Winterizing your Stang.

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
So I plan on winterizing my car and do a full detail before I tuck it away for the winter. What do you guys use to winterize your car for those that do not DD it? Also, do you use any charging unit that keeps the battery from draining?
Sponsored

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
When I did winterize, it wasn't anything more than a bottle of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer added when I topped off the tank of gas, placed on jack stands so the wheels were not taking weight but the springs were and a battery tender/buddy/automatic trickle charger connected. Never hurts to throw in a couple of moisture absorbers like DampRid.

OP
OP
Sammzway

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
When I did winterize, it wasn't anything more than a bottle of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer added when I topped off the tank of gas, placed on jack stands so the wheels were not taking weight but the springs were and a battery tender/buddy/automatic trickle charger connected. Never hurts to throw in a couple of moisture absorbers like DampRid.
Ah thanks. Yeah I was thinking along the same line. Didn't think about the jack stands, i'll have to order some. What kind of battery tender do you use? Is there a specific kind through Ford?

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
If you're home, what about starting up the car at least every few weeks on jack stands?

Sponsored

Elvis has a Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Convertible 50 Years Edition
Any good recommendations for a car cover?

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Ah thanks. Yeah I was thinking along the same line. Didn't think about the jack stands, i'll have to order some. What kind of battery tender do you use? Is there a specific kind through Ford?
Schumacher SEM-1562A - Works every bit as good as the Battery Tender, but less expensive.
Also, you don't need to put the car up on jack stands, but it prevents the tires from flat spotting if you take the load off them.

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I don't think our tires will flatspot over the winter, but it can't hurt to be on jack stands. Stabil and a full tank of gas is the best bet. I also just disconnect the battery. It won't discharge just sitting in the car not hooked up. If you are really anal about things a fresh changed of oil before you park it. I always used fogging oil on my 240z, but I don't know how necessary it really is.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I don't think our tires will flatspot over the winter, but it can't hurt to be on jack stands. Stabil and a full tank of gas is the best bet. I also just disconnect the battery. It won't discharge just sitting in the car not hooked up. If you are really anal about things a fresh changed of oil before you park it. I always used fogging oil on my 240z, but I don't know how necessary it really is.
That's just not true ... batteries naturally self discharge in relation to time and temp.

I've had to replace batteries in Mustangs in the past because I thought just this. Spend $22 for the Schumacher and you'll save money in the long run.

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Putting the car on jack stands is a waste. Tires are not going to develope any flat spots. Just change the oil and add some stabil to the tank and you'll be good. Also a battery tender would be a good idea.

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
That's just not true ... batteries naturally self discharge in relation to time and temp.

I've had to replace batteries in Mustangs in the past because I thought just this. Spend $22 for the Schumacher and you'll save money in the long run.
Yes, they will discharge over time, but this guy is in Long Island not Siberia. I have been doing this with show cars for years and only replace batteries when it is time for them to crap out anyways. It is plenty safe.
Sponsored