Sponsored

Who makes a good 3” cat back for GT350’s?

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1M-82
What options are there for 3” catbacks that retain the exhaust valve feature? I’ve seen the Ford Performance (by Borla) and the Borla Atak, but what I read said they are only 2 3/4”. I’d like a true 3” as eventually I’ll most likely add forced induction (realistically sooner rather than later)
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I went through this when I put the Whipple on my regular 350. It just didn’t have much of a benefit in my opinion. I did do the Corsa res delete. My car makes 750 at the wheels on pump premium. The factory exhaust is a really nice system in my opinion on these cars. I think there’s better places to use the funds, especially if your going fi.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's incremental. I marginally agree with above, you can get to where you're going without enlarging the exhaust. The question is how much you want to make or how easy you want to make it.

I have 2" primaries and full 3" all the way to the tips. But I did it as much for sound as anything. I like the sound of the ARH setup. Some guys prefer the more raw sound of the OE exhuast.

I do miss (occasionally) the active exhaust.

A full effort car (before boost) will make the same power with less fuss/strain. So adding things like ported heads, cams, full exhaust, giant throttle body, etc, are all expensive and incremental, but they also mean that if you want to make XXXX horsepower, it comes at lower boost. Or you make more power at the same boost.

If you pickup 20 hp while naturally aspirated, you'll pick up 40+ horsepower at 15 lbs of boost. So adding incremental gains prior to boost is helpful, but in the end, these motors and modern setups will make more power than the chassis can handle effectively with or without them.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
OP
OP
Racinjason65

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
It would
I went through this when I put the Whipple on my regular 350. It just didn’t have much of a benefit in my opinion. I did do the Corsa res delete. My car makes 750 at the wheels on pump premium. The factory exhaust is a really nice system in my opinion on these cars. I think there’s better places to use the funds, especially if your going fi.
It would bother me to know that I had a restriction, there’s a ton of options for my Whipple’d GT I’m surprised there isn’t one for the GT350. One of my options since I’m having a motor built for my GT is to upgrade that car to the 3.8 and put its 3.0 on the GT350 since I already bought a PNR ice tank, 150mm throttle body and CJ intake, I already have the air intake, 132mm throttle body, HE, Pump and tank, so I’d just have to buy the 3.8 and the 10rib kit.

Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It would

It would bother me to know that I had a restriction, there’s a ton of options for my Whipple’d GT I’m surprised there isn’t one for the GT350. One of my options since I’m having a motor built for my GT is to upgrade that car to the 3.8 and put its 3.0 on the GT350 since I already bought a PNR ice tank, 150mm throttle body and CJ intake, I already have the air intake, 132mm throttle body, HE, Pump and tank, so I’d just have to buy the 3.8 and the 10rib kit.
I don't really get the 3.8. I know it's marketing, but I made just shy of 1100 rwhp on 19 lbs at 21 degrees of timing and low .70's lambda. (gen 5 3.0). The car absolutely had 1200 rear in it at .80 lambda and a couple more degrees. That's on the stock balancer (with a 10 rib and a 2.75" pulley).

The 3.0 taps out deep into 4 digit range. I could see it for guys who want to run 4 digits on a 6 rib and a stock balancer, but the 3.0 has plenty of sauce for everyone but a handful of guys who are wanting more than 1300 rwhp.

OP
OP
Racinjason65

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
Racinjason65

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I don't really get the 3.8. I know it's marketing, but I made just shy of 1100 rwhp on 19 lbs at 21 degrees of timing and low .70's lambda. (gen 5 3.0). The car absolutely had 1200 rear in it at .80 lambda and a couple more degrees. That's on the stock balancer (with a 10 rib and a 2.75" pulley).

The 3.0 taps out deep into 4 digit range. I could see it for guys who want to run 4 digits on a 6 rib and a stock balancer, but the 3.0 has plenty of sauce for everyone but a handful of guys who are wanting more than 1300 rwhp.
If I’m buying a 2nd blower for a built motor, I may as well go bigger. That’s just one option to utilize parts I’ll already have laying around. The other option I’m looking at is the Hellion kit.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
That’s pretty much what I’m looking for. I’ll look into that one.
The only thing holding me back is whether or not it drones. I spoke to Hooker last week and the tech guy was nice but non-committal. I have made that mistake with some other brands (cough cough Stainless Works cough cough) on other cars and regretted it each time so Borla is my go-to normally now because they do not drone.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If I’m buying a 2nd blower for a built motor, I may as well go bigger. That’s just one option to utilize parts I’ll already have laying around. The other option I’m looking at is the Hellion kit.
It kinda makes sense on the low compression 500 motors where it has to huff more to make the same power, but on any of the 12:1 compression stuff, I just don't see it being necessary. I guess maybe from the intercooler volume it's probably an advantage.

Sponsored

mech94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I'm planning on using borlas gt500 kit on my gt350 just saving up some pennies for it

OP
OP
Racinjason65

Racinjason65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
The only thing holding me back is whether or not it drones. I spoke to Hooker last week and the tech guy was nice but non-committal. I have made that mistake with some other brands (cough cough Stainless Works cough cough) on other cars and regretted it each time so Borla is my go-to normally now because they do not drone.
i would go with the Borla if it was 3”

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
What options are there for 3” catbacks that retain the exhaust valve feature? I’ve seen the Ford Performance (by Borla) and the Borla Atak, but what I read said they are only 2 3/4”. I’d like a true 3” as eventually I’ll most likely add forced induction (realistically sooner rather than later)
Corsa Performance makes a 3" Catback with active valve mufflers. Leathal Performance has 'em

VoodooIdo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Turbo GT350 and 93 Supercharged Lightning
MBRP has a 3” active exhaust for the 350. Quality is nice , not sure about how it would sound on your car since I have turbos.
Sponsored