Winter replacement tires for GT350R

voodoo-r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
t.o.d
Vehicle(s)
2017-GT350R
Put about 1k miles on em last winter and they did a great job in the cold. For that price I would buy again. The Alpin PA4s are superior (have them on the wife's Subaru) but for the 350s the PA4s are double the cost of the conti sale.
Sponsored

Sletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
20 GT350, 19 Expedition, 17 VW Alltrack
I went a different direction and got some Pirelli winter tires as an experiment. 295/35 all around. I didn't get them for snow traction, just cold temperatures. I'm pleased so far.
IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5790.jpg

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
So I’m in Wisconsin and looking for a cold weather set up for my incoming GT350R to install on my CF wheels.

eventually I’ll probably buy a second set of wheels for these alternate tires but that is just not in the cards for near term.

I will never drive the R in snow. I just want as an alternative to the Cup 2s.
The idea being I used the alternative set for late fall, winter storage and early spring. Then summer time (May-September) I’ll put on the Cup 2s

I was thinking PS4S staggered set up
295/30 front
305/30 rear

intrigued by what some of you all did last year with the winter tires. Any updates? Thoughts?

TIA

CRisolvato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
(1st car, long gone) '86 5.0 GT Jalapeno red. '20 HEP-R. The other cars don't really matter.
I was thinking PS4S staggered set up
295/30 front
305/30 rear

intrigued by what some of you all did last year with the winter tires. Any updates? Thoughts?

TIA
From what I have researched ad-nauseum, the 4s is a 3-season tire at best. For your late spring through mid-Fall tire, I think the consensus is "yes". However, the 4S appears to rest in the category of "if the tire gets below 20 degrees, it should be warmed to 40 or 45 F for 24 hours or one could cause damage to the rubber".

The Continentals listed in this thread are sold-out everywhere. Even Michelin Alpin PA4 or 5, which are much more expensive are difficult to come by. Once I confirm if the SVE350R replica wheels in "base" spec will properly fit the R, I am buying a set. Even better if I can match the wheel width front and rear for easy rotation. 295+ tires are very difficult to find.

I don't care about snow or water in winter; the car won't leave the garage if that crap is forecasted; that is why I have a FWD Honda and a 4WD truck. I want cold weather tires with a high μ which won't blow a belt from a pothole.

clavery1322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16' GT3RS
I went a different direction and got some Pirelli winter tires as an experiment. 295/35 all around. I didn't get them for snow traction, just cold temperatures. I'm pleased so far.
IMG_5716.jpg

IMG_5717.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg
IMG_5790.jpg
I just ordered the same Pirellis in the same size for those dry clear days in the winter. Looking forward to seeing how they perform. how have yours been?

Sponsored

Sletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered the same Pirellis in the same size for those dry clear days in the winter. Looking forward to seeing how they perform. how have yours been?
I’ve enjoyed them. Several below freezing morning drives and the tires are great. It gets much above 40 and they get soft, but still smooth and they brake loose earlier so somewhat more fun. Enjoy

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I’ve enjoyed them. Several below freezing morning drives and the tires are great. It gets much above 40 and they get soft, but still smooth and they brake loose earlier so somewhat more fun. Enjoy
This is really encouraging to me.
With the exception of three years in Colorado in the mid 80’s, I’ve been a So Cal guy all my life.
We’re looking to move when we retire soon. Moving to Wyoming or????
The thought of not being able to drive my GT350 all year long just doesn’t fly with me....this could make all the difference.
Thank you!

clavery1322

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
16' GT3RS
295/35/r19 pirelli sottozeros all around.
We’ll see how they do tomorrow on the road.

ECE72FF5-4D22-4DF5-A46C-23C72B01767A.jpeg

Sletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
Just like most of the country we're getting a real cold streak here in Oklahoma the next 5 days. Although cold, we don't currently have any precip other than light flurries and the roads are clear so no sand/salt. High yesterday was 20 degrees and I have had the best time running around town with these tires on. BMW M2 tried to keep up with me on a cloverleaf and I just left him.... Big smile. Tires make all the difference.

Enduro Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT PP (RIP)
I used to run 255 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s on my 2015 Mustang GT, and they worked very well over several southern Ontario winters. Easily the best winter tires I've had for the car, and much more sure-footed than the Blizzak LM-32s I originally had. I saved the lightly used-fronts for my GT350, and learned a few months ago that 275 Hakk3s were now available. I've always preferred narrower snow tires, but not if it means overly stretching them.

