Wiring assistance needed

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
I need to find the high beam signal wire, preferably interior side, however, I'm open to other locations.

Reason:
I'm wiring auxiliary lights that are to power on only with my high beams. I need a high beam signal to wire to my relay for this project.

If you have knowledge of where to get access to these car's FSMs (PDFs and/or hard copies) that'd be greatly appreciated too!
Sponsored

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
17 F5 Cobra, 93 Fox race car, 21 Mach 1, 23 F150
I need to find the high beam signal wire, preferably interior side, however, I'm open to other locations.

Reason:
I'm wiring auxiliary lights that are to power on only with my high beams. I need a high beam signal to wire to my relay for this project.

If you have knowledge of where to get access to these car's FSMs (PDFs and/or hard copies) that'd be greatly appreciated too!

First, here's how I got my wiring diagram. Great price cuz if ya need it, ya need it. Same price I found for my 2021.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/354838788980

I can give ya 2021 info, but surely Ford changed it between 2015 and 2021.

Anyways, interior high beam stuff is all computer talk and high speed canbus. Less than 12v, too, so it wont drive a relay.

I'd go the to the headlights or wheelwells and pickup the high beam there. In my 21 schematics manual, its Grey / Brown for the left, Violet / Red for the right. I was able to get to the disconnect in the front wheelwells by removing the front part of the liner.

Confirm these for a 15 before tearing into your car.

PXL_20240211_092941949.MP.jpg
PXL_20240211_092932492.MP.jpg
PXL_20240211_092953300.jpg

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
First, here's how I got my wiring diagram. Great price cuz if ya need it, ya need it. Same price I found for my 2021.

Anyways, interior high beam stuff is all computer talk and high speed canbus. Less than 12v, too, so it wont drive a relay.

I'd go the to the headlights or wheelwells and pickup the high beam there. In my 21 schematics manual, its Grey / Brown for the left, Violet / Red for the right. I was able to get to the disconnect in the front wheelwells by removing the front part of the liner.

Crikey, I forgot about the canbus rubbish🙃 but WOW thanks for the wealth of knowledge! 😃
I'll check it at the lights then, the aux lights I'm mounting will be in the grill space anyway.

I'll be sure to pick up the book too especially since there will certainly be more electronic modding adventures to be had with this car lol
Mine is a 2015

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z

Located it!
The signal is the same colour as your '21
Pretty tight space in there too. Might you know if that wire traces to the engine fuse panel or does it come direct from the computer?

If I have to splice at the headlamp's plug, so be it, I just like to have neatly run looms and an 'undo' option should I want to remove this system... Damn this OCD of mine 🥲

20240215_201518.jpg

20240215_201557.jpg

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
Located it!
The signal is the same colour as your '21
Pretty tight space in there too. Might you know if that wire traces to the engine fuse panel or does it come direct from the computer?

If I have to splice at the headlamp's plug, so be it, I just like to have neatly run looms and an 'undo' option should I want to remove this system... Damn this OCD of mine 🥲
Cool, glad it helped ya.

Those high beam wires only come off the BCM.

Hate to say this, but to run a small harness the way you want, it may be best to remove the bumper cover and then you can work at the front of the car in leisure. It really isnt that tough to remove... a bunch of screws, 4 bolts and there ya go. I had the front end of my Mach off in about 20 minutes the first time.

Thats what I would do. Then you could unwrap as required to get into the harness, make your additions, wrap everything back up nice n secure and Ta-da. That'll keep that OCD happy. I know... me too.

You're only adding the coil side of your new relay to the headlight high beam wire, right? I wouldnt add much more load than that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
Cool, glad it helped ya.

Those high beam wires only come off the BCM.

Hate to say this, but to run a small harness the way you want, it may be best to remove the bumper cover and then you can work at the front of the car in leisure. It really isnt that tough to remove... a bunch of screws, 4 bolts and there ya go. I had the front end of my Mach off in about 20 minutes the first time.

Thats what I would do. Then you could unwrap as required to get into the harness, make your additions, wrap everything back up nice n secure and Ta-da. That'll keep that OCD happy. I know... me too.
I've actually been trying to avoid removing the front fascia due to an uncomfortably close encounter with a kamikaze deer 🤣 the tabs are knackered so I put it back as best I could until I can get my new one.

