Sponsored

Will America again move to smaller vehicle (no politics)

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I hope people understand that current prices for gas and other consumer items are a result of the pandemic and will return to normal at some point. It is all about supply and demand and always has been.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I think the US is a pretty unique market and not representative of the rest of the world. US cars in general don't work elsewhere as they are just too big. The Mustang is the limit for the UK in terms of width and that applies in a lot of other countries. Our roads are half the size of US roads!

You have also had cheap fuel for ever (sometimes for political reasons, sometimes not) so you are very used to it being cheap. We are paying £1.50 a litre here for petrol and that certainly concentrates the mind for most people. The Mustang is the only N/A V8 available in the UK, there are a few supercharged / turbo V8's but multicylinder engines are becoming a thing of the past.

Having said that it is odd how we can put £70 of fuel in a car without batting an eyelid and yet get all excited about something costing £5 in a shop.

I think the long and short (or wide) of it is that US citizens, in general terms, without wishing to sound too rude, don't fit in the rest of the worlds cars!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
I hope people understand that current prices for gas and other consumer items are a result of the pandemic and will return to normal at some point. It is all about supply and demand and always has been.
Supply, demand and market manipulation when it comes to oil!

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
AGAIN NO POLICTICAL REMARKS.

LMAO that's all that is .............. POLICTICAL

You can put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig

Lefty also thinks he can pick up a turd from the end that does not stink.
Yup, China wants into this market, and" lets go brandon " is happy to help make that happen, now that GM/FORD/DODGE killed off all their small cars.
High gas prices was planned as it make ev's seem like a better idea, and make it easier to get Americans on board to allowing China automakers to import cars.

That said. Todays suv's that most buy are not the huge ones, they are the mid to small ones That don't gulp gas ,
That Chevy full sized truck with a turbo 4, doesn't look so stupid now. If this trend of high pump fuel stays the course,
I think you'll see a lot more 2.7 v6 ford trucks on lots

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supply, demand and market manipulation when it comes to oil!
Not. The us fleet uses 1/2 what it did pre pandemic. As most of the work force has not bothered to go back to work, and much of the other half are working from home all week or much of it. Product delays from lack of o.t.r. trucks = less diesel used. The demand isn't there. The whole mess is political. shuttering the keystone pipeline as "lets go brandons" first works is a big part of this. Among other things, they have done and many more that are coming down the pike. Wait till they find out how that infrastructure bill is going to hike the o.t.r. fuel prices of all vehicles from the fed fuel tax hike (hint it is huge). When o.t.r. trucks fuel cost goes up, EVERYTHING goes up.
The pain only starts at the pump. you aint seen nothing yet.
They are also floating a engine size tax. Many other countries already have this.
A fed sales tax to pay for all this trillions of spending. and an environment impact tax ( taxed per mile driven).
Fuel prices haven't been about supply/demand since the 70's.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Yup, China wants into this market, and" lets go brandon " is happy to help make that happen, now that GM/FORD/DODGE killed off all their small cars.
High gas prices was planned as it make ev's seem like a better idea, and make it easier to get Americans on board to allowing China automakers to import cars.

That said. Todays suv's that most buy are not the huge ones, they are the mid to small ones That don't gulp gas ,
That Chevy full sized truck with a turbo 4, doesn't look so stupid now. If this trend of high pump fuel stays the course,
As I said the US market is unique and US car makers sell very few of their home grown products abroad. This is not the case for other car makers globally. It could indeed kill off some US carmakers, but only if they don't look at global markets. Stellantis now seem to be doing this and Ford also with moves to build the Mach E in China

Your small to medium SUV's are the rest of the worlds giant SUV's!

As regards the Chinese - well you have missed that boat already as Chinese car makers, together with the Japanese and Korean's already have massive global output. US buyers already choose Toyota as their No.1.

High 'gas' prices are global, nothing planned about it and certainly not a US thing, where your prices are still substantially less than others.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As I said the US market is unique and US car makers sell very few of their home grown products abroad. This is not the case for other car makers globally. It could indeed kill off some US carmakers, but only if they don't look at global markets. Stellantis now seem to be doing this and Ford also with moves to build the Mach E in China

Your small to medium SUV's are the rest of the worlds giant SUV's!

As regards the Chinese - well you have missed that boat already as Chinese car makers, together with the Japanese and Korean's already have massive global output. US buyers already choose Toyota as their No.1.

High 'gas' prices are global, nothing planned about it and certainly not a US thing, where your prices are still substantially less than others.
Other countries fuel prices are all taxes.
It is the reason they drive small vehicles, with tiny engines.
Those in power here, hate i.c.e. and hiking fuel prices will push people to different vehicles, it will also bury our last manufacturing industry. Allowing "lets go brandon" to hand the keys to winny the poo.
The uk diesel price as of 11-15 is 5.39 a gallon, so it is higher than here, but nothing like the pump gas difference.
The problem here is diesel prices will jump just like gas will.
Europe fits inside the boarders of TEXAS. so shipping cost isn't the same for Europe, and the uk is even smaller.
Now try shipping items from the ports on west coast, 2.5 times or more the size of europe, or 15 times or more the size of the UK.
Stick to uk issues. OK.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Other countries fuel prices are all taxes.
It is the reason they drive small vehicles, with tiny engines.
Those in power here, hate i.c.e. and hiking fuel prices will push people to different vehicles, it will also bury our last manufacturing industry. Allowing "lets go brandon" to hand the keys to winny the poo.
The uk diesel price as of 11-15 is 5.39 a gallon, so it is higher than here, but nothing like the pump gas difference.
The problem here is diesel prices will jump just like gas will.
Europe fits inside the boarders of TEXAS. so shipping cost isn't the same for Europe, and the uk is even smaller.
Now try shipping items from the ports on west coast, 2.5 times or more the size of europe, or 15 times or more the size of the UK.
Stick to uk issues. OK.
We drive 'small cars with tiny engines' because they fit our roads.

