Sponsored

Who in their right mind would trade a Porsche for a Mustang?!

volinbham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT convertible
Great thread and it hits pretty close to home for me, literally. I'm a Porsche guy with a few Fords, and I've been thinking about getting a GT. And I'm in Houston. I recognize the pictures from the Houston Police Academy. I've probably run across the OP at some local autox events.

I've had a string of Porsches over the years, with my current being a 997.1 GT3. I have a Focus ST as my daily driver, which I also autocross, but I've been thinking about swapping out the Focus for a Mustang. The GT3 is one of all time favorite cars so it's staying in the garage, but I've love to add another "GT" car to my stable.
You definitely need to hold on to the GT3!
Sponsored

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
OP, your wife reminds me of a young lady I saw at Mustang Week when Ford brought out the '15 to put on display at the '14 show.
She sat down in the drivers seat (Obviously she was a looker, because the Ford guys wouldn't just let anyone sit in the car) and the first thing she said was "Automatic!? Who in the hell would want an auto Trans in a Mustang GT! This car sucks!"

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
OP, your wife reminds me of a young lady I saw at Mustang Week when Ford brought out the '15 to put on display at the '14 show.
She sat down in the drivers seat (Obviously she was a looker, because the Ford guys wouldn't just let anyone sit in the car) and the first thing she said was "Automatic!? Who in the hell would want an auto Trans in a Mustang GT! This car sucks!"
That woman sounds like an elitist bitch, tbqh. The S550 is a work of art regardless of which trans it has.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
That woman sounds like an elitist bitch, tbqh. The S550 is a work of art regardless of which trans it has.
:lol: she was definitely opinionated :lol:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Shadow Black Mustang GT Premium PP
So when I installed the catback I aligned the tips the best I could with the adjustability I had with the rearmost piping. It wasn't perfect, and it bothered the crap out of me (I'm real OCD about that kind of stuff). Another thing I noticed during the install was how close the center mounted muffler/crossover was hanging to the E-brake bracket. I had maybe 1/4 to 1/2" of space between the two, and that was the best I could get it. I figured if it started making contact I'd get in there and figure something out. Well for a week after, there was absolutely no noise/rattling but finally Lia comes home one night and says she heard a metallic ringing from the center of the car during a cold start. I knew exactly what it was. To add to that, after the exhaust settled in, the tips got off center relative to the valance cutouts. A trip to the muffler shop was in order.

I went to a place recommended by a buddy of mine called Bryant Exhaust in Kingwood. A father and son operation, they did great work and were very meticulous about exhaust alignment. I would highly recommend them if you're a local. We got the car up in the air, took the rear sections off, heated and bent the hangers into proper positions, and got everything aligned as it should. We also got about an inch of clearance with the mid-muffler and e-brake bracket after all was said and done. The key is to loosen the driver's side clamp just ahead of the crossover section and rotate the section so that the Bassani muffler is in the lowest possible position.

Before;

After;

About an 1" clearance from the bracket currently. When we came in, the muffler was touching it and rattling away in the trans tunnel.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I had to drop the drivers side intermediate pipe to clear the brackets with my Magnaflow Street also. I did wind up with an exhaust leak after moving the pipe. Problem was solved using aluminum tape for HVAC work wrapped around the joint and the clamp tightened back down. The clamp is just a hair too big. Smelled for a little while until all the tape glue burned off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excellent review. I to had a similar situation where I was looking at a Porsche carrera after careful consideration the v8 was what I really thought I would be happier with. After reading this I am reconsidering my decision on borla s type and thinking about this. Do you have any comparisons of the two? Greatly appreciated and thumbs up on the review.
PM Sent :cheers:

Good stuff! I had 3 S2000's before my Mustang convertible and its the first car in a long time that feels like my S2000.
AP1 or 2? Wonderful cars, had a good friend who drove one for years and let me thrash it a few times. I remember thinking it had the best oem shifter I'd ever felt in a vehicle. It was pretty gutless at low revs but definitely made up for it when on the cam and any time you turned the steering wheel.

Great thread and it hits pretty close to home for me, literally. I'm a Porsche guy with a few Fords, and I've been thinking about getting a GT. And I'm in Houston. I recognize the pictures from the Houston Police Academy. I've probably run across the OP at some local autox events.

I've had a string of Porsches over the years, with my current being a 997.1 GT3. I have a Focus ST as my daily driver, which I also autocross, but I've been thinking about swapping out the Focus for a Mustang. The GT3 is one of all time favorite cars so it's staying in the garage, but I've love to add another "GT" car to my stable.
I think you will be disappointed with the move from the ST to the GT if you still have autox in mind, but very pleased if you have "GT" expectations.

I'm probably in the opposite camp. Had 2 Boxsters. Now have GT 'vert with PP. I do like the car but will probably move back to a Boxster at some time. I found I could really flog the Boxster around town and while I love the V8 it's tough to stretch it's legs without being in a pretty remote area or at the track (but the vert has no roll bar system).

Both great cars.
I agree, but that's a function of light, nimble cars, at lower power levels. They can be thrashed into the fun zone on the street without delving too deeply into imprisonment speeds. I think we will be back into a 981 Cayman S or GTS when they depreciate into reality for us.

I had to drop the drivers side intermediate pipe to clear the brackets with my Magnaflow Street also. I did wind up with an exhaust leak after moving the pipe. Problem was solved using aluminum tape for HVAC work wrapped around the joint and the clamp tightened back down. The clamp is just a hair too big. Smelled for a little while until all the tape glue burned off.
Interesting, I'll watch out for that, don't know why rotating the pipe in the joint would cause you an exhaust leak if you tightened everything down?

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
Things I've learned in this thread::D

1. I'd trade a Boxster for a Pinto. I hate the Boxster

2. keep the detail guy in your pocket. Owning black, you're going to be calling on him ALOT!!!!

3. the wife/significant other is beautiful

Nice choice of mods too.:cheers:

OP
OP
SneakySteed

SneakySteed

@sneakysteed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plates came in, do you think the Porsche guys are going to mind? :lol:The ford guys sure as hell wont get it, but when you buy a plate for 5 years, please believe its goin on somethin'! I did change the plate color to match the car of course.

I didn't like how the borders were contrasting white with the plate frame so I taped them up. Looks much better imo.

Then cleaned the car up and a good buddy came by in his ZR, so we went for a cruise.

Red2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great stuff. Excellent write up man I really appreciated reading it. If if I might say, she couldn't have gone with a better color! :)

That garage of yours though, needs some personal touch. lol ;) a little healthy jealousy coming out there.

StuM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem 'vert
Porsche to 'stang

I did the same as the OP. '15 Boxster GTS to a '15 Mustang GT 6 m/t vert. Needed the back seat and just loved the new 'stang. Both are great cars and no regrets. But....don't ask me about selling my '06 FORD GT for a 911 4S a few years ago. Stupid, stupid stupid! :headbonk:
Sponsored