Sponsored

Won't be driving the Mach 1 for a very long time.

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
My wife and I both sold our bikes almost 20 years ago. Cell phones were nearly killing us every time we rode.
A buddy of mine and his gal were hit on their bike and he lost a leg below the knee and she lost a foot. He was surprised she broke up with him and another friend reminded him that she lost her foot.
Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
So, the Mach 1 is not getting driven now for some time due to an accident.

Luckily, the accident was not in the Mach 1.

Unluckily it was on the motorcycle.

Luckily I lived, and was not my fault.

Unluckily, I Cannot walk for 3-6 months, with an unknown lvl of permanent loss of function at this time.

Luckily, my 86 Bronco is an auto, that I should be able to left foot drive and place my broken side (right) into the center console area since there is that big open area in center below dash, just the T-Case lever there.

Ankle currently has a X-Fix on it. I can place a pic of mine, or you can just good 'ankle x fix' for an idea. this is for a couple of weeks until another surgery, and at that point they will have a slight idea on what my capabilities afterwards will be, and how long to get there.

Bike is totaled, I've spent 6 days in hospital so far, another few coming up with second surgery.

I am going to get the car professionally detailed, then have it brought to my dad's house and put it in his garage. Do need to find the historical flood level there (new construction) and make sure it is well above that.

Not sure if I will ride again. or at least before the kid is out of the house. I want to, but this puts into how close even a 'minor' low speed accident can be to being fatal. I flew over the cars hood and hit my head on landing. also nearly broke my other ankle and both wrists. they're still very difficult to use with minor hairline fractures and massive bruising. entire left calf is bruised.
So glad you are still alive my hope is you have full and speedy recovery. You will be in my prayers. Tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us. I'm in the hospital with pneumonia really bad when I get out and I have to have my esphogas removed due to esphogeal cancer it will be at least a year before I'm healthy again but even with that going on I feel blessed my friend had this same disease 30 years ago and died cause they didn't have the technology back then to save him. You are going to be whole again God willing and you will be stronger for having been through this. I will keep you in my prayers be strong brother.

Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Damn Jimmy I’m just now seeing this. As mentioned I remember what you went through getting yours. Been a while, what’s the update on your recovery ?

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
edited to remove rant.

Im doing better, slowly.

Last edited:

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
So, I 'walked' (limped) half a mile last week with a cane, down and back on the Fairhope Pier (fairhope alabama). I use a cane every day atm. luckily with my job and current apartment, I am less than 2 blocks from work, so I use my wheelchair to get to the office and back. in the office I try to walk as much as possible, using the cane.

gotten to the point that I only use the wheelchair on the way to and from the office, and a little bit inside the apartment (as in to sit at the PC).

I can go about 6 feet without the cane. unless I've been drinking. pain and total movement are the issues. specifically, pain when moving foward on the busted ankle. I cannot bend it 'up'? I guess you would say. i.e. I Cannot crouch using that ankle, have little to no movement in that direction. which is a huge fucking problem. cannot run, cannot walk without aid, cannot balance on one foot. other direcections there is some limited movement, but im a t like 75% movement in those directions compared to my left ankle. but trying to pull my toes 'up' I am only at 5-10% of movement. which is disastrous. outcome is not good long term without a few surgeries in the next year.

I cannot go into the refinery right now, I am not able to evacuate an area if an issue arises. I cannot drive yet, hope that changes within a couple of weeks, but i'll be limited to driving the 86 bronco, it has very soft pedals. I doubt I can drive the mach 1 for a while. pedals are just too stiff.

I am at a very rough and bad point at the moment. noone (the ortho docs) will commit to saying i'll be able to walk or run or lift or do jack shit in the future. I've considered selling all the cars and trucks, as there is a fairly decent chance I'll never be able to comfortably drive them again. Which is fucking with me bad, I live for my cars and trucks. they are what drives me. I havent turned a wrench in almost 5 months now. nor fished/hunted. And I am not sure when that will change. I'm considering having it chopped off this winter if things have not improved enough. Docs have all said no, they won't do it. I am too young (41) and I can still 'walk', its not to the point of it having to be fused. But I am getting debilitating pain throughout the day. difficult to deal with, especially since I pretty much refuse to take so much as Tylenol unless things are BAD. I took some tylenol this last weekend, but only because I was 'walking' with the cane exclusivaly all weekend, up and down stairs, down the pier, etc.

if interested, I had a trimalleolar pillon fracture type 2. Best I can tell, one of, if not the, worst 'recoverable' fractures possible. 2 plates, 13 screws. my right ankle looks horrific. it is significantly distorted as compared to my left. almost an inch wider across the ankle. I cannot wear any of my boots (also another one of my 'things' that I collected/did) my alligators, stingrays, ostriches, all sitting off to the side collecting dust. won't ever be able to wear them again regardless without modifying them......will have to put zippers down the side of the right foot boots. Doc said I'll never be able to put on and pull off a boot again. I am not wearing New Balances, which I only had before as a joke since I was coaching my sons soccer team....again...something I cannot do again. I was also his scout leader.....not sure how thats going to play out in the future.

