention it was 4 degrees F (that's minus 16 C for you metric guys) at the time I got to the car. Apparently it had thawed a little after it snowed and then refroze as the area where my wipers are at is a solid block of ice from the end of the hood to the windshield. They're encased in there somewhere. No telling when they'll be available for use. :shrug:

Back to the original topic. I eased the car into reverse and gingerly let out the clutch. Movement. Awesome this'll be easy. I made it part of the way and then there was this large chunk of ice, that had obviously fallen off my car sometime during the week, under the snow that halted rearward progress. So I pulled forward and gave it a little oomph going back again. Hit the ice. Dead stop. Bummer.

So I get out of the car and start trying to kick the chunk of ice loose from the ground. Yeah that didn't go as planned. I didn't break a toe but it sure felt like it for a minute. :frusty: So at this point I realized using my heel would be a better (smarter) idea. It sort of worked.

Back in the car I am confident I'll be on my way home momentarily. No this time I got a little further but then it just started spinning. Bear in mind this is on completely flat ground. So I put it in snow mode and try again. No difference. In fact once it starts spinning and the traction control kicks in all progress stops. Hmm. So I put it in track mode and turn off the traction control. Now were getting somewhere. Until we aren't and were just spinning again.:headbonk: I decided to just leave it in gear and let the clutch out, no throttle, in reverse. It just idled and spun. No drama, no movement. Amusing as this was I eventually got bored with it. I decided to take stock in my progress and exited the car again to check. I'd made it roughly 29 inches (about 73 cm in the metric system) from my starting point.

At this point I pull as far forward as I can and try to use momentum to carry me across it. No not happening. Spinning again. Only this time I got far enough that now I can't go forward at all. I should mention I used my foot to clear as much of the snow out of the way as I could prior to attempting this foolish game. No, my car was stranded by a patch of snow and ice an inch thick and 7 feet long. I tend to find these things hilarious because I'm probably not right in the head, and so I was laughing at myself when the parking lot toll guy came over to see what all the commotion was about. Or more likely, to laugh with (at) me.

I suggested that he could push on the front of the car because, honestly, I think the car could have been pushed with the e-brake on there was so little traction. So he did that, I poured the coal to it and about 20 seconds later I was on dry pavement for the first time today. :cheers:

The whole event took about 40 minutes but that included the time spent warming the car, and me, up to clear the windows.

I have heard the horror stories about these tires and cold weather. But I grew up in the snow, learned to drive in it, and have always driven my summer tired cars in it. Slowly for sure, but safely nonetheless. These opened my eyes to a whole new level of snow incompetence. I honestly, despite all the complaints I've heard, never would have dreamed they could be this bad. :crazy:

So there you have another testament to the Pzero. (zero is for the actual level of traction in winter conditions)

BTW, I still love my car.
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Heard the whole east coast got hit really hard. I used to live in the New England area I remember the winters, but apparently this is even worse, my cousin sent me a photo of his door hing they were frozen solid !

Those P Zero tires are not meant for the snow let alone that cold of weather, definitely recommend snow tires

OP
OP
Dirtleg

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I was at the Roanoke airport. I missed the storm as I was in Idaho all week working. It was sunny and warm up there.

And about the snow tires, I agree completely, but this is the first snow I personally have seen in 2 years. (travel for work in winter quite often) And I wasn't actually here for it, just the aftermath which isn't melting like it normally does. When I get a new set of wheels I'll put some all season tires on these and run them in winter. We typically just get a lot of cold here not much snow.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Yeah I was at the Roanoke airport. I missed the storm as I was in Idaho all week working. It was sunny and warm up there.

And about the snow tires, I agree completely, but this is the first snow I personally have seen in 2 years. (travel for work in winter quite often) And I wasn't actually here for it, just the aftermath which isn't melting like it normally does. When I get a new set of wheels I'll put some all season tires on these and run them in winter. We typically just get a lot of cold here not much snow.
ya its the colder weather which isnt allowing it to melt its weird as hell, I mean my 50 some odd old cousin was telling a few days ago he hasnt felt this type of cold in years in MA.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dirtleg

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
It's definitely cold right now. Overall this winter hasn't been as cold as last. Last year I saw an indicated -7 on my truck outdoor temp when I was four wheeling in the snow. The next day I noticed the chrome on the grill had delaminated from the plastic. I parked in my shop which was about 55 degrees and the rapid temperature change had apparently been too much.
Oh well I only have to deal with it till Monday. Off to Mexico for 10 days.

derieuz

The Young Fella'
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
They are summer tires and they warn you not to use them below temperatures of like 45 degrees F. You are like 50 degrees below their operating temperature, you are essentially driving on rocks right now.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Complaining about an aggressive summer compound in the snow is like complaining about a set of boxer briefs not keeping you warm in the North pole...

