Wiper Blades

smithhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium, Auto, 3.55
I was looking for new wiper blades for my 2021 GT, and many places and brands don't list anything. I saw one reference in the forum to an odd attachment style. Can someone explain what is different about the Mustang, and what years are compatible?

I have an issue with my 2021 GT where the wiper blades don't contact the windshield in the middle when at the top of the stroke. Slightly visible in the attached pic. It's been this way since I bought it new from the dealer this year with 25 miles on it, and there are so obvious signs of damage. There is one other thread here from someone with the same issue. I took it to the dealer and they don't know what the issue is, so I am going to take it to another next week.

But I thought maybe an old-school type blade that stands off from the mount, like the basic rain-x in the second pic, might solve the problem. But so far I haven't found any compatible ones in that style.

IMG_1310.JPG
IMG_1307.JPG
Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Also for the Mustang there will be a workshop instruction for the alignment of the wiper arms, the authorised Ford workshop might even have a special tool for axial twisting of the arms.

You won't find anything better than the OEM wipers.
In your case, I would simply bend the wiper blades to a larger radius.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
OP
OP
smithhead

smithhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
If you go to Rockauto, you can find the models that fit from multiple brands.
Thanks. Doesn't look like they have anything different than the stock style.

I checked the rain-x site (they seem to be the top rated wiper and are readily available retail) and sure enough they don't have the 2021 Mustang listed at all. Not sure what's different but seems stupid not to use a standard connector on a common car, unless there is a major issue with them coming off.

Sponsored

OP
OP
smithhead

smithhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Also for the Mustang there will be a workshop instruction for the alignment of the wiper arms, the authorised Ford workshop might even have a special tool for axial twisting of the arms.

You won't find anything better than the OEM wipers.
In your case, I would simply bend the wiper blades to a larger radius.
You can't change the shape, they are spring steel. But that's not the problem anyway, they are not very stiff and aren't pushing the arm away from the window, the arm is holding the blade away from the window. Bending the arms axially won't help but they do seem to need to be bent horizontally. But sounds like it's probably an adjustment or installation issue, so I'll just take it back in and ask them to look it up. Thanks!

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
You can't change the shape, they are spring steel.
You can also deform a spring steel somewhat if you overstretch it. You have to significantly overbend the wiper blade, of course.
Also worth a try would be to just buy fresh wiper blades, maybe yours were stored poorly or came from a bad batch.
I would give both a try if the workshops fail.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Thanks, they won't solve my problem but I'll keep those in mind when I do solve the problem and replace the blades.
You also need to have them check the pressure of the wiper arm itself. Insufficient pressure can result in lifting.

Also length is 22” and 20”. All the major brands are good but honestly I like the OEM blades I can get with my FordPass points

Last edited:
OP
OP
smithhead

smithhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
You can also deform a spring steel somewhat if you overstretch it. You have to significantly overbend the wiper blade, of course.
Also worth a try would be to just buy fresh wiper blades, maybe yours were stored poorly or came from a bad batch.
I would give both a try if the workshops fail.
You also need to have them check the pressure of the wiper arm itself. Insufficient pressure can result in lifting.

Also length is 22” and 20”. All the major brands are good but honestly I like the OEM blades I can get with my FordPass points
Yeah initially I just thought it was the blades and was just going to buy new ones, but then I checked it more closely. The arm pressure seems fine, and the blades are pretty floppy and don't have much spring. The arms are simply too far from the windshield in the up position.

Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Maybe the problem starts with the mounting of the wiper motor?
I would check that.

thejoey12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I just bought new wipers this morning and put them on my car, mine is a 2022 gt and I went with Bosch Icons. 22OE for driver, and 20OE for the passenger side. fit fine

OP
OP
smithhead

smithhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
The dealer has ordered me new wiper arms. We'll see if that actually fixes it.

OP
OP
smithhead

smithhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
Got the new arms today. It fixed the issue on the driver's side, but not on the passenger side. But the driver's blade wipes the area that was a problem with the passenger blade on the way down so I don't think it's much of an issue. Although I need to drive it in the rain to be sure. But we just finished a couple weeks of rain, with none forecast for the next couple weeks.
Sponsored