So this is a 255/40R19 front, 275/40R19 rear setup. It's been working very well, as long as the snow stays under the ride height.

xIMG_0119_cr.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Heritage Edition
I used to run 255 Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s on my 2015 Mustang GT, and they worked very well over several southern Ontario winters. Easily the best winter tires I've had for the car, and much more sure-footed than the Blizzak LM-32s I originally had. I saved the lightly used-fronts for my GT350, and learned a few months ago that 275 Hakk3s were now available. I've always preferred narrower snow tires, but not if it means overly stretching them.

So this is a 255/40R19 front, 275/40R19 rear setup. It's been working very well, as long as the snow stays under the ride height.

xIMG_0119_cr.jpg
I'm running a 305 square setup with the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 - based in New Jersey and love them so far . They are also all-weather high performance- so you can drive them hard in the summer. Very quiet as well- maybe it's the CF wheels but there is no NVH either. Not sure why more people don't talk about and recommend these. As much as I would love to run the PS4S (best tire IMO), it's gets way to cold in NJ winters to take that chance.

CRisolvato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
(1st car, long gone) '86 5.0 GT Jalapeno red. '20 HEP-R. The other cars don't really matter.
I'm running a 305 square setup with the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 - based in New Jersey and love them so far . They are also all-weather high performance- so you can drive them hard in the summer. Very quiet as well- maybe it's the CF wheels but there is no NVH either. Not sure why more people don't talk about and recommend these. As much as I would love to run the PS4S (best tire IMO), it's gets way to cold in NJ winters to take that chance.
By all accounts of measure it seems the 4s in 305/30 is nearly identical in size to the sc2 315/30..the 315 is .2 inches wider is sectional and tread width, but according to tire rack, both are meant for a 11 in rim, but will fit 10.5-11.5”. So, with all that, you like the 305 square? It is such a small difference, it seems like the difference is immeasurable. I will be pulling the sc2 and mounting to track rims and have been wondering how to handle the street tires to get some rotation out of the rubber. I only wish I could rotate without unmounting the rubber.
Anyway, thanks for reminding me to consider that.

fatony618

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R Heritage Edition
By all accounts of measure it seems the 4s in 305/30 is nearly identical in size to the sc2 315/30..the 315 is .2 inches wider is sectional and tread width, but according to tire rack, both are meant for a 11 in rim, but will fit 10.5-11.5”. So, with all that, you like the 305 square? It is such a small difference, it seems like the difference is immeasurable. I will be pulling the sc2 and mounting to track rims and have been wondering how to handle the street tires to get some rotation out of the rubber. I only wish I could rotate without unmounting the rubber.
Anyway, thanks for reminding me to consider that.
Honestly, I can't compare them to the PSC2 as I had them taken off right when the car was delivered- so I could sell them. I do love the way the car drives now and I did do my homework with the 305 square and there is no real difference from the 315 rear. Although the only downside I recently realized is that the Cooper is an R rated tire which is 107 mph. I'm not sure what the details of being over the speed is but I can tell you I've been above that many times with no issues. lol. Honestly, I really have no choice as that is the only All-season tire available in 305/30/19 and would rather have that and still use the CF rims. I would rather not be switching Winter/Summer (even if I could do it but there are no winters in those sizes either) as it's prob not a good idea to continually mess with the CF rims. My long term hope is that Michelin eventually comes out with a W or Z rated 305/30/19 in the next few years.

Sletcher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stu
Vehicle(s)
Honestly, I can't compare them to the PSC2 as I had them taken off right when the car was delivered- so I could sell them. I do love the way the car drives now and I did do my homework with the 305 square and there is no real difference from the 315 rear. Although the only downside I recently realized is that the Cooper is an R rated tire which is 107 mph. I'm not sure what the details of being over the speed is but I can tell you I've been above that many times with no issues. lol. Honestly, I really have no choice as that is the only All-season tire available in 305/30/19 and would rather have that and still use the CF rims. I would rather not be switching Winter/Summer (even if I could do it but there are no winters in those sizes either) as it's prob not a good idea to continually mess with the CF rims. My long term hope is that Michelin eventually comes out with a W or Z rated 305/30/19 in the next few years.
You’re all set; the Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 is a W speed rated tire. Enjoy them.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Cooper Zeon RS3's also as a winter/storage in cold condition alternative, so I could also drive the car when really cold and no snow... They are good but... the handling has completely changed.

Although I got the lightest wheels I could find, the Signature SV501's , the steering has become much heavier, and the car crashes much harder into potholes.
It' s because of the tire profile and weight of the tires; much heavier than Sport Cup 2.

Now on the positive note, there is zero tramlining left, and the steering is dead center on the highway, no matter how the road is.. very nice for cruising. It needs more input to change direction, but traction on cold roads is just perfect. I need second gear and over 4000 rpms to break it.
This is how it looks with 305/30/19 all 4 corners, stock R rim sizes.

DSC01333.jpg
Sponsored