Sponsored

wont start after running out of gas

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
I made the mistake of completely starving the engine of fuel. I was in the process of converting back to pump gas from e85 and I let is run dry. I then put in about 3 gallons (and later on added another 5 gallons, so we are at about half a tank currently) of 93 loaded my stock tune and am now unable to get the engine running. I did the whole pump the key method, I have also tried it on Lunds 93 tune and also the flex tune all with the same result. is there a fuel Schrader valve on these engines near the fuel rail? Also, I've read about a fuel pump reset switch in the trunk but I see no switch back there. I hear what I imagine is the fuel pump running when I pump the key.
Any info on this?
2019 mustang 5.0 Auto trans
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
If it is air locked you could disconnect the fuel line at the rail and cycle the ign till you get fuel spraying out of the line. I would hook a hose and a milk jug or something else to catch the fuel.

Another method is to open the fuel lines and use a dishsoap container and squirt some fuel into the rails. I would actually do both.

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT
How about starter fluid?

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
The car will run on starter fluid. But only on that so just runs for a second or two.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The car will run on starter fluid. But only on that so just runs for a second or two.
Sounds like your low pressure fuel pump picked that moment to die when it ran out of fuel. If you have a decent scan tool you can see what the fuel pressure is.

Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Sounds like your low pressure fuel pump picked that moment to die when it ran out of fuel. If you have a decent scan tool you can see what the fuel pressure is.
I was just going to ask about the fuel pump myself.
OP can you hear the fuel pump priming or anything? Checked for bad fuses?

OP
OP

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
I can hear the fuel pump priming soni assuming it's working. Early on in my attempts to get it to start the fuel rail pressure was very high (2000+ psi). But I believe in my last several attempts it was reading very low. I'm not sure what it would read.it the system has air in it. I have yet to attempt to bleed the fuel rails.

Anyone alhave any advice on where to do this from? Looking at the rails I don't see an obvious spot to detach and bleed from. I assume ide need to do both sides.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
If I'm not mistaken you have 2 fuel pumps, a low pressure pump in the tank that feeds a high pressure pump that's mounted on the engine. The high pressure pump is what creates the 2,000 pounds of pressure for the direct injection. Both pumps have to work to get fuel pressure. The system should bleed itself when you attempt to start the engine a few times. If the pump in the tank sounds like its running, you may have a bad high pressure pump.......
Sponsored