Sponsored

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (DGPS) Review

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (DGPS)

Just like my earlier review on Collinte 845, this is a fresh take on an older product.

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 16 oz. (wolfgangcarcare.com)
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 16 oz. (autogeek.net)

IMG-1296.jpg

The Backstory -

Back in the early 2010’s, I went looking for something different to use on my then relatively new FG Falcon XR6. Up until this point, I had been using a variety of Mother’s and Meguiar’s waxes, sticking with what I could find at the local automotive store.

IMG_8987.jpg

At one point, I started using Meguiar’s NXT. Who remembers Meguair’s NXT? The purple branded Tech Wax 2.0 could be had in paste or liquid forms, and there was a specific soap to help maintain with. The soap was nicely scented and produced great suds, but it was hard to measure out due to its gloopy consistency. I never tried the liquid sealant, but I used the paste wax many times. From memory, it was hard work to apply, hard work to buff off. It did produce a shiny and slick surface though. The paste wax has since been discontinued, but the liquid sealant and soap are still available.

nxtpw2.jpg

XR6-08.jpg

I think it's about this point where I started to get deep in the detailing world, and I wanted something more special than what Meguiar’s offered. After trying the Autoglym system for a while, I reached out to a forum sponsor, Waxit, who would go on to suggest using a product called Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant, a product I was told would really suit the darker tones of Sensation blue paintwork. And boy did that suggestion prove valuable, because to this day, DGPS has been the secret sauce for that car.

What Is It and What Does It Do?

Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is a cross-linking polymer paint sealant, which the Wolfgang Concourse Series was originally designed around. Longevity is said to last up to 6 months, anecdotally, that figure is optimistic at best. Having said that, I can get a year out of it on a garage queen. Wolfgang also make note of the anti-static properties DGPS provides, helping to repel dust, dirt and grime.

sep83.jpg

There are a few key reasons why I come back to the product –

- The glossy, wet look it creates. After application, Wolfgang suggest that the “paint looks like a clear glossy coating was just poured over it.”

- The slickness!

- The depth that it adds to paint, enhancing the colour beyond its natural state.

- Hydrophobic qualities that rival fancier ceramic coatings.

IMG_1821.jpg

Naturally, paint protection technology has moved on since this product hit the market, including within the Wolfgang’s own portfolio. As such, Deep Gloss Paint Sealant is hardly the last word in durability or longevity, be that among newer ceramic coatings or even similar polymer sealants. For use on a daily driver, this is probably not the best choice. For pampered garage queens, this is a truly wonderful paint sealant that delivers supreme gloss, slickness and hydrophobic qualities. And for that reason, I think there is still a place for this product.

Where and How To Use

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant can be used on all painted surfaces. This is another product I would avoid getting on unpainted rubber and plastic trim, it will otherwise stain. And just like Collinite 845, there are few quirks to its application.

This product can be applied to the car by hand or via machine. I prefer to use the machine with a black waxing pad to speed up the process and ensure even coverage, swapping to a small foam hand applicator for intricate areas like the wing mirrors and front bumper.

dec299.jpg

Application -

1 - Wash and decontaminate the car, polish if needed. Follow with an IPA-based prep spray such as Carpro Eraser or Gyeon Prep.

2 - Prime the pad (hand or machine) with a semi-generous amount of product, squeeze or spread to distribute.

3 - Working panel by panel, apply a thin coat to the whole car, reapplying product to the pad as needed. Remember, a little goes a VERY long way.

4 - You then need to be patient, DGPS needs to sit for untouched for 30 to 45 minutes to set up.

5 - After setting, start removing the residue with a microfiber towel, starting where you began the application.

6 - The curing of DGPS is activated by oxygen, so exposure to moisture during the first 12 hours will compromise proper curing and tamper with the long-term durability. So, think ahead.

The end result is a rich colour enhancement with deep reflections and exceptional slickness......................

mmm.jpg

mm.jpg

m.jpg

Tips & Tricks

- Shake the bottle! It’s very important to shake the product prior to and during use as DGPS does tend to settle and separate in storage.

