Sponsored

Wiper blades replacement

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Has anyone replaced their wiper blades. It turns out you have to replace the whole arm. Hope you are sitting down as the local Ford dealer quoted me $198 for a pair WFT!!!!! Of course I said no thanks. What have others done.... will look around.
Sponsored

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
They're lying to you to make more money. Name and shame them.

It's literally a 30 second process to change (including starting the car to move the wipers up). Last time I just got them from wipertech, they have $10 off around the end of every month, next one might be around black friday so about $60 shipped to you. The sizes you need is 22" drivers side and 18" passenger side.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
The LHD and RHD models have different wipers and sizes. I tried finding the bosch icons in Australia as it was my first option but gave up after about 15 minutes and said fuck it I guess I'll get the wipertechs.

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Ha ha ha that was only for the wiper blades, they'd probably add another $100 if I asked them to fit them

Sponsored

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
The LHD and RHD models have different wipers and sizes. I tried finding the bosch icons in Australia as it was my first option but gave up after about 15 minutes and said fuck it I guess I'll get the wipertechs.
Yes you are right. I seem to remember going down this rabbit hole before. Anyhow Wipertech say theirs are the best in the world so how could you go wrong. $69 for a set.

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Yeah unbelievable what the dealer quoted. I just measured the ones on the car currently and got 21 and 3 quarters inches RHS and 17 inches LHS but looks like there is some flexibility with sizes. Will check out wipertech. Thanks everyone

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Thanks all just purchased a set from wipertech for $62.10 (10% discount). Good day when ya just saved $136 ha ha

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Why can’t they be like Honda where you just replace the rubber insert for a few dollars and retain the whole wiper.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
I got a reply from Bosch Aust.

"Bosch Icon wiper blades are a North American specific sub brand of Aerotwin wiper blades.

Here in Australia, the same product is ranged as Aerotwin Plus.

We currently list AP550U Driver Side, and AP500U Passenger Side, using Adapter 2, that is supplied with the wiper blades. AP450U will also fit the Passenger Side.

Best regards,

Alistair Burns

(AA/SMS-AO)
Robert Bosch (Australia) Pty. Ltd | Locked Bag 66 | Clayton South VIC 3169 | AUSTRALIA | www.bosch.com.au
Visitor address: 1555 Centre Road | Clayton VIC 3168
Tel. -61 3 9541 5574 | [email protected] "

Supercheap sell Aerotwin Plus so I imagine you just need to make a special order for the 450mm (which they don't stock). They do list the 550mm as a stocked item for $43.99.

Sponsored

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
Bosch Aerotwins for the Mustang AP550U and AP500U $70.00 delivered on ebay. I have been using these for some years on all my cars and consider them the best but i'd be interested in any reviews on the Wipertechs..

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Bosch Aerotwins for the Mustang AP550U and AP500U $70.00 delivered on ebay. I have been using these for some years on all my cars and consider them the best but i'd be interested in any reviews on the Wipertechs..
So the 500mm length passenger side is no problem?

FM GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aug '16 Built RHD GT
Ok so I did some measurements and crap so I don't have to deal with this in the future. Needed new wipers for my other car anyway which luckily uses the same attachment as the Mustang so I had a chance to play around with some combinations for the cars. Here it is for anyone in the future to read.

Stock Mustang Right hand drive market (AUS, UK, SA):

Drivers side-
  • 550mm (21.65 inch)

Passenger side -
  • 425mm / 450mm (16.73 inch / 17.72 inch) - Mine was def shorter than 450mm

Wipertech - Current one so I have more accurate measurements:

Drivers side -
  • Wiper arm length: 558.8mm (22 inch) - Wiper rubber length: 550mm (21.65 inch)

Passenger side -
  • Wiper arm length: 457.2mm (18 inch) - Wiper rubber length: 450mm (17.72 inch)

Bosch Aerotwin/Aerotwin Plus:
(Note this is to get rid of the triangle in the middle between the drivers and passenger wipers that doesn't get cleaned with stock wipers and is only from my measurements. I tested with a 600mm but you can go for the 575mm if you don't want it to be a tight/risky fit)

Drivers side -
  • 575mm (22.63 inch) / 600mm (23.62 inch) - AP575U / AP600U

Passenger side -
  • 450mm (17.72 inch) - AP450U

I wouldn't recommend going 500mm/AP500U on the passenger side as with the Wipertech 18 inch one, it's already a close call with only a 5mm gap between the wiper sweep and the edge of the glass near the roof. If you go 500mm you risk going over the glass and scratching your paint with the wiper. This was the case with my particular car anyway. Keep in mind with Fords legendary build quality none of this might apply to you and your wiper might be installed slightly different.

GT450

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT mustang manual
Ok so I did some measurements and crap so I don't have to deal with this in the future. Needed new wipers for my other car anyway which luckily uses the same attachment as the Mustang so I had a chance to play around with some combinations for the cars. Here it is for anyone in the future to read.

Stock Mustang Right hand drive market (AUS, UK, SA):

Drivers side-
  • 550mm (21.65 inch)

Passenger side -
  • 425mm / 450mm (16.73 inch / 17.72 inch) - Mine was def shorter than 450mm

Wipertech - Current one so I have more accurate measurements:

Drivers side -
  • Wiper arm length: 558.8mm (22 inch) - Wiper rubber length: 550mm (21.65 inch)

Passenger side -
  • Wiper arm length: 457.2mm (18 inch) - Wiper rubber length: 450mm (17.72 inch)

Bosch Aerotwin/Aerotwin Plus:
(Note this is to get rid of the triangle in the middle between the drivers and passenger wipers that doesn't get cleaned with stock wipers and is only from my measurements. I tested with a 600mm but you can go for the 575mm if you don't want it to be a tight/risky fit)

Drivers side -
  • 575mm (22.63 inch) / 600mm (23.62 inch) - AP575U / AP600U

Passenger side -
  • 450mm (17.72 inch) - AP450U

I wouldn't recommend going 500mm/AP500U on the passenger side as with the Wipertech 18 inch one, it's already a close call with only a 5mm gap between the wiper sweep and the edge of the glass near the roof. If you go 500mm you risk going over the glass and scratching your paint with the wiper. This was the case with my particular car anyway. Keep in mind with Fords legendary build quality none of this might apply to you and your wiper might be installed slightly different.
I understand perfectly FM GT, i don't need any just yet but will check before the need arises. All the little anomolies you need to watch out for are amazing but at least if you do it yourself there is no one else to blame so thank you for your feedback.

OP
OP
snake bite

snake bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords of course
Well my wipertech blades arrived today, so super quick given i ordered them late Monday. The size was 22 and 18 inches and went on no drama, seem to work fine so im happy. I'll see how they go in a downpour but I'm sure they will be perfect and $136 cheaper than Ford ones ha ha
Sponsored