Nihil

Cowabunga
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Grey Goop
Dirtleg and Koncealed I live in-between you guys, am in Roanoke. And yeah, winter tires are what you need for winter although with this hard ice on the secondary roads nothing helps really unless chains.

grecoan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT performance package
Yea I bought a set of Michelin Alpin winters work great in the winter. My summers that I had first 38 degree day I was fishtailing everywhere put the winter tires on had no problem and I live in NJ were getting killed with this cold weather. Worth the investment.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dirtleg

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I really need to get the transmission in my 07' swapped out so I can drive it. It's got some Nitto all-season tires on it and I have driven it in 4-5" of snow without issue. I just haven't been home to fix it. I have everything on hand except time right now.

And Oppolock I agree with your comment. I guess there was a bit of complaining in there but truthfully I was amused with the whole situation more than anything else.

Nihil when the weather warms up we should get a group together. Maybe do a drive on VA 16 between Marion and Tazewell. Just a thought. Or the parkway. That's always easily accessible.

hojos1014

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samantha
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY Premium
Nihil when the weather warms up we should get a group together. Maybe do a drive on VA 16 between Marion and Tazewell. Just a thought. Or the parkway. That's always easily accessible.
I'm a little north of you guys in Grottoes (small town close to Harrisonburg) but would love to meet up when it gets warmer....

And I had a similar experience this week with the summer tires...Just wanted to move the car in the driveway and have been unable to, due to ice/snow that's lingering underneath 3 of the tires...Won't go more than a few inches...And very bizarre, since everything's melted under tires of other vehicles in driveway but for some reason it's stayed under Mustang tires...

OP
OP
Dirtleg

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I'm a little north of you guys in Grottoes (small town close to Harrisonburg) but would love to meet up when it gets warmer....

And I had a similar experience this week with the summer tires...Just wanted to move the car in the driveway and have been unable to, due to ice/snow that's lingering underneath 3 of the tires...Won't go more than a few inches...And very bizarre, since everything's melted under tires of other vehicles in driveway but for some reason it's stayed under Mustang tires...
Yes we definitely should all meet up on a nice, warm day. There's plenty of good roads up your way too. 33 out of Harrisonburg into WV is an awesome road right near the state line.

Funny about the ice melting everywhere but under your Mustang. I feel your pain. Are you guys supposed to get more snow tomorrow as well?

hojos1014

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samantha
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT TY Premium
Yes we definitely should all meet up on a nice, warm day. There's plenty of good roads up your way too. 33 out of Harrisonburg into WV is an awesome road right near the state line.

Funny about the ice melting everywhere but under your Mustang. I feel your pain. Are you guys supposed to get more snow tomorrow as well?
Haven't been out that way in a while....Hubby has motorcycle he loves to drive over to Monterey/Highland County - taking 250 W thru Churchville...It's a good ride - several mountains to go over and PLENTY of curves. I can't ride it in the dark as a car passenger - makes me sick every time.

And it's seriously the weirdest thing with the ice/snow under the Mustang...Hubby's Fox is less than 6 feet in front of 2015 (nicknamed Helios for Greek Sun God) and doesn't have a bit of snow/ice under it and either does the Dodge Ram like 10 feet in front of it. 3 patches of snow/ice - each less than inch thick and no more than 1-2' in length are keeping me from moving it.

And yes, supposed to get something tomorrow - UGH. Totally conflicting reports from various weather people...2 out of 3 say snow (3-6" or 8-10") plus sleet/ice....But near 50 on Sunday and rain so I'm hoping it all melts and I can move AND take Helios out for drive....

We got caught last Saturday in a snow squall on Afton in Helios..Probably the scarest driving experience I've ever had in my life...Couldn't see a darn thing with the wind blowing the snow...We ran into snow on 64 before got to the mountain and could see okay...Decided to go ahead and get off at normal exit at top to come down 250 to get on 340 to go home....As soon as got off, wind shifted and couldn't see but like an inch in front of the car...Put it in the snow/wet mode when got on 340 and it did really well - I was surprised how much it killed the power...Tires did fine.
Sponsored