Sponsored

Windshield Washer line replacement. Cut by hood struts.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So I know with some hood struts there is an issue to move the washer line (at least I do now) I got the ford performance struts and of course they didn't mention anything about the washer line. put them on and closed the hood. Next day went o use washers and... so I have a replacement line. My questions is how do you install it? I have looked and looked for you tube videos or some sort of tutorials and come up with nothing. My google foo is off I guess. I know IM not the only one who has had this issue. I have already tried to mend it with a splice but it cut on a corrugated part and all it does it leak at the splice no matter what I have tried so just gonna replace whole hose. if anyone knows of a video please let me know.
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I can't help with a video but sometimes when I can't find directions I will look up the exploded parts diagram. This can give you an idea of what comes apart to get to what you need.
With that washer line it's quite possible that you will have to take the fender liner out to access the fluid bottle.
Good luck and make a video of the repair.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I can't help with a video but sometimes when I can't find directions I will look up the exploded parts diagram. This can give you an idea of what comes apart to get to what you need.
With that washer line it's quite possible that you will have to take the fender liner out to access the fluid bottle.
Good luck and make a video of the repair.
LOL thats why im looking for a video or instruction. If I have to take a liner out screw it. Ill just use rain x for the next couple years

Onlyone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0 PP1 301A A10
Why not just cut it where it was damaged and put a barb fitting or equivalent and patch that part?

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Why not just cut it where it was damaged and put a barb fitting or equivalent and patch that part?
I addressed that in my original post. I already tried that and its cut where the tube is corrugated and I have tried 3 different barbs and tape and and and it still leaks. Its not a soft rubber hose its a hard rippled plastic so nothing makes a seal.

But thank you for the help :)

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Have you tried putting something like RTV silicone or plumber's pipe dope on the outside of the barb fitting? There used to be this non-hardening black Permatex stuff that would still set up pretty stiff.

It's not like this joint has to withstand all that much water pressure.

Norm

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Have you tried putting something like RTV silicone or plumber's pipe dope on the outside of the barb fitting? There used to be this non-hardening black Permatex stuff that would still set up pretty stiff.

Norm
Thanks Norm, yeah I thought of several things like that but then I worry a piece miggt come off get stuck in nozzle...dia. of pipe will restrict water..so on. I got the replacement line guess i just need to go out start taking things apart.

I also hate my cars to be repaired. I like to do it right with complete parts.

Thank you for the idea

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My next suggestion would have been to use a barb, RTV and zip ties. I really think that combination would work. But I totally understand the whole wanting it right thing.
Good luck and don't forget to video the fix.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
My next suggestion would have been to use a barb, RTV and zip ties. I really think that combination would work. But I totally understand the whole wanting it right thing.
Good luck and don't forget to video the fix.
Did you try heat shrinkable tubing

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
I'm actually wondering how you cannot find a video with it explained... Cause I really feel like it is in almost all the install videos I've seen on YouTube - apart from those with an aftermarket hood without sprinklers.

Anyway! Take a look here at Bill's work :like:

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto

Norm
Like Norm has said, This should be a very easy fix. Cut off the damaged section flush and clean , splice in a new piece of tubing with a connector available at most auto stores or pet stores. No Tape, no RTV, just allow for movement and you are done there is no real pressure so the plug and play fitting will not leak.
IMG_0333[1].JPG

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Like Norm has said, This should be a very easy fix. Cut off the damaged section flush and clean , splice in a new piece of tubing with a connector available at most auto stores or pet stores. No Tape, no RTV, just allow for movement and you are done there is no real pressure so the plug and play fitting will not leak.
IMG_0333[1].JPG
Thank you but like I said on my car it is not a solid rubber hose. it is a thin rippled hard plastic hose. I have all ready tried slicers. barbs, tape, zip ties, cement... and nothing seems to stop the leaking. This is why Im looking to replace the whole hose. I have the part I just need some sort of video to explain how it gets replaced as it winds in and out of various parts of the car.

So to clear up why most of these fixes are not working for me. Here is a picture of my hose line. it is a hard non pliable ribbed (inside and out) plastic. There are no smooth surfaces to make a seal.
20200621_131239.jpg

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I'm actually wondering how you cannot find a video with it explained... Cause I really feel like it is in almost all the install videos I've seen on YouTube - apart from those with an aftermarket hood without sprinklers.

Anyway! Take a look here at Bill's work :like:

Actually watch that video cause I did. He does NOT say anything about rerouting the hose. All he says is just move it up to snap strut on duh... my install was just like his and my hose got pinched so.... and there was zero mentioned in the instructions it came with saying to move it anywhere. But thanks anyway.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
Actually watch that video cause I did. He does NOT say anything about rerouting the hose. All he says is just move it up to snap strut on duh... my install was just like his and my hose got pinched so.... and there was zero mentioned in the instructions it came with saying to move it anywhere. But thanks anyway.
Sounds kinda odd - Can you take a picture of the bracket at excactly where the pinch happened? I have now seen 3 GTs with the FP hood struts and there has been no issue at all.

Only thing I can recommend to do other than the normal install is to make a cut like pictured - In that way you don't have to take off the strut if you want to remove the battery cover.
qrBjdfX.jpg
Sponsored