Sponsored

Why the 10" struggle?

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Probably for the same reason people install CAI's without a tune, hood scoops, side scoops and racing stripes.
Sorry but this is just ignorant and a complete lack of the facts. Wider wheels= wider tires which increases the contact patches (more tire touching the pavement) and have a direct effect on performance of the car.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The 1LE was released as a Boss competitor, as the ZL1 wasn't cost competitive. The 1LE was a known bit of competition when the 2015 Mustang came out. And if you can't beat the existing competition with your new car, your going to be in big trouble when they release a new version.
More about marketing than ultimate performance.

My guess is that the 1LE was looked at not as a competitor to meet/exceed but a target to get reasonably close to without going quite so extreme with the wheels, tires, and possibly damping. Keep in mind that back when the 1LE was first introduced Al O specifically mentioned the 1LE as being a car for the 2%, at least implying that meant 2% of Camaro buyers. I think Ford was shooting for at least 20% for the PP - without risking too many complaints of ride harshness/excessive firmness (that the PP seems to have ended up with a little bounciness suggests that maybe they dialed something in the damping back a bit too far).

Making the "regular" GT350 the version that was truly aimed at the 1LE and the GT350R at the Z/28.

Norm

SlimReaper

SlimReaper
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brien
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Phuck yeah it does!!

No offense to the many wheel vendors on here, you guys have great stuff and offer amazing support to members. And no offense to the members who buy the particular wheels, but when I see a wheel setup with a bitchin' rear wheel with killer concave-edness and beefy tires then look at the front and it looks like it was just put there so the car can roll, it bugs me a little. The car has 4 wheels/tires and I think they should all look equally aggressive, both for aesthetics and for performance.
Finally someone who understands me. :clap2:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform

Sponsored

Syracuse315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
More about marketing than ultimate performance.

My guess is that the 1LE was looked at not as a competitor to meet/exceed but a target to get reasonably close to without going quite so extreme with the wheels, tires, and possibly damping. Keep in mind that back when the 1LE was first introduced Al O specifically mentioned the 1LE as being a car for the 2%, at least implying that meant 2% of Camaro buyers. I think Ford was shooting for at least 20% for the PP - without risking too many complaints of ride harshness/excessive firmness (that the PP seems to have ended up with a little bounciness suggests that maybe they dialed something in the damping back a bit too far).

Making the "regular" GT350 the version that was truly aimed at the 1LE and the GT350R at the Z/28.

Norm
Have any suggestions on the best tire width/thickness for the GTPP in regards to corner carving/Auto-X events? I had a square setup on my previous GT (275/40/17), and I'm hoping to avoid having to shop for new rims if a decent setup can be found. (I know the stock PP rims are pretty heavy, oh well)

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
SlipReaper, that looks killer!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Have any suggestions on the best tire width/thickness for the GTPP in regards to corner carving/Auto-X events? I had a square setup on my previous GT (275/40/17), and I'm hoping to avoid having to shop for new rims if a decent setup can be found. (I know the stock PP rims are pretty heavy, oh well)
Looks like Ford has set things up with the staggered sizes fitted to "measuring width" wheels. The furthest beyond that would be min-width fitments, which would open up the possibility of using either 265/40's or 275/40's up front and 285/40's out back. You may gain a little grip (expect to be doing some tire pressure re-tuning), at some cost in turn-in response and precision. I am not sure if the overall result is a gain - it may even be course-dependent.

Whether you go with OE sizes or upsize them per the above, Michelin PSS has it covered and you'll be slightly better off in the dry and way better off in the wet. There really isn't too much out there yet in the 200-treadwear tires (Rivals, RE-71R, RS-3, etc.) in sizes that you could really use full-time on the street as well (which I'm assuming to be the case based on your reluctance to go wheel shopping just yet).

If your car ever stops being F-Street legal, you'll absolutely have to look for wheels that are at least 10" wide and preferably wider. Else be a field-filler unless you're an absolute alien driver.

