Sponsored

Worth Buying?

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a mustang and this 2016 Ford Mustang V6 came across and I wanted to get some feedback and opinions.

I am trading in a 2014 Ford Fusion with just over 20k miles and this dealer has a 2016 Mustang with 15k miles for $17,700. It is the base model, cosmetic condition is nice and I will only have to pay $5,200 out the door.

The catch? It has been buyback car and has a lemon stamp on the title. I looked at the warranty claims and saw that the owner took it in twice because the car would die all of sudden. Ford replaced the TCB and put it back for sale. The car threw the code P2112.

I put a refundable $500 deposit so I can always back out but I thought I would get some input from you guys on what to do and even if it is worth it. I drove it for a good 20 minutes and could not find anything wrong with it. They even told me that the original warranties (bumper to bumper and powertrain) still work and that on top of that, the dealer would give me another warranty of 12k/12 months and if the car ever breaks down they would give me a brand new (:confused:)

Is it a good buy? Thanks!
Sponsored

Muff Muff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT PP
Don't do it. It was someone else's problem, don't make it yours.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
nope

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hard pass. At least in my area, brand new 2017 V6s are going for $20k

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
No, not worth it. Besides the V6 having bad resale value as is, a branded title V6 would be abysmally low.

Sponsored

OP
OP

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Thank you guys for the responses. I will go ahead and cancel the deal. I will have to keep searching then!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Pass for 2 reasons:

1) It's a Lemon and will always be one; you'll have a hard time trying to sell in the future as well.

2) No offense to V6 owners, but Ford has dropped the platform. It does not mean the V6 is problematic, it just means Ford saw more sales in the V8 & EcoBoost product lines. Could it be more costly for future repairs due to less support, possibly but hard to say now (unless Ford brings it back in EB form). And yes, if Ford dropped the EcoBoost 4, I'd say the same.

Rob00GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Ragtop
I think you should totally buy this car. Sometimes experience is the best teacher, and since you know it's a lemon going in and still put down a deposit you might could use a strong dose of experience.

Weasel1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Me personally, I would never buy a lemon law vehicle.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Kinda high for a used one with 15k anyways?

I would just keep looking there are a ton of cars out there to take on an ex lemon.

Sponsored

RedRyan98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a mustang and this 2016 Ford Mustang V6 came across and I wanted to get some feedback and opinions.

I am trading in a 2014 Ford Fusion with just over 20k miles and this dealer has a 2016 Mustang with 15k miles for $17,700. It is the base model, cosmetic condition is nice and I will only have to pay $5,200 out the door.

The catch? It has been buyback car and has a lemon stamp on the title. I looked at the warranty claims and saw that the owner took it in twice because the car would die all of sudden. Ford replaced the TCB and put it back for sale. The car threw the code P2112.

I put a refundable $500 deposit so I can always back out but I thought I would get some input from you guys on what to do and even if it is worth it. I drove it for a good 20 minutes and could not find anything wrong with it. They even told me that the original warranties (bumper to bumper and powertrain) still work and that on top of that, the dealer would give me another warranty of 12k/12 months and if the car ever breaks down they would give me a brand new (:confused:)

Is it a good buy? Thanks!
If that is actually true, and you can get it in writing with no exceptions, than what do you have to lose? If you are reasonably confident the car is in good shape and is covered if you ever have any issues than I think it might be worth the gamble. If you could get it for closer to 4k out the door, than I'd give it a shot.

For what its worth, I really like my V6. I paid 18,500 for my 2015, private party with 18k miles on it. I was upset that I overpaid a bit but at this point I don't care and am loving the car. Great compromise between the efficiency of the ecoboost and sound of the V8. Plenty quick for me and they are supposed to be pretty reliable. The only real large issue I've read about recently (that covers all models) is the AC evaporator core failures. You definitely want to have a warranty that will cover that for as long as you can. Otherwise, assuming the issue with the car you're look at has been fixed it should be pretty reliable.

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Brand NEW EcoBoost for 19K

So I wouldn't pay damn near 18K for a new V6, let alone a used lemon law one with 15k on the clock!

I would ask the dealer if a reach around was included as part of the deal.

Edit: Here is the KBB value on a V6 in good Condition $17.4k

A lemon law title is NOT considered to be in good condition!

Grabber By The Bluesy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Mustang GT Premium
I've seen new v6s in the 19 to 20k range so i'd say hard hard pass on that one.
Sponsored