Sponsored

Who can compare '18/19 MT82 to '15-17?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Per the title. Has anyone driven the '18 or '19 manual and also pre '18 and can provide any feedback? Considering a base GT manual (3.55). Had a '15 GT PP. MT82 on the my '15 was ok but it was a bit loud and clunky at time. Didn't like the burps between shifts at times.

Any feedback from someone who's driven both the latest "improved" MT82?
Sponsored

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
I have an '18 MT82 and have driven a friend's '16 MT82. Not a lot of seat time in the '16, but the only real difference I noticed was the difference in the gear ratios. His clutch may have felt a little bit "sloppy" compared to mine, but he has 36K on his compared to 2.5K on mine (maybe the difference with the twin disc). Both have 3.73's. Sounds like you have more seat time in the pre '18, so I'd say just go test drive a new one. On a separate note, I've had no problem with the shift forks so far with some pretty spirited 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I have an '18 MT82 and have driven a friend's '16 MT82. Not a lot of seat time in the '16, but the only real difference I noticed was the difference in the gear ratios. His clutch may have felt a little bit "sloppy" compared to mine, but he has 36K on his compared to 2.5K on mine (maybe the difference with the twin disc). Both have 3.73's. Sounds like you have more seat time in the pre '18, so I'd say just go test drive a new one. On a separate note, I've had no problem with the shift forks so far with some pretty spirited 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.
Great, make me do all the work! :like:

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I test drove a 2017. I was car shopping to replace my 2017 Camaro RS that was at the dealership a lot for a bad A8 tranny and after it was there for a month last time, the car had to go. I was looking for another Camaro but felt I should test drive Mustangs even though I was not considering one at all and wanted to rule it out. So I saw a used, low mileage 2017 I took out for a spin- I did not like it- the feel of the clutch and shifting. So I read up on the 2018's and it said the MT82 was improved and there is a dual mass fly wheel now. So I took one out for a test drive to rule it out. I liked it so much, I bought the car. The shifting and clutch feel is great to me- I liked it better than the 2017 GT, Camaros and a C7 Corvette that I test drove. The shifting and action I compare to my past 2016 Miata ND, which is one of the best shifting cars out there. So yes, I feel that the shifting is great in the 2018's although I have only driven a 2017 GT on a test drive and not actually owned one.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Bronc. I will check one out and drive one.

Sponsored

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, definitely drive one, you will like it. Mine is base with 3.55 like you are considering and non Torsen rear end. I have had a lot of different cars with M/T and the feel of this box, the clutch and how the rev's drop when you shift is just awesome. My 2016 WRX in comparison was such a pain to drive- the rev's hung badly and you had to impatiently wait and time the shifts so the car would not buck- especially on the 1-2 shift. I test drove mine 2 times before I bought it. The tracking was also laser straight- I was so surprised how good the car tracks going down the road- compare to Camaros and even the C7. It could be just good alignment. It was a tough buy for me and shows how much I like the car as my GF is a die hard Chevy fan- and going from a Camaro to a Mustang....well she tolerated it!

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, definitely drive one, you will like it. Mine is base with 3.55 like you are considering and non Torsen rear end. I have had a lot of different cars with M/T and the feel of this box, the clutch and how the rev's drop when you shift is just awesome. My 2016 WRX in comparison was such a pain to drive- the rev's hung badly and you had to impatiently wait and time the shifts so the car would not buck- especially on the 1-2 shift. I test drove mine 2 times before I bought it. The tracking was also laser straight- I was so surprised how good the car tracks going down the road- compare to Camaros and even the C7. It could be just good alignment. It was a tough buy for me and shows how much I like the car as my GF is a die hard Chevy fan- and going from a Camaro to a Mustang....well she tolerated it!
Good to hear. Great feedback Bronc. The manual would have to be pretty darn good and feel more powerful down low the '15-17 for me to bite on one. I kind of prefer a manual, especially it's a good one. But I've already driven the A10 and it was really impressive.

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
18 owner here I'll do my best to describe the differences I've felt between a 14 GT, 16GT and my 18GT all with MT-82's.

The new MT82 has longer gears which is the major difference IMO. My brother has a 14 GT with 3.73 and my 18 has 3.55's and I've also driven a 16 GT manual (3.73) which felt identical to the 14 GT. If my brother and I do a pull, he shifts almost 2 times before I shift once if we start in second (I shift into third right before he would shift into fourth.) I will say his car FEELS faster because of the shorter gears but my 18 does pull on him.

As for shifting feel the 18 MT82 has some of the slop taken out of it from 16 MT82 I've driven. Shifts are a little tighter. "Lockout" is still somewhat present in higher RPM's. Instead of "lockout" I say it take a little more "ugga dugga". It takes a bit more umph to get it to slide into gear at 6500-7500 RPM but I haven't been fully denied a gear like some people experience with the MT82. I feel the extra pressure required to get into gear with the 18 is normal though as my 2003 GT was the same at high rpm's.

I daily the car so driving like a normal person to work the shifts are comfortable, easy to get through the gears and no complaints. When I want drive the car I find the shifter responsive and gives a better feeling that previous MT-82's, its tighter and the throws are a okay distance. Could it be improved in the aftermarket? Always. But this is the best shifter Ford has put in a Mustang GT IMO.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 owner here I'll do my best to describe the differences I've felt between a 14 GT, 16GT and my 18GT all with MT-82's.