You're only adding the coil side of your new relay to the headlight high beam wire, right? I wouldn't add much more load than that.
Correct. It's technically a SPDT toggle (on-off-on) into a SPST relay. I just needed a signal to trigger the relay when my highs are on (a pseudo 'auto' mode) and the other pole is a manual trigger if I need only the aux lights on (I pulled a constant from the main input to the interior fuse panel).
Pictures will be shared once it's done and working as designed.

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
I've actually been trying to avoid removing the front fascia due to an uncomfortably close encounter with a kamikaze deer 🤣 the tabs are knackered so I put it back as best I could until I can get my new one.
Correct. It's technically a SPDT toggle (on-off-on) into a SPST relay. I just needed a signal to trigger the relay when my highs are on (a pseudo 'auto' mode) and the other pole is a manual trigger if I need only the aux lights on (I pulled a constant from the main input to the interior fuse panel).
Pictures will be shared once it's done and working as designed.
Gotcha on all points. Looking forward to your end results.

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
Gotcha on all points. Looking forward to your end results.
The first iteration of a 'just get it working' result 😁

Refinements will come in the form of custom brackets so I can position them flush with the grill and print shrouds for them.

The accent lights, funny enough, are bright and can be mistaken for the main beam being on.
My phone's shutter stays open too long when in lowlight areas so the nighttime driving comparison is rubbish; you might get the idea but goodness me, I can see a good half mile ahead!
Combined with my SS3 fogs, I have spread and the SS5s give me distance.

20240217_200555.jpg

20240217_205909.jpg

20240218_175344.jpg

20240218_175405.jpg

20240218_175524.jpg

20240218_175554.jpg

20240219_212137.jpg

20240219_212108.jpg

20240218_204053.jpg

20240218_204105.jpg

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
The first iteration of a 'just get it working' result 😁

Refinements will come in the form of custom brackets so I can position them flush with the grill and print shrouds for them.

The accent lights, funny enough, are bright and can be mistaken for the main beam being on.
My phone's shutter stays open too long when in lowlight areas so the nighttime driving comparison is rubbish; you might get the idea but goodness me, I can see a good half mile ahead!
Combined with my SS3 fogs, I have spread and the SS5s give me distance.

I like it! Hidden behind the grill, lots of light, looks great! Nice work.

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
I like it! Hidden behind the grill, lots of light, looks great! Nice work.
Sorry for not mentioning before but THANK YOU for lending your knowledge on this 💪

And yeah, the 'behind the grill' look is ... Weird for me. I was spured on by the looks of the '65 GT ('Sport Lamps' iirc) and the functionality of GT3 cars (I've been lucky enough to attend multiple 24hr races, GT3 class mainly).

As they are now, behind the grill, it's not like it kills my beam too much... I can still throw light well up to, if not beyond half a mile 🤣

I may keep it this way 🤷‍♂️ but the ultimate goal is to make shrouds for a proper fit into the grill itself.

Sponsored

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for not mentioning before but THANK YOU for lending your knowledge on this 💪

And yeah, the 'behind the grill' look is ... Weird for me. I was spured on by the looks of the '65 GT ('Sport Lamps' iirc) and the functionality of GT3 cars (I've been lucky enough to attend multiple 24hr races, GT3 class mainly).

As they are now, behind the grill, it's not like it kills my beam too much... I can still throw light well up to, if not beyond half a mile 🤣

I may keep it this way 🤷‍♂️ but the ultimate goal is to make shrouds for a proper fit into the grill itself.

Its good to have projects!

Theres a company out there that has a kit to install those lights in the foglight pods of the Mach 1 grill. I wasnt crazy about those, but behind the grill like yours looks cool.

I LOVE endurance racing. :sunglasses:

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
Its good to have projects!

Theres a company out there that has a kit to install those lights in the foglight pods of the Mach 1 grill. I wasnt crazy about those, but behind the grill like yours looks cool.

I LOVE endurance racing. :sunglasses:
I think I know the grill you're referring to. I have plans to get a Mach1 style bumper at some point but not until my current one is sufficiently battered lol (I haven't bumped any other drivers yet... Yet. But some drivers that divebomb me often hit the strips and spray me with gravel 😡)
Sponsored