- This applies to most waxes and sealants but it's worth repeating, apply thinly! The pain of trying to plough throw excess sealant is easily avoided.

- I prefer foam applicators for sealants and waxes, but a microfiber applicator can be used if desired. For machine application, choose the softest pad in your system, in my case its usually a ShineMate or Lake Country black foam pad on the lowest speed setting.

- This is another product that’s extremely difficult to remove from your applicator. You will need repeated applications of APC or pad cleaner, running warm water and plenty of patience. All would be forgiven if the pad was simply thrown in the trash!

- The 45-minute wait for DGPS to cure is not as bad as you think. By the time you have applied it to the whole car, cleaned up your pads, removed your taping, its usually ready to be buffed.

- DGPS is best applied and then left undercover for 12 hours, in a garage if possible. This is to limit moisture interference. Otherwise, apply earlier in the day to give the product enough time to cure before dusk and dew sets in.

- After 12 hours, DGPS can layered with a wax, but to be honest, you really don’t need it.

Conclusion

As mentioned in the beginning, Wolfgang DGPS is not the latest and greatest LSP on the market. But it does have a charm, one that is all about tactility. The lustre it brings to the table is truly exceptional, and the ultra-slick feeling the icing on the cake.

I remember a family friend being stunned at how my car looked and beaded water, which was promptly followed by the question of what I was using on it. The person in question had been using DoDo Juice products up to that point, so he knew what he was looking at. If a car guy that's into detailing can ask you that question, then you know you’re onto a winner.

These are some of my most favorite images of the XR6, the way it looked after paint correction and coat of DGPS was pure perfection to me!

dec2916.jpg

dec2915.jpg

feb21161.jpg

Sadly, the Wolfgang brand has been discontinued in Australia. I actually ordered a bottle of the sprayable version of DGPS before the announcement was made, but I was sent a bottle of the original by mistake. As such, I’ll have enough to last me a while. For those in Australia, your only way to replenish stock would be to import it at great expense from the USA.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Hey, D. I don't know if it was from one of your previous posts or another person's, but I knew I had picked up a bottle of DGPS. Went out to the garage and sure enough, there was a brand new bottle.

Obviously, I picked it up and then never tried it. <laughing> I put it out front of all the other stuff and hopefully I WILL remember to give it whirl. <grin>

But the photo of the XR6 after using DGPS is eye popping! THE GLOSS, WOW!

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
It took me a while to get there but this Wolfgang product is my current go-to protectant for all the reasons you mentioned. I had moved up from waxes to ICE and Meguiar's Ultimate which I thought was great but this is the best. I use Lake Country's red foam pad (very soft) with my Porter-Cable polisher set on 2 and apply to the entire car. Most other products would be hard to remove after 30-45 minutes but not this one. It easily wipes off leaving a super slick surface and I do my garage-kept car about every 4-6 months. I've tried Wolfgang's SiO2 sealant but I like DGLS 3.0 better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Anything for a longer-term protection?
You’d be in line for a ceramic coating then. You could split the difference and try Gyeon Can Coat, it’s a ceramic coating “lite”, 12months or thereabouts.

Otherwise, base layer of 845, topped with Reload, they work surprisingly well together.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
You’d be in line for a ceramic coating then. You could split the difference and try Gyeon Can Coat, it’s a ceramic coating “lite”, 12months or thereabouts.

Otherwise, base layer of 845, topped with Reload, they work surprisingly well together.
Yeah it’s the wife’s car and she doesn’t take car of it so it falls on me. I don’t really want to do the expense of ceramic but it also don’t want to be waxing the car every three months lol

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yeah it’s the wife’s car and she doesn’t take car of it so it falls on me. I don’t really want to do the expense of ceramic but it also don’t want to be waxing the car every three months lol
I have really enjoyed the Ethos line of products. Both my car and my wife’s car are coated with it, I use their Cleanse soap for washes and their Finish Shine detail spray makes a great drying aid. Just coated my summer wheels with it a couple weeks ago.

https://ethoscarcare.com/products/graphene-max-coating
Sponsored