Sponsored

Why is the Mustang easy to drive?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Crank. Throw it in drive. There ya go, easy.

Okay, but seriously: I'm the type of person who loves watching car reviews. Something I have noticed every generation since the 90s, reviewers from different companies always say the same thing! It is easy to drive at the limit. Motor Week, Motortrend (Randy Pobst), Car and Driver, Daily Driver, etc. Everyone says they are easy to drive at the limit as opposed to the Challanger and Camaro. Though apparently the Camaro is more difficult in comparison.

The explanation is always absent. Why is the Mustang easier to drive? Confidence? We all know how important confidence is since the 2012 Skyline launched, and expected to be terrible on paper but confidence was not consider, which is why it is one of the fastest around the Nurburgring.

TLDR: Mustang is not AWD, and they come with narrow tires (even all seasons). The Mustang is also heavier than the Camaro. How is it light on its feet? Anyone have an insight to this?
Sponsored

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Better visibility (esp. as compared to the Camaro).

Beyond that I am guessing, but better feedback to the driver near the limit (steering, tire noise, chassis shifts, etc.)?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
It's easier to drive at the limit because Mustang owners actually care about their car. Have you seen how hideous the Camaro is? I don't blame Camaro drivers for crashing their car and going out and buying a Mustang. I can't say a single Camaro has looked good since the third gen in the 80s.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Not from the youtube vids I see :crackup:

Last edited:

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
It's about what the car communicates to the driver when driving spiritedly. Does it feel like it's about to lose grip in the rear? You probably will soon. Does the front start to slightly slide under braking? Understeer is imminent. Does the weight transfer from one side then settle or is it bouncy?

Things like this inspire confidence in a driver and make it feel like you're in control more than other vehicles.

Sponsored

speedup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 triple black GT convertible
I'm sure to be in the minority, but I think my 2019 GT convertible is one of the harder cars I've driven, especially when going fast. Sure, it can behave nice when going slow, or on smooth, flat highways, but throw in some uneven lanes, bumps, dips, it can get interesting. Particularly the steering wheel response.

I have tried all the steering modes, and have to keep it in sport steering to keep the wheel from going all over the place on uneven roads. To me, the suspension gets bouncy too. Unfortunately my Mustang doesn't have Magride.

I am comparing this to my last car a 2017 camaro 2ss convertible that had magride. People talk about how bad the visibility is in the Camaro, and I admit it took a couple days to used to, but after you feel right at home, and I never felt like I couldn't see everything out of it. I never once felt 'afraid' of opening that car up as wide as it would go.

I love both cars, this is my 6th mustang, and that was my 3rd camaro.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Some cars communicate to you, through noise, feel, feedback through steering wheel etc etc

And some are like piloting a car in a video game. You are constantly reacting to what you see and the car does.................. after it does it.

I'm not saying the Mustang is the best communicating car ever but it does give advance warnings most of the time and is predictable. It's no MX-5 but serious difference in power and weight. :)

Last edited:

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The harder and faster I drive my Stang the better it is, end of story!

Plus my Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires are awesome.

TC

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a ton of cars and didn't find my car any easier to drive. In fact the Camaro's were the easier cars to drive with a stick. Next was a 2012 GT500.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, the manuals are not easy to drive smoothly, due to the light-switch clutch action. And the tranny doesn't like to be rushed either. Besides that, if you catch any kind of bumpy surface in a curve, the car wallows like a walrus, even when not all out, so can't imagine driving anywhere near the car's limit without at least some sub-frame braces front and back. I did a Bondurant camp (with my daughters) with a Challenger, and it was definitely better than the Mustang. Not sure if they were modified or not, but it was definitely more stable.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better visibility (esp. as compared to the Camaro).

Beyond that I am guessing, but better feedback to the driver near the limit (steering, tire noise, chassis shifts, etc.)?
I have heard the S550s are numb in regards to feedback. This is why I'm scratching my head. All I cam say from driving it is that it is fun. It is my favorite car that I havr driven.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the manuals are not easy to drive smoothly, due to the light-switch clutch action. And the tranny doesn't like to be rushed either. Besides that, if you catch any kind of bumpy surface in a curve, the car wallows like a walrus, even when not all out, so can't imagine driving anywhere near the car's limit without at least some sub-frame braces front and back. I did a Bondurant camp (with my daughters) with a Challenger, and it was definitely better than the Mustang. Not sure if they were modified or not, but it was definitely more stable.
Interesting. I do agree that commuting, the rev hang is absolutely annoying. However, I have confidently approached my firehawk indy 500s threshold (light tire squealing) and I was not frightened of me going off course.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The harder and faster I drive my Stang the better it is, end of story!

Plus my Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires are awesome.

TC
I agree. One reason I want to keep the suspension and wheels stock is the body roll. I know once it is lowered and stiff with Roush struts, it won't be as playful. Faster in corners? Yes. As fun? Maybe, maybe not.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Body roll is a good thing. Tire selection (forgiving tires) matters too. Suspension geometry is sound enough.

the car is decently balanced, puts power down ok without sliding, and biased towards slight understeer, so pretty safe. The stability control electronics are really good too.

but the main thing is just the absense of any serious handling quirks, like some cars have. You don’t have to do strange things to get it to behave normally.
Sponsored