corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Sorry but a AU/$100k car without ACC is unacceptable in 2021.
Back in the day, the closest thing we had to ACC was carbon-based, generally female, and associated with rear seating and imaginary controls. It was one of the least desirable "options" one might have to put up with. Damned if I'll ever understand why today's silicon-based version is any more acceptable.

Norm
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I guess you could rig up a GoPro to record brake light activity and find out for sure. There's probably other ways, but that's the least invasive approach I can think of.
strip a small piece of insulation from the brake switch and hook up a diagnostic buzzer.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the day, the closest thing we had to ACC was carbon-based, generally female, and associated with rear seating and imaginary controls. It was one of the least desirable "options" one might have to put up with. Damned if I'll ever understand why today's silicon-based version is any more acceptable.

Norm
you still have that option on new cars :D, at least on mine.....

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
From what I've gathered, ACC uses the same sensor that pre-collision warning system uses, which the Mach 1 comes equipped with standard. My thoughts are that maybe Ford didn't have enough time to test ACC with the new bumper or it didn't pass their standards, and may or may not be an option offered next year.

Since the car already comes equipped with the sensor needed, I had already purchased the steering wheel buttons for ACC for 20 bucks and was going to try enabling the option in forscan as a cheap test to see if it would work, but I bought a GT350 instead of a Mach 1 and the GT350 needs the sensor and wiring added as well so I haven't tried it yet.

If anybody else is up to try this out on a Mach 1 instead, the steering wheel buttons are part # JR3Z-9C888-FA, and the thread with more info on adding ACC is here
I believe the reason that that the Mach1 doesn't have ACC you kind of pointed to here. It uses the GT350 bumper... correct me if I'm wrong here.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I believe the reason that that the Mach1 doesn't have ACC you kind of pointed to here. It uses the GT350 bumper... correct me if I'm wrong here.
You are neither right or wrong. Ford has never answered the question about the Mach 1 and ACC. Everything here is just an educated guess. Regardless, it doesn't have it. Maybe next year.......if there is a next year!

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
It's not worth trying to explain - people who want to have the image of owning a "driver's car" without having to do all of the "driving work" themselves aren't going to understand any explanation that could be given.

Norm
1617846636866.png

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Imho, ACC s simply another electronic problem looking for a place to happen. I for one would prefer fewer nannies, not more.

Sponsored

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
Although useful in variable traffic queues, It's really annoying when the car in front slows a little, and you don't notice because the car is in control. Next thing you're cruising at a lower speed than you had intended but you could have got passed them and maintained your speed!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Although useful in variable traffic queues, It's really annoying when the car in front slows a little, and you don't notice because the car is in control. Next thing you're cruising at a lower speed than you had intended but you could have got passed them and maintained your speed!
I hear what you are sayin. But your comment gives credence to those who say ACC can be a cause of distracted driving.

“and you don't notice because the car is in control”.

You are behind the wheel of a 460HP monster. You darn well better notice a vehicle slowing in front of you.

Geofft21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1 M2467
I hear what you are sayin. But your comment gives credence to those who say ACC can be a cause of distracted driving.

You are behind the wheel of a 460HP monster. You darn well better notice a vehicle slowing in front of you.
Emphasis on a "little" which you missed out of your quote, and I agree with others, it is another step closer to autonomous driving. Mine is switched off most of the time and I won't miss it on the Mach 1.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
100kms of daily motorway/freeway driving might just change you mind Norm
No, it wouldn't. Chances are it'd frustrate me because it's still not going to use the throttle in the exact same fashion that I would under identical conditions. Feeling that the car is working at cross-purposes to you is not a good attitude to bring to your driving.

I'm retired these days, but when I was working I had commutes for extended periods of time that ranged up to 90 km (each way), generally in light to moderate traffic. It simply never occurs to me to use any form of cruise control, ever. Not even on longer vacation trips. Got no use for it; it can't do anything I haven't been able to do for myself (and I have the driving record to back that up).

Norm

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

That's the way driving is supposed to work . . . but here we have this technology that's intended to only cover for a driver's momentary lapses in attention but which we can bet good money on will end up being used to support much longer periods of inattention.

Norm
Sponsored