Why: Quieter after X pipe!?!

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So i finally installed my borla X pipe and the car is NOTICEABLY quieter inside the cabin than stock lol outside the car does sound a little bassier on cold starts, but once it warms up its almost like the engine isn't on. I do notice the engine appears to be reving a little faster, but nothing night and day.

My theory is the resonator was letting mostly lower frequencies get through so it gives a perception of higher volume and now that thats gone it sounds quieter but I didnt take before and after decibel readings.

I think the OE Gen 2 mufflers are just way too efficient at noise reduction. Maybe time to axe them off or do long tubes and really let it sing
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

NotMarc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1
Yes, and yes.

+1 My 2015 mufflers were extremely noise restrictive. If you're curious take a look at Roush Axle-back before and after videos. The cars get *significantly* louder when the mufflers get changed out.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Factory mufflers are super good at making the car dead silent.

X pipes resonate a different level as well so you are hearing the exhaust in a different manner. It’s not quieter than having a full stock exhaust.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Did they change the mufflers in '17 cause after installing an H-Pipe they are loud AF on my car (anything 3000 rpm+) . Interior noise increased a bit as well. Idle is more bassy, and idles (warmed up) at 75db. These are the main reason why I didn't go axlebacks...

Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Did they change the mufflers in '17 cause after installing an H-Pipe they are loud AF on my car (anything 3000 rpm+) . Interior noise increased a bit as well. Idle is more bassy, and idles (warmed up) at 75db. These are the main reason why I didn't go axlebacks...
No.

15-17 will have the same factory exhaust.

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
So day after got to say im LOVING the cold start.

It sounds mean but its still so quiet that you hardly hear it when you're a few feet away so it's great for the neighbors. I also realized that the windows up kills the volume significantly which is nice for highway driving. Plus i leave for work at 4 in the morning so i probably dont need to make it much louder.

I love the way it sounds when you get on it. Its like NASCAR but with the volume turned way down lol. With the windows up at warm idle you cant even tel the engines on... Lol

I'm thinking with long tube headers this setup would actually be, pretty awesome and livable. I just need a few DB more volume... I'm thinking headers are going to be my next buy. I'm not yet ready to go full merica with the catbacks lol.

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
I would be wary of doing headers and removing the mufflers as well, it may get quite a bit louder lol. I would do one or the other first and see how you like it. If you would like to go over some options from my experience of what sounds pretty good on these cars with a Borla X pipe, feel free to hit me up. Lethalperformance.com

OP
OP
3star2nr

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I would be wary of doing headers and removing the mufflers as well, it may get quite a bit louder lol. I would do one or the other first and see how you like it. If you would like to go over some options from my experience of what sounds pretty good on these cars with a Borla X pipe, feel free to hit me up. Lethalperformance.com
Thanks man. I'm thinking to do headers first and mufflers last. Cause I want the power more than sound lol

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Remember.. lots of cars making power upwards to and beyond 1000hp using factory CATS.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
X pipes are more energy efficient and the bank to bank direct scavanging lessens turbulence. X pipes are routinely quieter than H pipes or sharply curved crossover sections. However mid pipes should be about fine tuning your sound, not completely attenuating its overall tone. Mufflers should be doing that. And don't go headers to no resonators do no mufflers. That's completely uncorked. You're just going to be a complete douche and it's going to drone like a cow sitting on a power drill.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase