Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenalslr95
I was asking American Muscle this yesterday when ordering my AMR wheels. Winded up with the 8.5 fronts and the 10" rears
Were you struggling with oversteer? Or just wanted the beefy look?
Like most other mass-market wheel suppliers, AM does not seem to be the least bit interested in supporting the corner-carving segment when it comes to wheel widths. No matter what generation of Mustang.

I do understand it's easier for them to avoid dealing with tighter fitments with people trying to fit tires of unknown (to them) sizes, followed by said customers coming back to them with complaints and blaming them when things don't fit.

The sad part is that it's easier to get narrow wheels in [wrong] offsets that crowd the fender side anyway. For that "flush" look only.

Norm

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
Yes put Steeda progressive. I also have 5mm spacer up front with no clearance issues.
Did you HAVE to run a front spacer? Just wondering cuz I'm looking for wheels for mine and trying to learn as much as I can.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
I think this whole staggered thing is just people hanging on to things that were really needed in the past, especially with the SN95 generation. From the factory that car stood so high up and it's wheels (especially in the rear) were so tucked it looked like you could tip it over with one finger. No wonder people started lowering it and putting staggered wheels on.

The new S550 doesn't need any of that, it has a perfectly good ride height from the factory, the wheels are fine in square and just need a bit lower ET to get them more flush with the body.

But then again I don't care for body kits, scoops, stripes or black wheels either so I'm an insignificant minority I suppose.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Last edited:

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Out of curiosity I have to ask:

Why fight to fit a 10" wheel all around, potentially not have the center caps fit, and only throw a 275 on them:confused:
The real question is why would anyone spend the money for aftermarket wheels, and not get at least 10"?

Another is, why Ford couldn't fit a 9.5 that would work up front?

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
The real question is why would anyone spend the money for aftermarket wheels, and not get at least 10"?

Another is, why Ford couldn't fit a 9.5 that would work up front?
simple its for cost effectiveness brotha

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
simple its for cost effectiveness brotha
How are staggered wheels more cost effective? Can't rotate them, and have to keep up with (& stock/build) two different configurations. And buying 8.5" wheels to replace 9" wheels is the opposite of cost effective. Spend more to get less. (note I have staggerd wheels on order, but because I am trying to max out what I can fit - 10 F / 11 R)

If I was the engineering boss at Ford, the guy who came up with the 19x9/19x9.5 PP wheel fitment would get fired. Significantly smaller than the competeting Camaro 1LE's 10 F/11 R wheels & tires AND can't rotate them even though a 19x9.5-275 (or even better, 19x10-285) can fit on the front with no problems with the proper offset.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
How are staggered wheels more cost effective? Can't rotate them, and have to keep up with (& stock/build) two different configurations. And buying 8.5" wheels to replace 9" wheels is the opposite of cost effective. Spend more to get less. (note I have staggerd wheels on order, but because I am trying to max out what I can fit - 10 F / 11 R)

If I was the engineering boss at Ford, the guy who came up with the 19x9/19x9.5 PP wheel fitment would get fired. Significantly smaller than the competeting Camaro 1LE's 10 F/11 R wheels & tires AND can't rotate them even though a 19x9.5-275 (or even better, 19x10-285) can fit on the front with no problems with the proper offset.
no sorry haha I meant in the sense they see it as one less material being used on the front, I know weird I didnt engineer it and I would have rather had a square setup to rotate, but who knows man

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

More than likely the reason for the wheel width and tire size stagger is to meet some corporate requirement for understeer numbers and/or to make life easier for the team charged with developing and certifying the AdvanceTrak.

Unless there's a better handling package in the works for some future 1LE competitor, I don't entirely understand why they stopped so narrow either. Then again, the 1LE wasn't available until the third year of the 5th gen Camaro platform . . .

Norm

M3Convert

American Muscle Noob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
The deep concave looks bad as hell on the front, and there is absolutely no fitment issues with a 20x10 40mm offset, thanks Paul at N4SM! :headbang:
[/URL]Untitled by Danielle Tison, on Flickr[/IMG]
[/URL]Untitled by Danielle Tison, on Flickr[/IMG]
+1 love this...I want it!

Any issues with wet roads with the reversed tread? Sorry, my OCD kicked in when I looked at the wheels. I know it doesn't make much difference in the dry, but what about in the wet?

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
It handles great to me, I haven't had any problems in the rain. The past couple of weeks I've been caught a couple times in afternoon thunderstorms, no problems with wet roads.
Thanks for the comments.
Also the wheels and tires are for sale.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
It handles great to me, I haven't had any problems in the rain. The past couple of weeks I've been caught a couple times in afternoon thunderstorms, no problems with wet roads.
Thanks for the comments.
Also the wheels and tires are for sale.
their at a good price point as well :cool:

Reactions: WKT

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
More than likely the reason for the wheel width and tire size stagger is to meet some corporate requirement for understeer numbers and/or to make life easier for the team charged with developing and certifying the AdvanceTrak.

Unless there's a better handling package in the works for some future 1LE competitor, I don't entirely understand why they stopped so narrow either. Then again, the 1LE wasn't available until the third year of the 5th gen Camaro platform . . .
Norm
The 1LE was released as a Boss competitor, as the ZL1 wasn't cost competitive. The 1LE was a known bit of competition when the 2015 Mustang came out. And if you can't beat the existing competition with your new car, your going to be in big trouble when they release a new version.
Sponsored