Sponsored

Winter tyres

AB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
Seems like the last thread was back in Feb 2017.

So. Is anyone fitting them for this winter? If so, what have you got (make, model, price)?
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

COLD27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Velocity Blue GT
As my car is my DD, and I live in Scotland, I will be picking up a set. Will probably go with Nokian WR A4 as I have had success with them in the past and they are decent value.

For those of you who use winter tyres, what width do you go for on the rear? 255 or 275?

downthepub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Miles
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, VW California
As my car is my DD, and I live in Scotland, I will be picking up a set. Will probably go with Nokian WR A4 as I have had success with them in the past and they are decent value.

For those of you who use winter tyres, what width do you go for on the rear? 255 or 275?
I have exactly these tyres. And for what's it worth I have the 255 section rear tyres. The tyre place thought they'd have a little stretch, but no, fit perfectly. One thing about the Nokians, there's no rim protector so a bit easier to kerb, as a result my winter wheels are going in tomorrow for repainting. These are a second set of the OEM 19" wheels, with TPMs for the winters. Despite what you may read, there's no need for a TPM programmer. A couple of resets via the menus in the gauge cluster are normally required on mine. Third winter approaching.

Sponsored

COLD27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Velocity Blue GT
I have exactly these tyres. And for what's it worth I have the 255 section rear tyres. The tyre place thought they'd have a little stretch, but no, fit perfectly. One thing about the Nokians, there's no rim protector so a bit easier to kerb, as a result my winter wheels are going in tomorrow for repainting. These are a second set of the OEM 19" wheels, with TPMs for the winters. Despite what you may read, there's no need for a TPM programmer. A couple of resets via the menus in the gauge cluster are normally required on mine. Third winter approaching.
Thanks mate. I will probably just swap the tyres this winter and look to pick up a set of OEM GT wheels for next year (unless anybody knows of a set going spare!), so good to know that 255s will work.

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
I have the Nokian WR A4 & had 2 winters out of them, they preform well. Same section as summer tyres. I had new wheels & could get no sense out of Ford or dealers on cloning the pressure sensors so cancelled order & let tyre supplier supply & fit.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
I drove daily through last winter on Pirelli P Zeros no problem and am on Michelin Pilot Super Sports now so should be ok this year personally I don’t see the point of winter tyres - just be a good driver

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I use Nokians.

No matter how good the best summers are, they are no match for even average winter tyres in the true conditions that demand it.

Sponsored

Toecutter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
^^^^^
this or MP4S or if you have an MY18 you have these already no need to change them
That's my plan also. I rarely do over 30 miles during the week and have a couple of A road journeys on the weekend. If the snow gets too bad then I will make my missus drop me off.

Dell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Shadow Black
Hi Colin ,

Like you my GT is my DD in Scotland , and working 12 hour shifts I'm either going to work or coming home at 6am which is usually single digit celcius temps about 9 months of the year , and quite often damp or raining :rain::frown:
That was why I chose to swap the factory Pirelli P zeros for Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S as it lets me have a bit more (predictable) fun on the commute.
For the winter I have a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin 4 in stock GT sizes which I have found to be every bit as good as the PS4S in the dry and wet with the added benefit of being able to cope effortlessly with snow and ice.
Incidentaly my wifes New Micra couldn't get up the slight slope to our driveway at the first sign of snow earlier this year with the factory tyres , but with a set of Nokian Weatherproofs neither of us had any problem when the Beast from the East hit :whew:

wack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Shadow Edition Triple Yellow
I drove daily through last winter on Pirelli P Zeros no problem and am on Michelin Pilot Super Sports now so should be ok this year personally I don’t see the point of winter tyres - just be a good driver

Winter tyres aren't just about grip, summer tyres harden below 6-7 degrees so longer braking distances , whether you need them , sloane square to the ritz maybe not but we all know BMW's don't move once there's an inch of snow

Matty77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Fastback now sold, 2019 GT Fastback
I've used Nokian WR A4's for the past 2 winters and should easily get 2 more out of them. I paid ÂŁ420 for a set of 4.
Essential for me on the hilly rural roads I use.
The Nokians transform the car in winter and feel ultra-safe. They get a bit squishy when the weather warms up but then it's time to swap them anyway by then.
Sponsored