Winter Beater

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I know I keep going back and forth, but just noticed an 04 Columbia edition with 140k miles for 5.5k. It looks to be in pretty good condition and this trim has some extras on it that most GC don't. It has the 4L and select trac which sounds like may be an advantage in the winter and if I were to ever go off road. It is white, but guess not a deal breaker. He says it has some minor damage to the rear bumper and a couple surface rust areas underneath. He is only an hour away and available most of the time, but still would most likely have to find somebody to ride along and debating on whether to apply for a loan first or make two trips. I have a feeling it won't last long though. I still like the looks of the XJ's better and they may hold their value better, but the heated seats, CD changer and NAV that the newer ones have may be nice.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe that Columbia edition isn't as nice as I thought. He just updated the ad saying it needs speakers and looking at the pics closer see there is a big tear along the seam of the front seat. He did reduce the price by 500 and it still looks like a decent deal. I guess I have to accept there are going to be some minor issues on a 20 year old vehicle.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Too bad you aren't willing to look at an older Explorer. The old 4.0 V6 is bulletproof and those vehicles are dirt cheap.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Dude, snap out of it. You are driving yourself into a circle of indecision šŸ˜‚

Yes, expect ANY old Jeep you get to have issues. Even if it was a garaged, 1 owner car well maintained - you canā€™t beat time. Some will be better than others but all will require some attention and maintenance/repair.

Please donā€™t spend $10-$15k and get roped into financing a 20 year old vehicle youā€™re considering to be a beater ride. Get whatever seems comfortable and learn to accept the flaws. As long as you arenā€™t buying a rust bucket and it drives well, then you should be OK.

I had a Columbia Edition WJ with the 4.7HO, 2wd. I really liked it - it was very comfortable and was VERY quick. Got rid of it because it cost a fortune to put gas in and I drove an insane amount of miles per year (25k +) and it was starting to nickel and dime me for everything (radiator, rear main seal twice, shift solenoid inside the trans housing) and it eventually started to burn some oil (probably valve stem seals).

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Too bad you aren't willing to look at an older Explorer. The old 4.0 V6 is bulletproof and those vehicles are dirt cheap.
Also a good suggestion - as long as itā€™s the 4.0 pushrod engine and not the SOHC. The SOHC was really smooth and had a lot more power, but suffer from timing chain/tensioner issues which are worth more than the vehicle to fix.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Also a good suggestion - as long as itā€™s the 4.0 pushrod engine and not the SOHC. The SOHC was really smooth and had a lot more power, but suffer from timing chain/tensioner issues which are worth more than the vehicle to fix.
I didn't even know that Ford made a 4.0 OHC engine. All I know is I was impressed with the 2004 Explorer I owned from a durability standpoint. I bought it with 220,000 miles on it. Not only did it not burn oil, it didn't drip any fluids at all in my garage. Impressive in my opinion. It wasn't cool, flashy or fun to drive but it was very reliable. Perfect winter beater for those below zero days. Oh and I should say it was fun in fresh snow. Other than that, not so much, but in fresh snow it was great.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I didn't even know that Ford made a 4.0 OHC engine. All I know is I was impressed with the 2004 Explorer I owned from a durability standpoint. I bought it with 220,000 miles on it. Not only did it not burn oil, it didn't drip any fluids at all in my garage. Impressive in my opinion. It wasn't cool, flashy or fun to drive but it was very reliable. Perfect winter beater for those below zero days. Oh and I should say it was fun in fresh snow. Other than that, not so much, but in fresh snow it was great.
Yes, they introduced the OHC version in 1997 I believe.

They did revise the timing gear in the 2000ā€™s (not sure what year, but early 2000ā€™s). Yours was probably post-fix, they tended to fail 100-150k like clockwork.

But yes, other than that issue, they are solid engines. Smooth, pretty quiet, decent power for what they were in.

OP
OP

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang it guys! I had just about given up on my Cherokee search for the season and went ahead and ordered that computer upgrade I've been wanting for awhile (and probably paid way too much), but noticed that 01 XJ that was in pretty good shape is still available and he lowered the asking price to 4k. I figured it would be beat up inside like most too, but he sent some pics and it looks pretty solid with no holes or tears in the seats which is rare on one of this age.
Sponsored