Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
So I had a track day at Pitt Race this weekend. When the track was dry, and I was pushing hard, coming out of a hard (1.1-1.33G) left hander, transitioning to a short straight, then a right, the RPM would hold at 6K exactly in third gear with my foot to the floor. Traction/Advancetrac settings had no effect, even in full off, and fuel was at 3/4 tank.

Does anyone have any ideas what may cause this?

I ended up being faster all day in these two spots by short shifting to 4th anyways, but I hope I'm not hurting the motor.

After my new job gets sorted, I'm going tune plus, so next time it happens its getting datalogged.
Sponsored

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Manual - shift with the weird lever thing in the middle of the car. :lol:

Auto - It is in the tune, needs to be adjusted.

dsabat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
That sounds scary. Does it feel like timing is being pulled? I have no idea what sort of limiters might come into play when the fuel pressure drops, or oil pressure drops. Is your oil system stock?

J_MENIS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I had a similar problem, when I take off from first and shift into second my rpms were holding around 5k-6k. I'm tuned with Adam, and it did take a few revisions but he got it back to normal. Definitely someone you want to work with. And if your auto I'd look into his trans tune, my MPG seemed to go up, shifts real fast in S. And seemed to get rid of the dead/sluggish travel space when you step on the gas.

OP
OP

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
That sounds scary. Does it feel like timing is being pulled? I have no idea what sort of limiters might come into play when the fuel pressure drops, or oil pressure drops. Is your oil system stock?
It felt like the throttle body closed, no misfire or anything, just the car wouldn't rev any higher.

And the car is a manual. So adam, you are saying 6K is the new rev limit and I just need to short shift all the time?

Sponsored

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
It felt like the throttle body closed, no misfire or anything, just the car wouldn't rev any higher.

And the car is a manual. So adam, you are saying 6K is the new rev limit and I just need to short shift all the time?

It was probably more like 6500-6600 not 6K I imagine it's hard to see where it is holding. The throttle initiates a close for Rev limiter at 6600ish and you should really start to feel it lose power at 6800 which is were the Rev limiter is set.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I'm guessing that our cars are throttle by wire (like most modern cars), so it's not the throttle butterfly getting jammed by the cable actuator? :confused:

Is there anything gumming up the throttle butterfly? WD-40 might do wonders here...:thumbsup:

EDIT: disregard. I read this as the engine was stuck at 6K rpm...

EnFOURcer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.turbosmartusa.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecostang, 2015 5.0, 2007 GT500, 2014 Tremor
I have tracked my car and I also could tell the throttle was closing when the rear end would unload in a bumpy tight right-hand corner.
I did NOT have the Advanced traction control turned off and equate it to the traction control being very aggressive.

OP
OP

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
It was probably more like 6500-6600 not 6K I imagine it's hard to see where it is holding. The throttle initiates a close for Rev limiter at 6600ish and you should really start to feel it lose power at 6800 which is were the Rev limiter is set.
I have tracked my car and I also could tell the throttle was closing when the rear end would unload in a bumpy tight right-hand corner.
I did NOT have the Advanced traction control turned off and equate it to the traction control being very aggressive.
Yea, it was definitely like it was stuck at 6K exactly. I looked down repeatedly thinking, why aren't you going any further.

Advance trac was full off, but from what I am hearing, that may not be a real thing. Some of the other track guys will burn up rear pads even in full off. When it was raining, it would do the same thing in sport mode, same corner. It may be the advance trac, even with it off.

Adam, when I get my accessport and lifetime tunes from you, I'll try to datalog it.

May have caught it in the videos, but I couldn't really tell. Anyways, its an ecoboost and still tore it up at the track so here they are.
[ame]
[ame]

dsabat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Damn fine job! Love these videos. You will love the car even more with a reflash.

I need to do this, what tires are you running? Is your suspension all stock?

Dean

Sponsored
OP
OP

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Steeda linear with ford track pack shocks. Stock PP pirelli's with carbotech xp-10 pads front and rear.
intake, exhaust, map intercooler and mishi oil cooler.

dsabat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Great, I have a spare set of OEM wheels with new Pirellis. My car has a CPE intercooler, flash, and catted downpipe.

For a first-time track day driver, do you recommend any suspension or brake changes?

Thanks, and hope you figure out the hanging RPM issue.

Dean

OP
OP

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
First time, you should be fine on stock brake pads. Be sure to bleed the brakes with fresh fluid before hand.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
First time, you should be fine on stock brake pads. Be sure to bleed the brakes with fresh fluid before hand.
I would add that if your changing the brake fluid, use Motul RBF 600, i was at the track monday and after 4 laps with 22 turns per lap, my brake fluid didnt make it through the 6th session.

dsabat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I appreciate the tips gentlemen. I will do some research and check, but I'm assuming that I can just pump out the OEM fluid and keep topping off the res with the new stuff. Most of my experience is with motorcycles, this is my first sportscar.
Sponsored