Sponsored

Winter tires

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have the PP with the summer tires and while I've seen the other threads on the subject, most of the members seem to be in areas with worse weather. I moved here last February and it snowed a few times but I have no idea what winters are really like here. Is a nice all terrain like the Michelin PS AS3 a better choice than a dedicated snow/winter tire?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lowrider

Drive Fast...Live Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A poorman's coupe
All terrain tires are appropriate for AWD cars but for a Mustang, you NEED winter tires no ifs or buts...

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Get dedicated winter tires. They provide much more traction in ice and deep snow. X-ice or Blizzaks. Do not cheap out on the only part your vehicle has contact with the road.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Has nothing to do with cost, just my location. There wasnt any deep snow last year (while I was here). Usually 1-3" and it melted quickly (within a day).

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
IMO it doesn't matter what tires are on your Mustang in the winter. If it ever snows, you'll either be stuck in traffic or stuck in your neighborhood/work because the roads haven't been plowed yet.

Lived in NoVA my entire life, owned my 2011 since October 2010, driven through five winters all on summer tires. When there was snow on the forcast I stayed home. When I was caught unprepared I used my Jedi skillz and balls of tungsten to get home. Biggest fear is not losing traction and crashing, but rather getting crushed by some soccer mom in her AWD SUV thinking she's invulnerable.

Sponsored

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
IMO it doesn't matter what tires are on your Mustang in the winter. If it ever snows, you'll either be stuck in traffic or stuck in your neighborhood/work because the roads haven't been plowed yet.

Lived in NoVA my entire life, owned my 2011 since October 2010, driven through five winters all on summer tires. When there was snow on the forcast I stayed home. When I was caught unprepared I used my Jedi skillz and balls of tungsten to get home. Biggest fear is not losing traction and crashing, but rather getting crushed by some soccer mom in her AWD SUV thinking she's invulnerable.
I was amazed by how many accidents I saw last year (even in flat areas). I went out a couple nights ago and it was about 70°; I couldnt believe how much less traction the summer tires had at that temperature. I was really surprised. Sold the truck last month and probably wont buy another vehicle until after winter (moving and I travel a lot for work). I grew up driving in the mountain snow but dont trust many of the people on the road around me.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I was amazed by how many accidents I saw last year (even in flat areas). I went out a couple nights ago and it was about 70°; I couldnt believe how much less traction the summer tires had at that temperature. I was really surprised. Sold the truck last month and probably wont buy another vehicle until after winter (moving and I travel a lot for work). I grew up driving in the mountain snow but dont trust many of the people on the road around me.

So much this. I don't trust them even when everything is perfect outside. The law banning cell phone use in a moving vehicle can't come soon enough.

FWIW only Pirelli summer tires suffer to a great extent in cold weather so don't clump them all together. Michelin and Continental among a few others have summer tires that still work well in colder weather. My Conti DW tires were solid in sub freezing temps.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
Has nothing to do with cost, just my location. There wasnt any deep snow last year (while I was here). Usually 1-3" and it melted quickly (within a day).
This is my delima. In St louis we get 5 snows a year. 3 of them are less than 1 inch and mean nothing. But we get 1 maybe 2 6-12 in storms a year.

While i plan on just not going out. Sometimes you cant avoid it.

my last 3 cars have all been AWD, so I was able to get by on all seasons in the winter.. With the mustang, i am going full blow winters.

OP
OP
madweazl

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So much this. I don't trust them even when everything is perfect outside. The law banning cell phone use in a moving vehicle can't come soon enough.

FWIW only Pirelli summer tires suffer to a great extent in cold weather so don't clump them all together. Michelin and Continental among a few others have summer tires that still work well in colder weather. My Conti DW tires were solid in sub freezing temps.
I've been running Michelin PS AS2 and 3s on my past few cars and loved them (one pair of Extreme DWS that I absolutely hated and removed after three or four weeks) but I havent driven in anything that could be considered cold temperatures in 20 years.

I'll stick with a dedicated pair of winter tires I guess. Anyone know off the top of their head if the stock GT PP Pony center caps fit the American Muscle GT PP replica 19" wheels?

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
I drive on my PP tires last winter in temps as low as -5. No problems. They do however suck on ice and snow. My 07' mustang has AS tires and I've done 4-6 inches of snow without issue. But I grew up driving in the mountains of NorCal and it was a regular thing. So I might be jaded. I would like a nice set of winters but not sure I can justify it.

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My Pirellies sucked in 55 degree wet weather this afternoon. I can't imagine driving them in subzero weather.

I should have some Continental DWS6 tires soon. If they can't get me to work I will just be staying home.
Sponsored