The new MT82 has longer gears which is the major difference IMO. My brother has a 14 GT with 3.73 and my 18 has 3.55's and I've also driven a 16 GT manual (3.73) which felt identical to the 14 GT. If my brother and I do a pull, he shifts almost 2 times before I shift once if we start in second (I shift into third right before he would shift into fourth.) I will say his car FEELS faster because of the shorter gears but my 18 does pull on him.

As for shifting feel the 18 MT82 has some of the slop taken out of it from 16 MT82 I've driven. Shifts are a little tighter. "Lockout" is still somewhat present in higher RPM's. Instead of "lockout" I say it take a little more "ugga dugga". It takes a bit more umph to get it to slide into gear at 6500-7500 RPM but I haven't been fully denied a gear like some people experience with the MT82. I feel the extra pressure required to get into gear with the 18 is normal though as my 2003 GT was the same at high rpm's.

I daily the car so driving like a normal person to work the shifts are comfortable, easy to get through the gears and no complaints. When I want drive the car I find the shifter responsive and gives a better feeling that previous MT-82's, its tighter and the throws are a okay distance. Could it be improved in the aftermarket? Always. But this is the best shifter Ford has put in a Mustang GT IMO.
Thanks, Silver. I had 3.373s in my '15 and although it was short gearing, I liked them. Especially on the freeway as 6th gear had plenty of power didn't "lug" even at 70-75. How are the 3.55s at 70-80? Do you need to downshift to 5th to have any real passing power?

5OhSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT S/C PP2 - '15 GT PP - '18 GT
Thanks, Silver. I had 3.373s in my '15 and although it was short gearing, I liked them. Especially on the freeway as 6th gear had plenty of power didn't "lug" even at 70-75. How are the 3.55s at 70-80? Do you need to downshift to 5th to have any real passing power?
I definitely have passing power in 6th going 75. It helps to downshift to 5th but I can easily pass 18-wheels or slower vehicles without issue in 6th gear going that fast. Downshifting to 4th going about 70 puts you right at the beginning of the power band. With that said an older MT-82 with 3.73's will have more passing power at 75 in 6th than the 18 with 3.55's but at that point you're talking fractions of a difference.

Side note I was able to achieve 28mpg on the way to Mustang Week with 3.55's and the new MT-82.

Sponsored

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I had an 11GT 6 Speed and had a lot of trouble with the trans. I had the trans replaced twice under warranty. AND I do not race the car. Fast forward to 2015 I decide to go with an Automatic this time. Not one ounce of trouble with this car. I now own a 2018GT 6 Speed with the 3.55 rear. I have just over 5000 on the clock and NO complaints. It shifts great the only thing I have added is a lighter clutch return spring and an Energy Suspension shifter bushing. With these two additions you don't need a shifter or other add on unless you are going to beat the snot out of her.

moodywizard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lyle
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Why are you back in the market after selling your whipple car just recently? Curious minds want to know..

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Per the title. Has anyone driven the '18 or '19 manual and also pre '18 and can provide any feedback? Considering a base GT manual (3.55). Had a '15 GT PP. MT82 on the my '15 was ok but it was a bit loud and clunky at time. Didn't like the burps between shifts at times.

Any feedback from someone who's driven both the latest "improved" MT82?
Yes - had a '15 GT with 3.55 and now '18 GT PP with 3.73.
Gearing is significantly different but you know that - first and second gears are much taller than they used to be (note I am comparing 3.73 with 3.55 so there is additional difference in the rear end ratio, 3.55 to 3.55 they would be even taller) so cars feels "slower" or lazier off the line if you don't rev it high.
The transmission itself feels much better - can't exactly describe it since I have been driving new one for almost a month now, but my first impression was that's it's much nicer and tighter than old one. Still has some notchiness though but it's on the original fluid (old one was on BG Synchroshift and this one soon will be as well).

All in all - improvement in terms of shifting performance and quite noticeable one. Clutch spring feels even stronger but it might be difference between new and 3.5 year old one. Gearing - that's more personal but my immediate impression was that I liked the previous one better - but I need to learn shifting point and get used to this one - which is happening.

Overall - '18 seems like a much more complete car than '15. Especially with Magnaride. It's magic compared to Konis I had (which were infinitely better than stock struts/shocks).

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
"Lockout" is still somewhat present in higher RPM's. Instead of "lockout" I say it take a little more "ugga dugga". It takes a bit more umph to get it to slide into gear at 6500-7500 RPM but I haven't been fully denied a gear like some people experience with the MT82. I feel the extra pressure required to get into gear with the 18 is normal though as my 2003 GT was the same at high rpm's.
Interesting. I haven't experienced any problems getting the next gear, and I've even seen 7700 a couple times. In fact, it seems really smooth on 1-2 and 2-3 and just dumping the clutch.

OP
OP
Nomadic

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why are you back in the market after selling your whipple car just recently? Curious minds want to know..
Not officially but could be. Really bc I test drove an A10 GT and was really impressed. The Whipple was almost too much for the streets. Overkill.

This will sound nuts to many but I have more fun paddle shifting and gunning my torquey 15 Golf TDI all over the place since I’m not going insane speeds in a few seconds like my Mustang with the Whipple.

But I miss the V8 gurgle at times and a base GT wouldn’t be too out of control. If the manual doesn’t jump like the A10 does, I’ll either get a base Auto or just keep my little diesel tank for now.
Sponsored