Sponsored

Will America again move to smaller vehicle (no politics)

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I did indeed, and also explained the context in which I replied, a problem for you? Not sure why you think I live in London ??? Roads in the country are often narrower anyway in the UK

Actual sales figures show what we actually buy, and these are not out of the ordinary for Europe. These are not little shit boxes by the way, just suitable for the market here, as sales demonstrate. Japanese kei cars make these European cars look like giants.

The UK's best-selling cars of 2021 (updated) (driving.co.uk)

I do have a Mustang but very few do here.

Don't equate size with prestige, value or quality. US cars from the malaise era prove that!
Right, I've been over there, and Ireland, and france, and rome, and poland, and most of the EU. The roads are not as tiny as you claim. Sure some are but that can be said here also.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Oh, I don't care what someone else drives, their choice.
I do know when I drove a tiny car many drivers never saw me in their side mirrors, as the car was so low that I learned to not get beside a truck or large suv unless I could pass it, The roof of this car was the same height as a toyo camery drunk lid. So being beside a full sized pick up, it was easy for them to not see me, and merge over.
Fun car but a death trap with todays vehicles driving around you.
Hello; When I drive the Sentra I do not linger when passing a big truck.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
When my Mustang is paid off in a few months, I'm thinking of buying a plain Maverick Hybrid as a work vehicle/commuter/errand runner. 42 city is hard to ignore when I average 6.8 city in the Mustang. It is one of the best deals offered in any vehicle right now. Bonus that it's a Ford. I had an HHR Panel van for this purpose 10 years ago, but it only got about 19 in the city. Was still way better than my V10's.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Right, I've been over there, and Ireland, and france, and rome, and poland, and most of the EU. The roads are not as tiny as you claim. Sure some are but that can be said here also.
Rome is a city not a country!

So why do we not buy your big butch cars then ?

Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Rome is a city not a country!

So why do we not buy your big butch cars then ?
No shit, really. All the others , I traveled to much of those countries, Italy I only was in Rome.
Still try'n to place everyone else as fools I see.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
More medium large and huge, but two good choices there!
I see small, medium and XL, but I live in the US. My 73 Cutlass Coupe was considered a mid sized car new, now seems big compared to a modern full size car.

Cutlass1.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, China wants into this market, and" lets go brandon " is happy to help make that happen, now that GM/FORD/DODGE killed off all their small cars.
High gas prices was planned as it make ev's seem like a better idea, and make it easier to get Americans on board to allowing China automakers to import cars.

That said. Todays suv's that most buy are not the huge ones, they are the mid to small ones That don't gulp gas ,
That Chevy full sized truck with a turbo 4, doesn't look so stupid now. If this trend of high pump fuel stays the course,
I think you'll see a lot more 2.7 v6 ford trucks on lots
Ahh, a conspiracy theory AND some politics.ā€¦good job.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
As a person who drove small trucks (or lorries as they call them in the UK) in Ireland (North and south) I can attest to not being able to fit two vehicles abreast VERY frequently.
I still recall the day I was travelling between two cities, 60 mph, mirror dragging in the hedge on one side, similar sized lorry approaching from the other direction, when our mirrors collided in the middle.
The Mustang is a very wide vehicle by international passenger vehicle standards.
Many of your SUVā€™s (for example) would be far too cumbersome to use on a daily basis unless you were able to stick to the motorways (highways) almost exclusively.

There are many reasons why people typically opt for smaller vehicles in the UK, physical size is just one of them.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Itā€™s probably more a question of disposable income.
Those who can afford to continue operating a larger vehicle will likely to continue to do so.
Those who find the financial burden too strenuous will probably opt out.
The bigger question in my mind is how long will this situation last?
Fluctuations in prices arenā€˜t a new concept but the pandemic seems to have exacerbated this particular situation.
Moving forward, as people transition to EVā€™s and the power to charge them moves toward renewables, what happens to the cost of gasoline?
Iā€™m sure that the OPEC nations have become quite accustomed to a certain level of income.
Will they try and eek out that same annual return on diminishing sales?
This isnā€™t your normal supply vs demand situation. Not when they artificially control the supply.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I saw an article in the news the other day in Louisiana that a family of four on welfare will get upwards of $800 a month on their purchase card for groceries. I donā€™t see why they couldnā€™t afford a late model Tahoe .

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I saw an article in the news the other day in Louisiana that a family of four on welfare will get upwards of $800 a month on their purchase card for groceries. I donā€™t see why they couldnā€™t afford a late model Tahoe .
The amount is a ceiling and income driven.

Given what I've heard, there are many obstacles to overcome when you are poor (food deserts, poor financial literacy, increased car insurance, etc.).

Not saying you are wrong... sure we can find instances of poor family of four buying a Tahoe. Probably wouldn't end well though...

On the thread topic, I've read we may stay in larger vehicles as Americans, as a population, grow older (travel, wheel chair, grandkids, etc...).
Sponsored