I cannot turn on my right ankle. which is a pita since after years of military service it is instinctual to only turn on my right foot. it is almost a daily issue I cause myself a lot of pain due to that.

I have potentially two more surgeries in the next year. And then have to decide if lopping it off and going with prosthetics is a better option.

All this while I am supposed to be packing up my 3 acre property this fall to move. I can only walk with one hand free, one on a cane. And can only do that and carry a couple of pounds at a time. not move a fucking farm. I have no idea how in the hell that is going to happen. Do I ask my 65 year old dad to handle my responsibilities? It is supposed to be quite the opposite at this point in life, where I help take care of him, not the other way around. can't work my normal hours, losing out on about 3k a month due to that. Can't work around the house I need to sell, that is going to cost a lot to pay folks to do it.

I haven't even seen my car in 3 months now. I have had my dad drive it a few times. I have to get my 86 Bronco towed to a shop next week to get it running in case I get released for driving soon. Work I would love to do myself. The entire reason I drive old stuff. swap out carbs, run new fuel lines, replace ignition system, etc. Things that make life worth living as far as I am concerned.
Al,
I’m sorry the road to recovery is not what you expected or wanted. The not knowing is also putting additional stress on you making the whole situation worse.
I do wish you the best in recovery, and you are able to swap a carb, turn wrenches, and drive your beloved cars.
Continue fighting Al, it’s easy for me to be a cheerleader as I’m not in your position, but I truly hope you keep making strides and you can enjoy your vehicles and the outdoors.

You went through a lot getting your Mach, I would hold on to it as long as you can, and your body with permit. Thanks for keeping us updated .
Anthony

Last edited:

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Al,
Please hang in there! It shouldn't be in your DNA to quit which I think deep down inside you will continue to push forward to prove to those doctors that this will not defeat you. We are pulling for you!!! Time heals! You got this so kick this shit in the ass!

We are here for you so keep us in the loop on your progress. You got this! Godspeed!

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Do your best to stay positive as difficult as that may be. Pain and limited mobility can stress your thought process. I went through a similar situation where I couldn’t walk for 3 months and the mental stress started taking a toll on me. We had just moved into a rental home while our new home was being built and all I could do was watch from the car while the wife went in and took pictures for me, it’s a 2 story and I’m thinking how the hell will I be able to get upstairs. By time the house was finished I was able to gimp around but still mentally unstable and overwhelmed with how my life would move forward mobility wise. Then add into this my love of cars like you and the mind starts to wander. Not knowing the outcome of my mobility I followed through with the Mach 1 order, manual at that and it was my left ankle 🤦🏻‍♂️. I ordered the HP with intentions on tracking the car and it wasn’t a daily driver. Well after the first month of driving the car I thought I made a huge mistake, pain started coming back and it was difficult driving on the street let alone thinking I could track the car. Anyway I barely drove it the remainder of last year and considered trading or selling for an auto but I decided if I can’t track it I would just enjoy the best I can.

By no means am I taking anything away from your situation, I only wanted to share with you something similar I went through hoping that would help you stay positive regardless of the unknown at this point. I truly wish you the best recovery and you seem to be strong willed and you will find a way to adapt to your situation.

Sponsored

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
These days drivers blow through red lights with abandon. Almost as if they had a subconcious death wish given the very low chance of successfully getting through their red light.
Nonetheless most people have no understanding of what odds even mean, much less applying them to achieving success in any particular endeavor.

I never move through a light immediately when it turns green. I have to specifically wait until I see that the coast is clear. The advantage of driving one of my high powered cars is that I can accelerate out of an impending problem and/or brake in a much shorter distance than regular vehicles. Funny how many non-car people automatically assume that high powered and great handling/braking cars are "more dangerous". Lots of car characteristics that they do not understand.

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
These days drivers blow through red lights with abandon. Almost as if they had a subconcious death wish given the very low chance of successfully getting through their red light.
Nonetheless most people have no understanding of what odds even mean, much less applying them to achieving success in any particular endeavor.

When it comes to bikes many riders don't seem to appreciate that they are harder for car drivers to see because of their smaller size and ability to move around quickly. Plus, too many weave through traffic left and right very quickly in comparison to cars, as well as passing on the right.
These bike movements through traffic greatly increase their odds of being hit.

I never move through a light immediately when it turns green. I have to specifically wait until I see that the coast is clear. The advantage of driving one of my high powered cars is that I can accelerate out of an impending problem and/or brake in a much shorter distance than regular vehicles. Funny how many non-car people automatically assume that high powered and great handling/braking cars are "more dangerous". Lots of car characteristics that they do not understand.

OP
OP

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),

I wasn't even at a light. I was on a straight road. he pulled out in front of a box truck to my right, I did not even know there was a road there.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hang in there, sending positive vibes your way!
Sponsored