Charming response as ever - I was responding in the terms of the OP question. As you know all about our tiny little country with its tiny little cars with tiny little engines I will leave you to it tiny little man!

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We drive 'small cars with tiny engines' because they fit our roads.

Charming response as ever - I was responding in the terms of the OP question. As you know all about our tiny little country with its tiny little cars with tiny little engines I will leave you to it tiny little man!
Right, yet you quoted my post, try again. oh and that is why you have a mustang, and many I know and been to their homes have low, wide cars. Not everyplace in the uk roads are as tight as the ones in london.
Maybe you should trade in your stang for a spitfire

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Think, US manufactures should have never produced a car smaller than the mid size, Falcon/Mustang .

There are people that have always liked the MG, and the likes. And the same will move away from them, because of the size, uncomfortable rattle boxes.

Someone wants to drive the small little things, so be it . Gas cost $$$ it always will, as long as we stay energy (oil) independent we will be good.

Folks seem to love the SUV, for some reason they need to take half the house with them wherever they go.

As you go in & out of wallmart, take a casual look in the windows. Looks like rompa room in there. In some cases its the over flow form the garage.

Look back a few years and remember all the bullshit spewed with regards to the SUV ......... Gad to see today the results and the push back from the edge of that cliff .

Will I own the SUV, no have no use for one.

One more china and the rest ........... anyone else out here noticed. They come to the market with a little cutesy, catroon car .............. few years later they build a bigger cutesy, cartoon car ?

Common sense screams that the desire for some little shit box is short lived.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Right, yet you quoted my post, try again. oh and that is why you have a mustang, and many I know and been to their homes have low, wide cars. Not everyplace in the uk roads are as tight as the ones in london.
Maybe you should trade in your stang for a spitfire
I did indeed, and also explained the context in which I replied, a problem for you? Not sure why you think I live in London ??? Roads in the country are often narrower anyway in the UK

Actual sales figures show what we actually buy, and these are not out of the ordinary for Europe. These are not little shit boxes by the way, just suitable for the market here, as sales demonstrate. Japanese kei cars make these European cars look like giants.

The UK's best-selling cars of 2021 (updated) (driving.co.uk)

I do have a Mustang but very few do here.

Don't equate size with prestige, value or quality. US cars from the malaise era prove that!

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
One more china and the rest ........... anyone else out here noticed. They come to the market with a little cutesy, catroon car .............. few years later they build a bigger cutesy, cartoon car ?
I think your view on Chinese cars is a little dated. Nothing cartoon about them now. You will not have heard of many of them (I certainly haven't), but the Chinese car market is bigger than Europe and the US combined. They also own several big name marques. Geely have done a great job at Volvo and are doing so at Lotus and Polestar. I'm not pro or anti Chinese but ignore them at your peril!

Chinese Car Brands (carlogos.org)

Small cars can be made and perform to a high level, size is not a determining factor when it comes to quality.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; My first two cars were 1957 year model GM's. A 1957 Chevy four door with a 6 cylinder and manual 3 speed. The second was a 1957 Pontiac with a 347 V-8 and an automatic. That Pontiac was a gas hog. I traded it in for a 1970 Opel Rally Cadet. The Opel got around 25 MPG, drove well enough but was plagued with problems.
Sold the Opel and got a 1972 Porsche 914 with a 1.7 liter engine. Great handling car and got over 40 mpg on long road trips. Probably the car which required the most work to keep going I have owned, but also the most fun to drive.
At a point I needed a truck, so I got a used GMC step side with a 6 cylinder. Then a full sized Ford E-150 van. I liked that van a lot but it only got maybe 12 to 13 mpg on a good day.
The plan has been to have a small car and a full sized truck since 1977. I have had a Honda Civic and two Nissan Sentra's. I still own the second Sentra. I have had two E-150 Ford vans, an F-150 pickup and currently a 2004 Chevy Silverado I bought when my Ford pickup was totaled.

I like a small car if the drive and handle well. My Sentra still gets 33 to 35 mpg overall. My pickup only gets around 18 mpg. I had planed to get a Ford Focus to replace my old Sentra but that is gone now. I do not care for SUV's. Looks like I will have to buy small import. So from my point of view there is a place for small cars.

If it gets down to only having one vehicle it will be a pickup or van.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think, US manufactures should have never produced a car smaller than the mid size, Falcon/Mustang .

There are people that have always liked the MG, and the likes. And the same will move away from them, because of the size, uncomfortable rattle boxes.

Someone wants to drive the small little things, so be it . Gas cost $$$ it always will, as long as we stay energy (oil) independent we will be good.

Folks seem to love the SUV, for some reason they need to take half the house with them wherever they go.

As you go in & out of wallmart, take a casual look in the windows. Looks like rompa room in there. In some cases its the over flow form the garage.

Look back a few years and remember all the bullshit spewed with regards to the SUV ......... Gad to see today the results and the push back from the edge of that cliff .

Will I own the SUV, no have no use for one.

Common sense screams that the desire for some little shit box is short lived.
Oh, I don't care what someone else drives, their choice.
I do know when I drove a tiny car many drivers never saw me in their side mirrors, as the car was so low that I learned to not get beside a truck or large suv unless I could pass it, The roof of this car was the same height as a toyo camery drunk lid. So being beside a full sized pick up, it was easy for them to not see me, and merge over.
Fun car but a death trap with todays vehicles driving around you.
Sponsored