Norm

JTQ92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Base Performance PacK
Because Semi-Deep concave on front and back looks nasty :cool:
Tireshine 1.jpg

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
275/35-19 RE-71 Bridgestones are the current top choice in FS, with the new 285/35-19 size being highly anticipated.

Sponsored

Syracuse315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Looks like Ford has set things up with the staggered sizes fitted to "measuring width" wheels. The furthest beyond that would be min-width fitments, which would open up the possibility of using either 265/40's or 275/40's up front and 285/40's out back. You may gain a little grip (expect to be doing some tire pressure re-tuning), at some cost in turn-in response and precision. I am not sure if the overall result is a gain - it may even be course-dependent.
Would it make sense to look for a person to trade for the 9.5" rear and use on the front of the car? Something like 275/35/19 PSS, RE-71Rs, RS-3 V2, or HTRIIIs (I've had decent past experience with these)?

Whether you go with OE sizes or upsize them per the above, Michelin PSS has it covered and you'll be slightly better off in the dry and way better off in the wet. There really isn't too much out there yet in the 200-treadwear tires (Rivals, RE-71R, RS-3, etc.) in sizes that you could really use full-time on the street as well (which I'm assuming to be the case based on your reluctance to go wheel shopping just yet).
275/35-19 RE-71 Bridgestones are the current top choice in FS, with the new 285/35-19 size being highly anticipated.
Yes, these would be my DD tires. If running, I would be in FS for the foreseeable future as I build experience in the car. Are the Bridgestones a good choice, or am I going to be white knuckle driving every time it rains?

If your car ever stops being F-Street legal, you'll absolutely have to look for wheels that are at least 10" wide and preferably wider. Else be a field-filler unless you're an absolute alien driver.

Norm
Understood. I've held up quite well in private track rentals against some of my friends/coworkers in Mini's, BRZs, Corvettes, etc, but I don't know how that would compare to the local/regional autoX scene.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Would it make sense to look for a person to trade for the 9.5" rear and use on the front of the car? Something like 275/35/19 PSS, RE-71Rs, RS-3 V2, or HTRIIIs (I've had decent past experience with these)?

Yes, these would be my DD tires. If running, I would be in FS for the foreseeable future as I build experience in the car. Are the Bridgestones a good choice, or am I going to be white knuckle driving every time it rains?
The Rear 9.5" wheels wont fit on the front without a spacer because of the offset. Part of why I think they were a poor design choice. Plus it wouldn't be FS legal.

The RE-71R's did well in Grassroots Motorsports wet testing, but apparently they wear pretty fast. But it's always a trade off, want to go fast on the track, want a good rain tire, or want a inexpensive all rounder, your choice. I have a set of PSS on the way for all around use, but they are a bit pricey, and I ordered them before the word on how good the RE-71Rs were was out. Add the new 285 size and they are the tire to beat for performance. The new GT350 spec PSS would be tempting too, as they are a good bit wider than any of the currently available Extreme performance tires, if you are running wider wheels.

Syracuse315

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Looking at the sizing available:

Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
UTQG: 200 A A
Front - 275/35R19 - $328
Rear - 285/35R19 - $334
Total: $1324

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
UTQG: 300 AA A
Front - 275/35R19 - $324
Rear - 285/35R19 - $363
Total: $1374

Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2
UTQG: 200 A A
Front & Rear - 275/35R19 - $305
Total: $1220

Sumitomo HTR Z III
UTQG: 300 AA A
Front - 275/35R19 - $211
Rear - 285/35R19 - $224
Total: $870

So not a huge price difference on the first three, but considering how much cheaper the HTR Z IIIs are, and as a decent performance, they're going to be hard to pass up. Will have my eye on the RE-71R if the budget allows though, and just deal with the lower mileage life and cost higher cost.

mvp90805

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race red mustang GT premium
Fawk! I order my rims 9.5 on the front instead of 10, dammit i think it's to late to change them to a 10.5
Sponsored